1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/9/23 1:35 p.m.
feature_image

New offerings in our scene are always a big deal, but which new cars were you most excited about launching?

When those cars did hit showroom floors, did they live up to the hype?

Read the rest of the story

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/9/23 1:40 p.m.

Elantra N was the one I hoped lived up to the hype.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/23 1:46 p.m.

The WRX did not live up to the hype when it showed up in 2002.  Neither did the Evo.  "Surprise!  We're going to make the cars a lot bigger and heavier when we sell them in the US"

The Focus RS was good though.  It made no pretense of what it wasn't.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/23 1:51 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Elantra N was the one I hoped lived up to the hype.

It did not, it far exceeded it. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/23 1:59 p.m.

I was pretty excited about the new Nissan Z car, hoping that it would slot slightly above the GR86 but below the Supra, maybe $35K with a sweet I6 and a curb weight of 3000 pounds? I based this on nothing but my own dreams, of course.  When it came out, I was disappointed at the looks, the price, the features, and the price. It's not a bad car I guess, but I was hoping for something brilliant, or at least that showed some some innovative thinking and passion. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/23 2:35 p.m.

The Toyobaru, known as the "FT86 concept" at the time. I was a little let down by the final product's weight and looks compared to the concept (supposed to be closer to 2000lbs and had looks you can only recreate with a Five Axis body kit) but I eventually bought one anyway.

I liked the looks of the Supra concept, the final concept got pretty close and if they ever depreciate a manual could be tempting.

Honda S660/S1000 - great concept, too bad they're JDM-only and I can't really fit in one.

New NSX and i8. Two similar cars, both fun gadgets first and sports cars second, they're pretty cool but I don't think I'd spend my own money on one.

I was kind of excited about the CR-Z but that was a pretty big letdown performance-wise....

Colin Wood
1/9/23 2:39 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

I definitely got excited about the new Z-Car. I didn't drive it, but hearing that it wasn't quite on par with the Supra when it came to on-track manners was a little bit of a bummer.

Nothing the aftermarket can't fix, though.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/9/23 2:46 p.m.

I was excited about the VW Buzz as at the time an EV minivan would have met my needs nicely.  Unfortunately, initial reviews have not kept up that enthusiasm due to the size and how the interior is configured.  And then the pandemic happened and how much I could make use of an EV was greatly reduced. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/9/23 2:55 p.m.

Something that wasn't a super car when I was 10? The GT86. Liked it enough to buy one 2 years later.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/9/23 3:23 p.m.

In 1989 I went to the Chicago Auto Show to see the new sports car Mazda was introducing.  The new MX-5?  Does that car look the same as an old Lotus Elan?  Mazda's really going to make this?  WOW!

I was so excited until they arrived and the pricing came out with large markups so I bought a Datsun 1600 Roadster instead.  

You gotta remember we just suffered through some "okay" cars in the 80's (minus '83-'84 VW Rabbit GTI)

Live up to the hype? I guess.

automotiveflux
automotiveflux New Reader
1/9/23 3:35 p.m.

It's hard to get hyped for new 'special' cars today because they sell out instantly

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
1/9/23 3:50 p.m.

The Toyota Corolla GTS (AE86).

I was a mechanic at a Toyota dealership when they came out. I was stoked that the US was getting these; twin cam motor, 4 wheel disc brakes, sport seats and a 5 speed. 

We had corral way in the back of the property where we put the new cars after prepping them; as it was away from prying eyes you could slalom through the gate and attach the hairpin before parking the car. 

Sadly no one else seemed to understand why I was so stoked about these. It only took 20 years before they caught on.

Colin Wood
1/9/23 3:56 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I was so excited until they arrived and the pricing came out with large markups so I bought a Datsun 1600 Roadster instead.  

I guess it's good to know that dealer markups aren't a recent issue.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/9/23 3:59 p.m.

I don't know why but I was really excited about the new Bronco when it was first teased and I've been happy about how well it's doing now that it's out.  Not that it doesn't have it's issues but from what I understand it pretty much does what it's supposed to really well.  What makes it weird that I'm excited about it is that I have absolute no use for one and can't imagine a scenario in which I'd purchase one.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
1/9/23 4:09 p.m.

The last one that I was stoked about and followed closely, the 6th Gen Camaro,  I went out and bought.  First new car ever.  And I'm looking for a good deal on a 1LE to park next to it now.  I'd say it lived up to the hype.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
1/9/23 4:10 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The WRX did not live up to the hype when it showed up in 2002.  Neither did the Evo.  "Surprise!  We're going to make the cars a lot bigger and heavier when we sell them in the US"

The Focus RS was good though.  It made no pretense of what it wasn't.

"I decided to devote my life to it, and not get sidetracked by all the other bullE36M3 that life has to offer." - Cliff Burton

it must be opposite day, the focus RS is good on paper but E36 M3 in real life. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/9/23 4:11 p.m.

I got really excited when the Type R came out in 2017. I've been trying to purchase one since and any time I muster up the will to seek one out, the dealership experience with any Honda dealer is an instant buzz kill and I go back into hiding for another 6 months. I've had almost every iteration of Civic Si and was so stoked when they announced that the US was getting the highest performing Civic. Sad trombone noises. 

The Hyundai N cars are out of this world awesome. Exceeded every expectation I had of them. Plus I was in and out of a Hyundai dealer in 45 minutes with my purchase, to include loading it on a trailer. 

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/23 4:48 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Nope. I was super excited when the Miata came out but it looked like they were going to be gouged all to heck. However, the local dealer where a HS buddy worked sold them for MSRP so he got a bunch of sales, including from me.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/9/23 4:52 p.m.

The FD RX7. Was so close to buying one but it really didn't fit my life at the time and I was still just a bit  too young for insurance to cooperate. 
Beyond that, every new Miata model. :)

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/9/23 4:52 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
Datsun310Guy said:

I actually stopped at a Chrysler dealer back in the day and they had the first PT Cruiser in the showroom with an market adjustment up.  The first VW retro Beetle had a markup too. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
1/9/23 5:48 p.m.

I've never really liked new cars. Heck, until 5 years ago I didn't want a car built this millennium. 

I got excited when Ford announced the Bronco. I got really excited when I heard it would have 3 pedals. I spent hours playing with the configurator, building up every trim level, playing with every option. I even sent a few emails to my local Ford dealer. Then I really accessed the situation. I realized there are many things I like about my 27yo Jeep that wouldn't be the same in a new Bronco. Ford's electric transfer case(at least in trucks) is slower and harder to use than the manual np231 in my Jeep. Electric windows only. The 2 door is too small. The 4 door is proportioned poorly. Silly options packages kept me from getting the combo of options I actually want. And to top it all off, either pay 20k above MSRP for a stock car optioned other than how I want, or order one and wait a year or two. 

I was also really excited when Mazda announced the ND. Man, that DID live up to the hype 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/9/23 5:55 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

I too was jacked up with the Bronco since I saw them all the time near Detroit.  I put my $100 down online and waited but realized I'm not going to be happy with a $30,000 base Bronco. If I'm spending $45-$50,000 I'd rather have a Silverado 2500.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
1/9/23 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Heh, I have the opposite problem. I'm not going to be happy with the $30k base because it's got more stuff than I want. I'd rather a $25k base, and option it up to $30k than spend $30k base on junk I don't want. So now I'm much happier looking at $40k wranglers.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/9/23 6:23 p.m.
buzzboy said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Heh, I have the opposite problem. I'm not going to be happy with the $30k base because it's got more stuff than I want. I'd rather a $25k base, and option it up to $30k than spend $30k base on junk I don't want. So now I'm much happier looking at $40k wranglers.

I just want a Bronco Raptor at MSRP and less then a 4 month wait. Only thing I can actually see myself paying for. 

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/23 6:47 p.m.

The 2017 BRZ I bought new was a mostly brilliant car marketed by a bunch of bumbling fools who would rather piss off their customers than retain them. Hence, it is the very last subaru I will ever buy new. SOA has their head so far up their sphincter they'd have to look out their navel to see where they were going, if they actually cared where they were going. As long as they maintain their politically correct stature with LBGTQCXYZ community and all the other left wing organizations they seek to support, they don't seem to care about the rest of their customer base.

But the car itself, got so many things so very right, I still kick myself for selling it. Truly the most enjoyable car to drive I have ever owned. So yeah, it lived up to the hype. Mostly. The dealer network however, well they didn't. There is a special place in hell for them and the decision makers at SOA. Oh yeah.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ef6v9W9gknWnixCKIHxMml3fZxhStpQZh5t09MpqWcLSqBdUWGZw2trN7nXLAy2D