1 2 3
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/21 11:24 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Ive never driven one but:

The scion ia has a 6 speed, 15" 4x100 wheels, uses a Mazda 2 chassis, can be had under 2400lbs and meets height vs. track rollover regulations.  I think it would be perfect for a low power spec series.  ~1.5" drop on some stiffer springs, 15x8/205 combo, intake and exhaust ish.

undefined

It doesn't use a Mazda2 chassis... it IS a Mazda2.  Mazda engine, Mazda suspension, Mazda infotainment system, if you get an automatic the manual gate goes forward-downshift back-upshift (as it SHOULD be, he yells at cloud)

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/10/21 11:42 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
ProDarwin said:

Ive never driven one but:

The scion ia has a 6 speed, 15" 4x100 wheels, uses a Mazda 2 chassis, can be had under 2400lbs and meets height vs. track rollover regulations.  I think it would be perfect for a low power spec series.  ~1.5" drop on some stiffer springs, 15x8/205 combo, intake and exhaust ish.

undefined

It doesn't use a Mazda2 chassis... it IS a Mazda2.  Mazda engine, Mazda suspension, Mazda infotainment system, if you get an automatic the manual gate goes forward-downshift back-upshift (as it SHOULD be, he yells at cloud)

That got really confusing for a while. After Scion went tits-up, the Scion iA became the Toyota Yaris sedan. So the Yaris hatchback was a Toyota, but the Yaris sedan was a Mazda2. But Mazda never sold the 2 sedan in the US under the Mazda badge, and by then wasn't selling any body style of Mazda2 in the US. And then after a few years, both the Yaris hatchback and Yaris sedan became a rebadged Mazda2.

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/10/21 12:03 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

My main takeaway is that there is a strong impression that Toyota wants to be a broker/reseller of cars and not a manufacturer.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/21 12:09 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
Appleseed said:

Hyundais.

All of them.

~250hp, 3500lbs, manu-matic 5spd, double wishbone front and multi-link rear.

unfortunately, the camber-giving SPC balljoints screw up effective length of the upright, putting the upper arm well outside its design range... and that's before you attempt to lower it.  Also, the 2.4 with a 5spd is a semi-open deck version of the 4g-something or other, and shares some dna with the 2.0t in the Veloster N, and....

The other ones pictured are just as 'meh' as a Camry.  

A 2.4L Mitsubishi, 5 spd and double wishbones actually has some potential, although mostly in drag racing.  This one made over 500whp on stock internals, using some off the shelf Evo parts:

The 2.4 Mitsubishi is a good engine. My old Ralliart wagon is a 2.4. Instead of the Miata, I drove it at the last autocross. 

On 340 TW tires my best raw time was faster than a tune/header/exhaust/coilovers BRZ, a factory 5 cobra, both drivers in a 2018 camaro SS, an Abarth...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/10/21 12:26 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to NickD :

My main takeaway is that there is a strong impression that Toyota wants to be a broker/reseller of cars and not a manufacturer.  

Yep. I know the rumor is that the next-gen Lexus IS will share the platform and SkyActiv I6 that the next-gen Mazda6 will be using.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/21 12:31 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

You would think so, but Toyota Avalon (long Camry) got 4th in autocross at last year's $2000 Challenge with nothing but a spring chop and lots of tire. And some weight reduction. 

:snort:

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/10/21 1:16 p.m.

AWD Minivans. Is there a manual transmission for these?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/10/21 1:26 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Yeah, its the 2 we didn't get here.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/10/21 1:30 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
Appleseed said:

Hyundais.

All of them.

~250hp, 3500lbs, manu-matic 5spd, double wishbone front and multi-link rear.

unfortunately, the camber-giving SPC balljoints screw up effective length of the upright, putting the upper arm well outside its design range... and that's before you attempt to lower it.  Also, the 2.4 with a 5spd is a semi-open deck version of the 4g-something or other, and shares some dna with the 2.0t in the Veloster N, and....

The other ones pictured are just as 'meh' as a Camry.  

A 2.4L Mitsubishi, 5 spd and double wishbones actually has some potential, although mostly in drag racing.  This one made over 500whp on stock internals, using some off the shelf Evo parts:

Is there more info on this build somewhere? 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/10/21 1:51 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

That's because they had a weight advantage. They got nailed later in the year with BOP but since COTA was the second race, it didn't catch up yet. It was a good factory effort but it was also a class where mostly privateers played. 

Not saying it wasn't a good car but in that class they had more resources than most of the rest of the teams combined. 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/21 4:56 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

In Quebec approximately 15 years ago there was Echo Cup - hatchbacks using Pirelli non DOT tires.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/21 5:13 p.m.
burdickjp said:

The ZZE123 Corolla XRS is a great stock autocross car. It's geared well, has great turn in, and responds well to left-foot braking.

That's the one I was going to suggest too. 

There was guy around here who used to autocross one and run track days at Lime Rock. That car was pretty impressive. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/21 5:18 p.m.
Rons said:

In reply to NickD :

In Quebec approximately 15 years ago there was Echo Cup - hatchbacks using Pirelli non DOT tires.

Quebec has quite a history in cheap hatchback spec racing. Wasn't there a Civic class in the 80s? I remember it being about the same time the 944 series was running.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/21 5:29 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yes, they used the 1988-1991 Civic CX hatch, which we did not get here. They ran at Lime Rock one Memorial Day weekend,  maybe 1990.  And I think Tom Hnatiw  was the PA announcer that year. 

I still have pictures of those cars somewhere. I was working at a Honda dealership back then and I had just bought a Civic Si, so I was all over those race cars. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/10/21 5:48 p.m.

The Honda-Michelin series. It ran at Trois-Rivieres, Mont Tremblant, Mosport, Shannonville  and a couple of smaller tracks. It was often the best racing of the weekend at Mosport....cars nose to tail, bump drafting into turn 2 of all places. Close , exciting racing at pedestrian speeds. I've still got some of the old programs from those weekends.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/21 7:58 p.m.

That's the one.

I don't remember if they were a support race at the 24 hour race I went to at Mosport in that era. Probably not, you don't need a support race when the main event goes around the clock twice. I do remember that there was a square Volvo wagon in the field, though. Most entertaining. 

Rons
9/10/21 9:06 p.m.

1976 to 1979 Honda BF Goodrich - they ran on 165 80/13 s? There were large fields dealer teams of 2,3 and 4 cars. Close racing at Westwood with a reputation for rolling over and lots of body damage. I heard rumours of eastern teams running diesel in the crankcase to reduce pumping losses.

1980 to 1983 Honda Michelin Civics - the recession of 1980 decimated the field they were down to car counts of 8 - 10. Cars ran on Michelin TRX tires and Teviot? Cheviot ? Wheels mandated. They were more stable and way less interesting.

To be continued if you lik. Or not.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/21 9:20 p.m.

Its A small sporty-looking hatch that never got a hot version. The top versions got some fat tires and fog lights and a manual transmission, but not much in suspension or under the hood. Too bad the N division didn't come out a bit earlier. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/11/21 8:49 a.m.

Isn't the Jeep Renegade based on some kind of Fiat. That sounds like sporting potential.

https://cdn1.buyacar.co.uk/sites/buyacar/files/styles/w860/public/jeep-renegade-4xe20-1.jpg?itok=816semzj

https://smokeythejeep.wordpress.com/tag/rallycross/

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/11/21 8:42 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

My only exposure to rallyx is from one mudpit experience as part of a rally driving school and seeing pictures of what you nutjobs do. It was my understanding that ground clearance was useful, although not necessarily huge amounts of it. It's possible this is very course-dependent. I can tell you the rental Hyundai I was using in the mud was dragging its belly.

So I will happily bow to the expertise of others.

Was thinking of you today.  Just got home from one of the roughest rallycrosses I have ever been to, in a bucking-bronco sort of way.

I placed second overall in my ~270hp RX-7, by quite a gap from third place, despite getting a bogey time on my first run.

First overall was a Stock AWD class... Model 3.  Got me by six tenths over ~496 seconds of runs.  We were the only two under 500.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/21 8:56 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Isn't the Jeep Renegade based on some kind of Fiat. That sounds like sporting potential.

https://cdn1.buyacar.co.uk/sites/buyacar/files/styles/w860/public/jeep-renegade-4xe20-1.jpg?itok=816semzj

https://smokeythejeep.wordpress.com/tag/rallycross/

its a 500x

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/12/21 8:25 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

The Honda-Michelin series. It ran at Trois-Rivieres, Mont Tremblant, Mosport, Shannonville  and a couple of smaller tracks. It was often the best racing of the weekend at Mosport....cars nose to tail, bump drafting into turn 2 of all places. Close , exciting racing at pedestrian speeds. I've still got some of the old programs from those weekends.

Picture this -- early 80s, ZOO was ten-ish.  Standing with dad at the bottom of Turn 2 at Mosport -- the buzz squad of Civics comes roaring around.  One car goes off, and rolls down the hill and wedges up against the guard rail, back on four wheels.

I remember the driver getting out -- looking the car over, and jumps in.  Marshall waves him back on track . . .

I'm old enough to question my memory about the last bit.

Rons
9/12/21 11:20 a.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Picture this -- early 80s, ZOO was ten-ish.  Standing with dad at the bottom of Turn 2 at Mosport -- the buzz squad of Civics comes roaring around.  One car goes off, and rolls down the hill and wedges up against the guard rail, back on four wheels.

I remember the driver getting out -- looking the car over, and jumps in.  Marshall waves him back on track . . .

I'm old enough to question my memory about the last bit.

That sounds like a real memory as that’s the action they got up to.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/20/21 10:34 a.m.

Hyundai! 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h2KyH8Rk2rKFHzYfpClXBybbvPpZXMGBkztTiZuYPrphfEz5MLmwMEUvBXFdw92P