1 2 3 4
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/15/15 7:11 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: a light-nimble, visceral feel

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
5/15/15 9:00 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Interesting question. I have a '15 BRZ that I bought new about 2 months ago. It has pluses and warts. For starters, every trip is a journey, in a good way. It simply begs to be driven. Nice shift and steering feel, easily thrown around, and it about the perfect size. It's not all rosy however. It is slow, especially compared to my old 370Z. The mid range acceleration is particularly bad. And while the shifts are short and nice, it is very crunchy on the change. I am going to do a fluid change and if that doesn't fix the problem, then it will go to the dealer for transmission work. Yes, it's that bad. It also has the "cricket" problem and developed it at about 500 miles. The worst for me though is the seats. I have an appointment to have them modified by a shop this coming week, and if they cannot fix them, I will sell the car. As it is, I can hardly drive it. Of course this is my problem, with my back, but it is clearly not meant to be an "old" persons car. In fact, the day I was at the upholster, there were three Twins there getting seat work. So its not just me. Interestingly, I am off to look at a 135i this evening, and it may be my DD even if I keep the BRZ. I am also looking at a 335i coupe tomorrow.

Motul cured the transmission, even though I didn't think it was bad to begin with. No worse than my 350Z, Speed3, Coyote Mustang...........I'm short so I love the seats.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/16/15 1:25 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Which Motul?

Storz
Storz Dork
5/16/15 7:14 a.m.

The sound alone is worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAjxUtk0WJs

maj75
maj75 Reader
5/16/15 8:20 a.m.

I've had a '00 Boxster S, and currently have two E36 M3 track toys. I also have an FRS, my second. My vote is keep the M3 as a toy and buy the FRS. Everyone is forgetting the warranty and the peace of mind that driving the FRS worry free will give you. It is a great DD. You can noon it around and not get your self in trouble. It's also a blast on the track. I've driven my stock FRS at the track and it was a blast. It's low power will make you a better driver because you must learn to carry speed in the corners.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/16/15 8:37 a.m.
Woody wrote: BRZ.

This.

Specifically the Subaru.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/16/15 8:43 a.m.
Woody wrote: That makes it easy. 996TTs are the best bargain in the Porsche world right now, as long as you can get past the headlights, which you may actually be able to do with the engine that's in the back.

A++ would ROFL again

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout Reader
5/16/15 9:37 a.m.

What about a 128i? Quicker than the BRZ and it will be lighter and less problematic than the 135i. If you need more pow, just add the stage 3 intake from the 330i, an ecu flash, and you've got 260 + horses.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/16/15 10:24 a.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: How is the fuel mileage on the 996 or the 135i?

I'm getting around 20-21mpg out of my C4. I'd expect a non-slushbox one to be a bit better on fuel. Also, the 3.6 does get better fuel mileage.

Edit - forgot to mention that this is mostly highway driving.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
5/16/15 10:31 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: In reply to z31maniac: Which Motul?

8100 in the engine, 300 in the trans, 300LS in the diff.

I just put it back on corn juice, so I've got to go out and learn the computer. I can't wait to do an intake and header and get this out on track.

I'm really curious to see how much quicker it will be than my old Miata.

drdisque
drdisque Reader
5/16/15 10:52 a.m.

In my 135i I get about 23 mpg with mostly city driving. I can get over 30 mpg on the highway if I keep it to 65, but I don't so I don't.

Jcamper
Jcamper Reader
5/16/15 11:37 a.m.

I am still in love with my new to me 996 targa. My tall kids and I get a bit more headroom because of the targa fastback, plus the rear glass opens. I paid 22.5k for 100k mile, very well optioned 02 with everything done at 90k( lne IMS, rms, clutch, water pump, aos, overflow tank, etcetera.)

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/16/15 11:42 a.m.

I personally would go with the FRS (orange) over the 996 or 135i. It looks better than the other two, and probably handles better than the other two cars. I have an E36, so the FRS/BRZ would be cheaper to maintain, especially as a DD. I've ridden in a 996 and a BRZ, and the BRZ felt more fun on the auto-x course. I also like the seating position in the BRZ more, from what I remember. I would have to drive all three to know for sure, of course, but to also determine where I would put the Cayman in this list after I drove that, too.

BoxheadTim
5/16/15 11:46 a.m.

The thing about 996s - actually, most 911s I've driven - is that they don't feel fast.

Until you look down. Or get pulled over.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/16/15 12:32 p.m.

I've really grown to like the 1 series myself. They're about the same size as an E36, reasonably light-ish... I personally like the clown-shoe look they have but I know not everyone does.

I'd honestly get a 128i over a 135i myself for long term just because of maintenance/reliability down the road, and there are some N/A bolt ons that can really wake them up. More than E36 M3 power. An casually STX prepped 128i would be a really fun daily driver and track car.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/16/15 2:10 p.m.

In reply to drdisque:

Thanks for the mileage reports! I average around 26 in the FR-S with mixed use. Over 30 on the highway is easy. The upside of being "underpowered."

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/16/15 10:27 p.m.

Went and looked at the 996 today. Little garage that specializes in German cars. Mostly MB. Only open M-F so definitely not a regular stealer-ship. Few cracks in the bolster on the drivers side. New Continental Extreme Contacts on all 4 corners. Little scrap on the front bumper above the front tag on the urethane. Looks like they stopped just a little long and went under a bumper. Didn't get the hood. Other than that looks clean. Couldn't see any oil under the car

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/17/15 12:16 a.m.

Seems like a good deal depending on the maintenance done. The seller had a black ls1 996 for sale a few years ago for $25000.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73579

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
5/17/15 9:23 a.m.

Knurled wrote:

Woody wrote: That makes it easy. 996TTs are the best bargain in the Porsche world right now, as long as you can get past the headlights, which you may actually be able to do with the engine that's in the back.

A++ would ROFL again

Nah, AWD means all 4 wheels break traction, not just the rears.

Trust me, mine does it all the time.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
5/17/15 9:25 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Try a mildly modded 996, it feels like a jet taking off

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/17/15 11:26 a.m.

ronbros9
ronbros9 New Reader
5/17/15 11:42 a.m.

BRZ

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
5/17/15 7:50 p.m.

None of these options turn me on, I vote use your imagination

Rupert
Rupert Dork
5/17/15 8:45 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:

Good looking MG! I know you'll love it! Good call!

BoxheadTim
5/17/15 8:50 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

I have, that's what prompted me to go look for one in the first place.

Mind you, not your variety of 996, but a modded N/A one.

IMHO a modded one may feel fast(er), but either way they're still deceptively quick and are really good at reaching warp speeds before you notice. With the aircooled ones I always attributed that to the engine sounding a little lazier than it really is (at least with the 3.0s and 3.2s I have experience with) and with the 996s it seems because their noise levels are so darn polite.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DnedE4Pu56KARLy3jrIBzzPxzUAgpbILPVmArbxyP5nNWDt8aTcqFYJpMeGQlbcJ