1 2 3 4 ... 38
RedGT
RedGT Reader
12/2/15 10:49 p.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh:

Hey, you're not the only one with a Fairmont! I know a guy tha--

Oh.

Okay, I guess there's only one. Hi, we've spoken briefly at NEPA events. I have the bright blue Miata. Asked you some questions about platform interchangeability of a Maverick.

MisterSmeeeth
MisterSmeeeth New Reader
12/3/15 10:50 a.m.

My name is carlos. I joined yesterday but am a loooooong time lurker and build thread stalker. I have an na spec miata. An na street miata with 250k miles...though I try not to let it hear me say it. Not sure it knows. Also an fc rx7 with an ls motor. Hoping to get it ready for the utcc next year with some of yalls advice and experience. Though pretty sure it won't be any where near the top of that heap of fast cars, I love vir and just want to see what she will do. Love this place and the mag. And that Amy thread ..... epic

java230
java230 Reader
12/3/15 10:59 a.m.

Im new. I have been lurking in the build threads section for a few years. Finally signed up and post a bit now. And started a build thread once I finally had a project moving!

Im from seattle and have lots of things with motors. My wife is very tolerant

emsalex
emsalex New Reader
12/5/15 12:31 a.m.

Add me to the new guy list. I don't post very much. I have two jobs, two kids and no garage so there won't be a build thread from me for awhile unless it's rc related.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
12/5/15 3:08 a.m.
Devilsolsi wrote: I have been lurking on the forums for a while and enjoying all the build threads. I just joined a couple months ago. I am in awe of some of the skill and knowledge that you all have. Hope to some day do the challenge. -Alex

Find out if there are any Challenge teams in your neck of the woods. Volunteer to spin some wrenches or help procure parts. Every bit helps and you're a full-fledged part of the team.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
12/5/15 9:45 a.m.

Well, I guess I should introduce myself, Name is Tim, from Saskatchewan Canada, I have put up a build thread and posted in on the Fallout thread.

I usually keep myself busy with 2 jobs (Napa, and a mechanics shop) and I like to work on my car and help others when I can.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
12/5/15 1:58 p.m.

My name is Jibran. I'm a 29 yr old physician from Long Island, NY, but currently living in Akron, OH. Joined the board in 2013 but haven't posted much. Love this board because of the diversity and the knowledge...especially love reading the "Learn Me" threads. Currently driving a boring (and leased) 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, but hoping to acquire a Boxster Spyder or Cayman GT4 as a fun car when I move to the Bay Area this coming Summer. Having withdrawals after having my first track day at Mid-Ohio last year and not being back, so I hope to get back into it soon...

Outlawghia
Outlawghia None
12/5/15 10:09 p.m.

My name is Tracey(yes i am a guy)49 and i have been lurking for a lot of years(7or8 or more) usually checking the form every day or two but feeling like i don't have a lot to add to the form. That or i am too lazy to post anything that others might find interesting like that i bought a fist a few weeks ago because of this forum and i am not even a ford guy. yes the car is as much fun as everyone here says it is. Next summer i need to go out with the wife and go autocross the new toy. Right now my project is rebuilding a 60 year old garage so i can enjoy working on my project car which is a 68 karmann ghia that is going to be powered by a ej22. I am planning on going for the outlaw 359 porsche look but right now the car is in a thousand pieces just waiting some love,time a place to work and cash.i really need to post on the build form to get some feedback from the other smart people on this site before i start buying parts.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry New Reader
12/6/15 1:15 p.m.

I haven't been lurking too long but feel a sense of kindred spirits as I read through the site.

Since having kids, I've slowed down on the cars but still try to work on them as much as possible.

Luckily for me, as a stunt driver here in Los Angeles, driving (and thus maintaining and improving) my vehicles has some bearing on my career.

And even more luckily, we just moved to a place in el Segundo that has a 2700 sq ft shop that will prevent any further excuses of "I just don't have any room."

The family ride is a very vanilla, very steadfast, very base 08 Tahoe. It does have a weird noise akin to a deep squeak from the rear occasionally when going over bumps or ditches.

The usual steed for mrs and I is an 05 Prius. Purchased with about 110k for the handsome price of $4k from the inlaws, they drove it down from Washington, had it detailed and then demanded $500 less than the agreed price of $4500. I am blessed with generous extend family.

My car of choice is a 98 m3/4/5. Unfortunately, my wife hates it and it continues to give me issues. Which only encourages the "why don't you just sell that thing?" conversation. "Because I like it" just doesn't make sense to everyone.

I had it pretty sorted out (stock save some cool wheels and a great sounding muffler) until the autozone alternator I had just put in started to overcharge and took out my battery, stereo, and something that controls the cruise control and mileage-related elements of the on board computer (still trying to fix).

I had never smelled a fried, overlooked battery before, but man does it reek. I thought it was my cats taking a dump after just running a can of seafoam through it. I don't think the cats liked the seafoam and won't do that again.

The upside was replacing the cats with some healthy low mileage units from a buddy's car that really cleaned up the emissions so it did have a silver lining.

My tow/work rig is an 05 f350 ex cab long bed 4x4 diesel that is my life's great purchase. I bought my house just as the market started to go down ("it's a perfect time! The prices have dipped and I got a deal!") Cut to 2 years later and I owe twice as much as its worth... But with this truck, I bought it 6 or so years ago when gas prices rocketed to almost $5/gallon and everyone was dumping their big rigs. I paid $10k and could sell it today for $15k.

The last two are the most interesting.

My project car is a 59 Morris minor I am putting a "modern" drivetrain in (the 2.3 turbo ford and pinto front suspension was 9 years more modern when I started...) and customizing to make it fit my definition of cool. A chopped, flared minor looks pretty angry.

And my track/drift toy/tool is a 90 180sx - basically a 240sx with original sr20det from Japan.

I left it as I bought it for many years and drifted the crap out of it. I still go sideways but more and more find myself at autocrosses (ftd at the two small autocrosses ive gone to) and hpde's. So i have recently started to try and build it into a faster, better track car. Brake bias and getting nistune up and running are my next hurdles.

I'll be headed to Atlanta for four months for a show about the 4th of January so there won't be an updates for a bit but I might be able to start some build threads with pics.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/6/15 6:49 p.m.
emsalex wrote: Add me to the new guy list. I don't post very much. I have two jobs, two kids and no garage so there won't be a build thread from me for awhile unless it's rc related.

No problem with an r/c build thread. In fact, I think the group would dig it.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/15 8:53 p.m.

I was about to 'plus 1' all of the new people intros, but then I realized this might be faster. You all sound cooler than me, and I look forward to reading your posts and watching your builds!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/6/15 9:58 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I have only been on for just over a year. My name is Thomas, I'm 16, and I used to have a G-body. Now I'm saving up for a sixth generation Civic so that I can learn how to drive stick. My dad and I just got an 07 Matrix to share, but other than that, I guess I'm kinda boring.

You forgot "talented writer", and future GRM Journalist Love your blog man, keep up the good work

thedanimal
thedanimal New Reader
12/7/15 8:57 a.m.

I wouldn't say I'm "new" as I have lurked for quite some time and post sparingly. I will say that this is really the only thing besides work that I check daily. It's also inspired to get more hands on with my cars, for instance I did my valve cover and timing chain tensioner on my 'Rolla yesterday. Granted, not a hard job but one that I've never done on my own before. I've met a few of you over Xbox live while racing on Forza, it's a good group of folks here. So Keep on Keepin' on. Cheers boys (and ladies)

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
12/7/15 6:04 p.m.

The name's Ed, I've been lurking for a few years now and posting here and there for about a year I think. There's a lot of awesome stuff on these boards and I'm learning a lot. I'm an Aussie living in St Augustine, FL after moving down from Canada with my wife and daughter this past May. Unfortunately, the only thing lacking at the property we bought is a garage, so any build threads from me are likely to be minor until that gets rectified. I did attend this year's Challenge and had a blast! I cannot recommend it enough!

P.S. <<-- I miss my truck, and am waiting for the 25-year rule to be in effect so I can import one of these from another LHD country.

jmk015
jmk015 New Reader
12/8/15 6:46 a.m.

I'm new to the forum, and am hoping to participate in some track days and hopefully even the $2016 challenge. I live in central Maryland and am always looking to make more friends in the hobby.

My daily driver is a 2008 Mini Cooper 1.6L with a 6 speed.

I also drive a 1987 El Camino with a 5.0 v8, 4 barrel, and 3.73 Posi rear. This is my parts/bikes/kayaks/junk hauler.

I'm currently shopping for a track car that I plan to race local autocross and 1/4 mile drag with. (I know that's a weird combo, but I live ~15 mins from a drag strip and a local car club that's very active in autocross... so I'm going to do both. Plus, those are the events in the $20xx challenges, so I'll be practiced.) I'm going to try to build it according to the $2015 rules, in hopes of running it in the $2016 challenge. I'm looking for a v-8 F body and am going to check out two local options this weekend. Once I acquire the car, I'll start a build thread to document the progress.

gsxeclipsed
gsxeclipsed
12/8/15 3:49 p.m.

Hey guys! I found this thread and wanted introduce myself. I am new here having gotten married and in the process took on 2 kids who I love immensely I gave up my most recent project car. I am getting things sorted out and should be in a project car again soon.

In the past I have had:

1992 Eagle Talon Tsi Stock Motor, 272 cams, Shep trans, Agp 52 mm turbo, Sheet metal intake, and intercooler, evo brembos

Ran 11.2 at 118 mph in the 1/4

1996 240sx LQ4 swap

t56

PTE 78 mm turbo (custom kit I built)

Never finished but paid for a wedding

The turbo kit went onto another car and made 680ish at 18 psi!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/9/15 3:18 p.m.

Again, welcome everyone. Thanks for joining us.

And, of course, now that you have introduced yourself, feel free to join the conversation.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
12/9/15 6:56 p.m.
RedGT wrote: In reply to snailmont5oh: Hey, you're not the only one with a Fairmont! I know a guy tha-- Oh. Okay, I guess there's only one. Hi, we've spoken briefly at NEPA events. I have the bright blue Miata. Asked you some questions about platform interchangeability of a Maverick.

I remember. NEPASCCA is a great bunch of guys. Awesome enough that I tow up to three hours just to hang out with them.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
12/9/15 7:01 p.m.
jmk015 wrote: I'm new to the forum, and am hoping to participate in some track days and hopefully even the $2016 challenge. I live in central Maryland and am always looking to make more friends in the hobby. My daily driver is a 2008 Mini Cooper 1.6L with a 6 speed. I also drive a 1987 El Camino with a 5.0 v8, 4 barrel, and 3.73 Posi rear. This is my parts/bikes/kayaks/junk hauler. I'm currently shopping for a track car that I plan to race local autocross and 1/4 mile drag with. (I know that's a weird combo, but I live ~15 mins from a drag strip and a local car club that's very active in autocross... so I'm going to do both. Plus, those are the events in the $20xx challenges, so I'll be practiced.) I'm going to try to build it according to the $2015 rules, in hopes of running it in the $2016 challenge. I'm looking for a v-8 F body and am going to check out two local options this weekend. Once I acquire the car, I'll start a build thread to document the progress.

Do you live between Cumberland and Hagerstown? If so, you're also pretty close to Summit Point for some track day action!

STM317
STM317 Reader
12/10/15 6:57 a.m.

I'm newer. Live in central Indiana. Engineering-type job where I play with engines. Cars are in my blood. Dad was a drag racer/muscle car type. Uncles race dirt cars. Cousins are into drifting. Aunt did autocross. Grandpa was a life-long GM man. I like to do SOLO stuff from time to time. I lurked here for awhile but finally joined because of the great community, tremendous knowledge base, and helpful/kooky advice.

My current interesting cars:

72 Chevy longbed - Originally Mrs STM's grandfather's farm truck. It's in pretty nice original condition. Straight 6/"3 on the tree"

64 Nova 2 door sport coupe - Recently inherited from my father, mostly original car in mid-resto form for the last decade

00 Ford Ranger - lowered, boosted, Cobra brakes all around, big tires, etc used for Autocrossing and general tomfoolery.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
12/10/15 5:52 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote:
Devilsolsi wrote: I have been lurking on the forums for a while and enjoying all the build threads. I just joined a couple months ago. I am in awe of some of the skill and knowledge that you all have. Hope to some day do the challenge. -Alex
Find out if there are any Challenge teams in your neck of the woods. Volunteer to spin some wrenches or help procure parts. Every bit helps and you're a full-fledged part of the team.

This for sure. And don't leave out other types of events- vintage racing, etc. There are plenty of drivers out there looking for help. It's a blast!

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat New Reader
12/10/15 10:38 p.m.

New-ish? Been lurking for years, started getting the mag when I was...16? I run a farmer's market and a food hub/kitchen incubator in Southern Michigan, and I'm shopping around for a new door for my '99 OBS :'(

Chadeux
Chadeux New Reader
12/13/15 2:40 p.m.

Hello, I'm Daylan from Kentucky. I've been periodically reading through the build threads section for about a year now and decided to go ahead and make an account the other day. I've got a 1989 Dodge D350 that's a somewhat daily driven project truck. Also in the early stages of putting a 350 in a 2wd 2 Door '96 Jeep Cherokee.

rodknock
rodknock New Reader
12/13/15 7:39 p.m.

I'm new but I've been reading the magazine and lurking on the forums for a few years now. I haven't posted a lot because my practical knowledge of wrenching is limited compared to some of the other members on here. I'm currently studying automotive design at the University of Cincinnati and I would be happy to answer any questions on the subject.

-Chris

frecks
frecks New Reader
12/15/15 12:54 a.m.

Hello. I'm Andrew. I discovered GRM & joined the forum about 2 months ago. My day job is building software for manufacturing companies. My interests are vast & ever changing, but I always enjoy trying to build & learn new stuff - especially stuff with motors, electronics, or software. Most of my buddies from college were gearheads & they got me hooked on this stuff. The stable consists of a 2011 VW GTI (DD), a 1994 Mazda Miata (project), a 1989 Honda Accord (24 Hours of Lemons), a 2010 Triumph Street Triple R (Summer DD), & a 2006 Suzuki DR650 (Girlfriend's motorcycle). This is a great community here & I wish I had found it earlier!

1 2 3 4 ... 38

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gkhmPN7WR3Kp4JcKcZBekAKwxPMrdYrxJQM89vhQLYOBylrRl0uUgarDmh3Kpqu9