surprise

John_Murphy
John_Murphy None
11/3/22 9:35 a.m.

Hey guys, just joined today.

zaidmughal
zaidmughal New Reader
11/20/22 2:04 a.m.

I joined earlier this year, but I suppose that still counts as new. Doug here, and I'm a mechanical engineering student. working in alternate semesters and completing the entire 5-year programme. I enjoy everything old, especially the aesthetics of Japanese automobiles from the 1970s and 1980s. With no formal training and no family members who are mechanics, I'm slowly learning how to update and fix things. I adore this forum's 

VictoryMike18
VictoryMike18
11/23/22 12:51 p.m.

I just joined but should have years ago as I've visited many times while searching for info.

Long-time VW Mk1 & Mk2 enthusiast & big into the 8v SOHC engines.  But I wanted something a smidge newer & safer that I could use daily, so I picked up a B5 Audi A4 quattro.  I also always wanted a nice naturally aspirated V6, which is only getting harder to find.  The 30v Audi engines are pretty complex, so I went with what was familiar to me and got the super-simple SOHC 12v V6 (not to be confused with VW's VR6).  

People almost never modify these given the better options available, and there's virtually no aftermarket support for my engine.  So I'll hopefully be in good company here as I share my project to convert to individual throttle bodies and ultimately run it on Megasquirt.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/23/22 12:57 p.m.

Welcome everyone! We're glad to have you and we're looking forward to interacting with you here.

Lobuk
Lobuk New Reader
12/2/22 2:57 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens I'm new on here so I'm not really sure if I'm in the right spot or not but I got an 07 Silverado replacing the engine with the motor from a 2012 Silverado With VVT and I don't have the option of Taking the computer and wiring harness out of the donor truck my trucks been down for quite a while and I just want to get it back on the road with the bare minimum parts list I plan on deleting the AFM but I believe that VVT is the only thing holdin me up can I use the cam from my old motor in the new one also my old mower has 243 heads and my new motor has 799's do I want to go ahead and clean up to 243 or does It not really matter? And can I get away with using the AFM lifters and still delete it?

09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
12/4/22 9:47 a.m.

I joined just yesterday after my dad has been on here for awhile.

garage2mod
garage2mod
12/4/22 3:59 p.m.

Hi, my name is Chris.  I went to one of the early challenge events almost 20 years ago and felt I found the Mecca for grassroots builds. I've attended autocross and drag events on and off since then.

Moft
Moft
12/10/22 3:41 p.m.

Hello GRM, the name's Eric. I have an '09 Hyundai Accent, which I just bought.  Reading some of the build threads here and on Hyundai-Forum inspired me to purchase one. Can't  beat cheap hatches with zippy handling and stout 4 bangers. I'm pretty certain what I want to do suspension wise, but I'm still contemplating whether or not I'm going to swap in a Beta or boost the Alpha. Either way, it seems like a decent DD. See everyone around!  

CharlesLNC
CharlesLNC
12/16/22 10:10 p.m.

Good Evening All,

I'm new to this whole forum thing so I'm gonna jump straight to it. Toy man's wife told me about this website and told me to join. I have a 2006 mini Cooper S hatchback the belongs to my daughter and she ran off the road last night and messed up both of the passenger side rims. They are bent beyond repair. The car originally had 4x100 17" rims on it stock from the factory. I have found a set of 15 inch rims that are the same bolt pattern but my concern is will the 15 inch rim fit over the front brake calipers without rubbing? I see lots of people going from 15 inch rims up to 17 but nobody going the other way around. Any thoughts would be much appreciated I'm on the hook for this repair as this car belongs to my 17-year-old daughter so I need all the help I can get. Going with a 15 inch rim will also give her more sidewall which will help with potholes and such.  

fj1289
fj1289 New Reader
1/1/23 10:22 a.m.

FNG here.  Joined after reading through the Craigorypeck Twincharged Capri thread and the Vigo inputs to that.   Awesome information!

My main "project" now is my DD 95 Nissan D21 Hardbody.  Changes over the last 5 years have included an auto to 5-speed swap, VG33E out of an 02 Xterra, and most recently an M62 supercharger from an 01 Frontier running on a microsquirt.  More mods to go!

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
1/4/23 8:38 a.m.

In reply to fj1289 :

Happy New Year and welcome! We're looking forward to hearing more about your project on our forums. Make sure to share photos, too! smiley

LionPride
LionPride New Reader
1/8/23 7:09 p.m.

Howdy everybody!

I'm a science teacher from Texas and sponsor for the high school car club.  My students are excited about trying to take part in the $2000 Challenge.  I'm way out of date having sold my last street/strip car 25 years ago.  The local car scene is totally different and motorsports opportunity is thin on the ground.

On the reasons I agreed to take on the extra responsibility is to try and get my students involved in organized events vs getting into trouble (or worse) doing especially idiotic stuff on the street. 

It is obvious I am behind the curve and I'll need some help getting up to speed.  If I get annoying with the new guy questions, try remember my ultimate goal is helping kids.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/23 9:47 p.m.

In reply to LionPride :

Well jump right in.  Do you guys have a car yet?  Start a build thread either if you do or you don't.

clownkiller
clownkiller Dork
1/19/23 8:20 a.m.

In reply to LionPride :

What part of Texas are you in?

myf16n
myf16n GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/19/23 11:34 a.m.

Should have known there was a thread for FNG's. I missed it...

New guy here. Live in NorCal.

Former club level motorcycle racer (FZR400, RS125). I bought a STi in 2005 and discovered car trackdays. Sold the STi in 2008 and picked up a 2007 C6 Z06 and continued doing trackdays.

Z06 mods: LG swaybars, and coilovers, Stoptech brakes on all four corners, and delrin suspension bushings (current project). The car has almost 125k miles at the moment.

AnthonyColucci
AnthonyColucci
1/30/23 12:55 p.m.

I suppose that still counts as new. Doug here, and I'm a mechanical engineering student. working in alternate semesters and completing the entire 5-year programme. I enjoy everything old, especially the aesthetics of Japanese automobiles from the 1970s and 1980s. With no formal training and no family members who are mechanics, I'm slowly learning how to update and fix things. I adore this forum's originality.

Peanu_Keeyes
Peanu_Keeyes None
1/30/23 1:46 p.m.

Another new guy, chiming in. I'm almost two years into ownership of my '96 NA Miata and I have spent a lot of time reading through information in the forums here.  Such a fantastic resource and I'm psyched to dive in and formally join the community. I moved to CT in 2016 as a university piano technician and basically did nothing but work for a few years. When Covid hit, I was fortunate enough to have some time to do some sim racing and then decided I'd try out some lead-follow HPDE for real and see if I enjoyed it. Well, WonkoTheSane took me out in his Spec Miata at Thompson Speedway for my first ever time out on track and by turn 2 I knew I was addicted. Fast forward, I've now had one solid season in the Miata with NASA and MassTuning and I'm currently getting the car set up for more. I'll post a quick write up on the car build soon, though it's pretty standard stuff for the most part so far. Cheers - Rob

tenii9
tenii9
1/31/23 5:31 p.m.

Since I still consider myself to be new, I guess I'll start it. Although I've only been here a year, I wish I had discovered grm (magazine) at least ten years earlier. Wade here; I've been building cars and producing crap since I could stand, and I'm presently a machining student who will graduate in May and enter the workforce, ideally in the automotive industry. Most forums appear to be full of angry old males and young "experts," but this one is full of real guys who are really knowledgeable on a wide range of topics. I enjoy this forum and all the members here are excellent.

1 ... 33 34 35
Our Preferred Partners
tgjuQ6bjuh54DnHcTCYV5G4ERIK0Xkb1H6lhugoGrIY0fKd1hjmjfGvGJLQamao8