1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 38
Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
2/5/16 3:52 p.m.
PushrodRWD wrote: I just joined to discuss the transition from an occasional autocrosser to having driving as a significant hobby. I'm a car nut that likes all kinds of cars and racing. I will go to Formula 1 races, NASCAR, local short track or endurance races. I'm not too keen on drifting or pristine show cars, but appreciate others who do. My debate for 2016 is to either resurrect mu old Z28 and put in a few grand to run it or to spend a bit more and get a more intrinsically capable car. Looking forward to gaining some valuable insight.

Then jump right in and start a thread!

bustedplug
bustedplug
2/7/16 3:52 p.m.

hello everybody! I am long time lurker and internal combustion engine enthusiast since forever.I started off at about 11 when I got a go-kart, a ramshackle affair with no brakes(weight reduction) and a chunk of 2x4 to keep chain tension.I shaved the head with a belt sander and put various different carbs on it as well as an exhaust made from black pipe. also i was a regular customer at the local thrift to renew my brake shoes(anything with a thick sole). I have progressed since then. well some anyway.I started with domestic v-8's and moved through Asian imports and then into the hinterland.Currently I have the pleasure of working on a 5ktq,an e30 318ic and a ford explorer. As well as a tomos moped and a Suzuki gs500.Mostly i just joined the forum to express my appreciation for what grms is and maybe more for what it isn't. Anyone who has visited some other car forums may agree. this site ROCKS. Thanks to all the contributors.I hope to be as useful to the forum as it is to me . Thanks again everybody!!

jwestie15
jwestie15 None
2/13/16 12:17 p.m.

Hey all, Long time lurker here, My name is Jacob. I'm an art student with a particular interest in metals and sculpting and sheetmetal work. I'm in the process of finding a donor for a somewhat locost-ish lotus 7 build. I'm also toying with the idea of building a rally car.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/16/16 8:11 p.m.

Hey all you guys, we welcome one and all, just be respectful and prepare to be amazed by the amount of knowledge hidden within this little corner of the InTraWeb

INVUJerry
INVUJerry
2/18/16 9:30 p.m.

I'm a somewhat long time lurker and after meeting Vigo and after his suggestion I joined up here.

I like dumb 80's and 90's cars so this forum is a nice change of pace for me.

jetmech57
jetmech57
2/22/16 12:57 p.m.

Gary here. Member since Sep 2015, love the magazine! Got a subscription when I signed up for a Track Night America event. Now I can't get enough of either. I drive a 2001 BMW Z3 coupe, daily and on track. It's stock but still a BLAST on track. My original thinking was, get on track and get it out of my system. Reality has been the opposite, I can't seem to get enough track time now. Like most, budget is tight, so mods are slow to come. First thing is a proper seat and harness. still struggling with attaching the harness safely. I'm trying to find an article form the Sep, Oct issue, I think. It was about driving faster on track or something. A great article, with advice that could be applied to any facet of life. I want to share it with my daughter. I couldn't find it in past article section.

johnnie
johnnie
2/23/16 8:00 p.m.

Johnnie here. Joined the forum in April of 2015 and have been buying the magazine at the Boot Ranch Publix in Palm Harbor, FL for a few years and have back issues stacked up back to dunno, 2009 or so. I autocross regularly with an unaffiliated local club.

I've been jonesing to make it out to some GRM events and motorsports events in general.

My daily driver and autocross car is a 2006 NC built to approximately STR spec. I'm fairly active in the local Miata community and autocross about once a month.

Just scratching the surface on these forums, big thanks to GRM for making me feel cool in the checkout lane at the grocery!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/27/16 7:29 a.m.

Not quite new but I don't think I've ever introduced myself. My name is Mike. I've been around cars my whole life. My dad was a dirt track racer in the early 70's and always worked on his own stuff.

I got into racing in college at the local dirt tracks around Iowa. I worked on some cars and sold parts to the racers. I've done some autox and track days but bad ear infections as a teen screwed something up and i get nascious now....booo. So now I work trackside as your friendly neighborhood volunteer race official. With COTA in my backyard, I've had the chance to work at all the major Texas events including NASCAR for the last 3 years. Nothing like playing in traffic as a hobby right?

Had a bunch of unique and cool cars over the years. Mostly Japanese cars with a couple of pony cars in the mix. I love them all and just like to experience as many as I can. I like variety and the differences in the cars.

Keelay
Keelay New Reader
2/29/16 12:27 a.m.

New here, lurked off and on for a couple of years. I was active on a few forums until social media killed them. I hate seeing my happy place a ghost town. On to the relevant. Car guy from Alabama. I've built a wide variety of cars. Domestics, imports, n/a, turbo, spray, s/c. I've done a lot, but I'm looking now to expand my horizons. I've always been a drag racer. I'm wanting now to play in the corners a little, and am starting to accumulate parts for a roll race car. I've worked extensively in the automotive field, was an air force mechanic for some 4 years. I've worked as a heat stress engineer since 2008. I play amateurly with electronic gadgets. I also built a 100 mpg carburetor when I was 14, but the oil industry stole it and wiped my memory. Specifically George W. and some sheik guy. I dont remember it, just have my reasons. Mostly his laughing voicemail.

helios16v
helios16v New Reader
2/29/16 1:39 p.m.

Longtime reader and occasional lurker. I currently reside in the PNW. USN vet, attended college after my service for a BS in Industrial Tech. I'm working in the oil industry as a project scheduler for a contract company.

I have the ever present problem of too many projects and too small of a garage. Current stock is a collection of various Ford & VW machinery. My first BMW just left the fray a month ago...only to let the vacancy to soon be occupied by another VW, once my buddy's horse field is solid enough to drag it out. Thinking about it now...it could be a prime candidate for a $2017 project, even if actually making it to an event isn't practical.

I really need to thin the herd...but the temptation is always too strong. Sometimes I think my worst decision was buying a house.

JAGI410
JAGI410 New Reader
3/5/16 8:41 p.m.

I'm new, but a long time lurker from MN. I have a newly acquired 99 Miata, and a 04 Forester XT "Angel Tears" edition.

RiverCitySpeed
RiverCitySpeed New Reader
3/6/16 10:00 a.m.

Brand new member! Jamie, I own and operate River City Speed, in Richmond VA. I'm a Z-car geek.

chriswadsworth
chriswadsworth GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/6/16 3:17 p.m.

Hi, My name is Chris and I am a long time lurker but never really felt like I had alot to add. I have been in the Army for the last decade and was in the College before that and never had a garage or a steady enough schedule to have a car that was not a driver. Then kids came along and one thing led to another and I was 30 and had never built a car. Last May I bought an Answer (my first project car) and my brother bought an E36 M3 (his 2000th or so project car) Together we are building two very different projects together at the same time. I always knew if I joined a forum this would be it. I love Pelican, LocostUSA, miata.net, miataturbo.net and clubroadster but this is the best place on the internet because of the great crowd and great stories. I am exited to be here and hope to share my build and get some help with it. Who knows maybe someday I can help somebody else too. Thanks -chris-

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/7/16 5:51 a.m.

Finally got my 24 hour hold lifted. Hi. I'm Rev, I just branched out to here from miata.net because I see you guys are a little more creative and openminded with your builds, and the build I'm about to start, I can use the input. I'm also getting ready to start autocross this year, so I'll be doing a lot of reading and looking around, and attempting to search. Glad I am able to post here now, you guys really do some crazy stuff.

cj32769
cj32769 New Reader
3/13/16 1:12 p.m.

Hello I am new here but not new to GRM. I'm in South Carolina on the Georgia border. I have met a few of the people on here at different events like The Mitty,Petit Le Mans and most any historics and regionals I can attend. Wanted to make an official hello reply before just jumping in.

I6MT6
I6MT6 New Reader
3/18/16 9:11 p.m.

Hi I'm in the Detroit area and I've been browsing the forums for used car advice for a couple of years, and have been reading GRM since I got a subscription with my StartingLine AutoCross school last year. I have 2007 Civic SI which I am about to put brakes on for my first track day, and a 2004 Focus SVT that I'm selling. I'm always fixing stuff that breaks, but this is my first foray into prepping a car for the track. I appreciate the tone, humor, and knowledge of these forums.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/19/16 9:28 a.m.

Welcome aboard, lads!

Sagewind
Sagewind
3/19/16 8:21 p.m.

I'll play! I grew up around MGA's, Sunbeam Alpines, Willy's wagons, and Chevy hot rods. To date myself, I was at Watkins Glen the year (1979) that Mario Andretti won the F1 World Drivers Championship. I brought an old H-production A-H Bugeye back from the dead with a complete restoration. Worked very part time at a British repair shop that specialized in Lotus Twin Cams and Jaguar V12s. Drifted away from the scene due to career and kids. Have no aspirations of becoming a race car driver, but want to try auto X and attend a driving school. Currently own 3 GRM style vehicles- a 1973 Triumph Daytona 500 (currently in 700 pieces across the back of the garage), a 1994 Jeep Cherokee, and a new- to- me Answer- a 2013 MX-5 Club edition w/ PRHT that I just acquired w/ 7800 miles. A long time lurker, I decided to join now that I have an honest to God sports car again.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
3/19/16 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Sagewind:

A Triumph Daytona 500 in 700 pieces? Post pictures please and welcome! Make yourself comfortable

Sagewind
Sagewind New Reader
3/19/16 10:04 p.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte: OK, maybe a slight exaggeration, but close... Interesting story behind it- my next door neighbor bought it brand new, sold it to my best friend. We rode it all through college. Rebuilt the engine on another friends kitchen(!) table, didn't clean out the sludge trap(!!), rewired, and painted it. Seized on the maiden voyage, stuffed into the barn. Seventeen years later I got a call from my best friend, "Dad is retiring. I have to clean out the barn, I want the Alpine, my sister wants the Willys, do you want the bike?" It's only 1700 miles away, why not? My wife was home closing out her Mom's estate and had a U-haul rented, driving solo home. Called my Dad & Brother to load the bike for her. When she got home and I opened the back of the truck, I had an (almost) roller and 7 milk crates of bits- not one system was intact! Everything had been taken apart. So yes, lots and lots of parts pieces. I forgot to mention in my original post that years ago I built and drove several Mazda RX-3 wagons- rotaries w/ the same drivetrain, suspension, and brakes as an RX-7. Add good shocks, wheels and sticky tires and you had a real sleeper...

Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
3/21/16 9:16 a.m.

I will introduce myself, my name is Chris Lynch. I have been into autocross and much more recently SCCA rallycross with my 1977 Corvette.

I am a mechanical designer, an airbrush artist, and fabrication junkie.

One of the guys I rallycross with mentioned this forum, I poked around and decided this is a place to hang out

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
3/21/16 10:55 a.m.

Rally crossing a Corvette? We are getting some classy people in here! I may start wearing shoes . Welcome to the funhouse!

Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
3/21/16 12:48 p.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte:

Haha! Leave those shoes by the door....You haven't seen my Corvette yet, 'classy' is not in it's vocabulary

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/21/16 5:19 p.m.

Rotary wagons and slideways corvettes? You guys will fit right in :)

smokindav
smokindav New Reader
3/21/16 5:39 p.m.

I'm not "new" as I signed up a long time ago, but I am becoming more active as another forum that I regularly participate in is slowing dying.

I love the build section here!

I'm a long time subscriber (currently working my way through the 10-year subscription - which sucks because you only get one t-shirt. If I'd signed up every year I'd have 10 t-shirts in the closet).

Anyway, I've had a CRX, 4 x DSMs, 2 x NA Miatas, E36 M3, '79 911SC, '00 911 C2, '97 Mustang Cobra, Audi A4 (these are sh!ttier than an E36 M3 by a mile), Celica All-Trac Turbo, and currently a '14 Mustang GT. I feel like I'm forgetting some...

Great forum - love it! Keep the magazine grass roots - new Porsche Cayman's do not qualify as grassroots. Or was it an M235i that is now a "project car?"

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 38

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4TN101ye2G8dSOgnSw4XLop6tfI2aZmodrJnvLFtqi4sKoSmW9fgEnsoQShxRbGt