Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/21 1:01 p.m.

I've got a weird leak from both sides of my jag transmission. Seems to only start leaking after the car has sat for a bit, like a couple of weeks after driving it. I've read that could be the torque converter leaking down. Is that correct? (And should that be happening?)

But oddly, the leak seems to be coming out of the band adjustment screws. Since I'm not currently having shifting issues, I really don't want to mess with these screws.

The leak is not really enough for me to worry much about yet, but I'm still interested in why and the correct way to fix.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
12/6/21 1:03 p.m.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
12/6/21 1:04 p.m.

Couple relevant diagrams to show the bigger picture here. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/21 2:35 p.m.

What year?  ZF or Jatco?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/6/21 2:43 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

It's neither. From the diagram it looks like a Borg Warner model 8.  My experiance with getting parts for that is get  baking tray and set it under where the car is parked. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
12/6/21 2:52 p.m.

Yeah its a Borg and warner 3spd. 1987 jag 6 cylinder.

Type 66 maybe?

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/21 3:40 p.m.

Ah.  Before my time.  I can fix Jatcos (throw in the dumpster) and ZFs (try 6 times to get it right and THEN throw it in the dumpster) but not familiar with the BW.

jdogg
jdogg Reader
12/7/21 11:38 a.m.

GM 4L80e XJR master race reporting

It's probably a seal under the adjustment screws, that would be my first guess. 1987 thats about right for seals to deteriorate in 2021. Has it had a flush recently?

jdogg
jdogg Reader
12/7/21 11:39 a.m.

I thought those era Jags had GM Turbo 350s?

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
12/7/21 11:40 a.m.
jdogg said:

I thought those era Jags had GM Turbo 350s?

Jag has used a lot of transmissions over the years.  They used TH400s, Borg Warners, later ZF, the 4L80E, then the X308 XJR had a Mercedes trans. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
12/7/21 11:51 a.m.

My (old) Jags came with BW type 35s. Be glad that whatever you have, it isn't one of them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gml6penaW00gmbFFvpuUhV2HrE8EblzwFvBpkzqI2zLtHebzvyvyNnNTaR2CSkBD