1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/3/15 11:07 a.m.

I'm cleaning up my office today. This weekend would be prime for Dumpster diving....

(Okay, maybe not too much good stuff is going in the trash, but it was time to clean up a bit.)

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
4/3/15 11:11 a.m.

What do you have is the question?

David S. Wallens
4/3/15 11:12 a.m.
JtspellS wrote: What do you have is the question?

A mix of auction catalogs, press materials, club newsletters, etc.

David S. Wallens
4/3/15 11:23 a.m.

And to make it interesting, I will send a pair of new, unstuck One Lap of America/GRM stickers to someone who practices a random act of kindness. Do something nice and then post some proof. Later today we'll pick a winner.

To keep the postage easy, U.S. addresses only, please. If you're in Canada, it better be really, really nice because it's kind of pain to send stuff that way.

They look like this. Dimensions are roughly a Uniball pen x iPhone 4S.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/3/15 12:25 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: To keep the postage easy, U.S. addresses only, please. If you're in Canada, it better be really, really nice because it's kind of pain to send stuff that way.

Of course it will be something really really nice. Because Canada.

I helped my friend swap out his snows and steelies today. I even took extra care not to cross thread the lugs on the studs. Unlike the garage that did them last.

So that's nice. Of course, swapping out snows this early in April likely guarantees another massive snow dump. So that's not too nice.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
4/3/15 12:29 p.m.

My snows are still firmly on the car and will stay that way for a couple more weeks.

Winter is not over yet. Forecast tonight -15C.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
4/3/15 1:16 p.m.

I took my 8 & 10 year old kids canoeing today for the first time, nice because I came back with two kids !

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
4/3/15 2:14 p.m.

I taught my 29 year old how to do an oil change. Really. That's what I did after lunch.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
4/3/15 2:18 p.m.

Showed my six year old how to do a compression test, and what valves do and why.

Untitled

But I don't really want any free stuff. I'd feel like a total loser with a one lap sticker, having never participated in one.

As far as nice stuff, I do plenty, but don't like to brag.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/15 2:30 p.m.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
4/3/15 2:30 p.m.

I have been helping people get practiced and polished for job interviews. These are deliberate acts on my part. I enjoy helping people find new jobs. So I it doesn't count.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
4/3/15 2:31 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Hey thanks dude. That's pretty sweet.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
4/3/15 2:34 p.m.

I replaced the pcv valve on my roommates 4cyl 2003 mazda 6 today so his cel would go off. The shop quoted him over 300 bucks to do it, but the part was only 12 at advance. It's nicer then it sounds because Mazda buried it under the intake and made it a general all around pain for something so simple.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/15 2:55 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: In reply to dean1484: Hey thanks dude. That's pretty sweet.

No problem. Your son looks like he is having a blast!!!!

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
4/3/15 3:15 p.m.

I gave a friend of mine a set of Toyo RA-1's to use on his rx3 SP...

Granted, the tires are 4 years old and flat-spotted, and the car is a basket-case that he just needed to make roll, so it's probably not as cool as it sounds.  photo FB_IMG_1428091439218_zpstarnqd5j.jpg

David S. Wallens
4/3/15 4:31 p.m.

Tell your what: It's nice seeing all of these acts of kindness, so we'll let it carry through over the weekend.

Plus if I wait until Monday, this becomes a good intern project.

Thanks, everyone.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
4/3/15 4:41 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Little known fact: Tunakids 1-6 do all of the work on his vehicles, he merely collects internet fame while they slave away.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/3/15 6:22 p.m.

I'll play along, don't really need stickers but to help Mr Wallens see what a great community GRM has raised.

Although I've really wanted a cheap motorcycle for myself I can't convince myself to find the time to fix one up. But a friend tells me he wants a bike for his wife. He needs it to be reliable and in good shape and less than $1000. Yeah...right. With the help of another GRMer we located this for $800

Looked good, met the price requirement but needed some work so my evenings have been spent going through the electrical system and carbs to make it a solid reliable bike for her. Not getting paid for my time (wouldn't want to be) but this is what we do for each other as car people. Got it pretty solid now so I'll spend the time I have left before her birthday detailing it to make it look like showroom new.

Generally knowing the GRM peeps I do this thread could be longer and more meaningful than the GGA thread. It is very rare to meet someone here who wouldn't drop what they were doing to help out someone even if they never actually met that person but for an online forum.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
4/4/15 8:22 a.m.

Dean wins, asked and answered. His post made me smile.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/4/15 9:02 a.m.

I didn't stab a co-worker for calling Miyuki a "junker".... what do I get?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/15 3:48 p.m.

I put shocks, struts, and sway bar links on my friends HHR. Had to drink my own beer in the process, he forgot to bring some.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
4/4/15 6:17 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I put shocks, struts, and sway bar links on my friends HHR. Had to drink my own beer in the process, he forgot to bring some.

Is your friend unfamiliar with garage rental fees?

G8MikeGXP
G8MikeGXP New Reader
4/4/15 7:43 p.m.

I drove my kids from Detroit to Disney. I surely didn't earn anything, but I'm close enough now to dive in your dumpster.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
4/5/15 6:56 a.m.

It wasn't this weekend, but recent. I decided to pay the breakfast bill for a young family sitting across from me secretly. When the waitress brought my bill I asked if I could get theirs also, without them knowing. For me it was an extra $20 or so, for them I hoped it was something nicer.

(I don't want your stickers either, having not been on one either. I just thought maybe I'd give someone the idea to do this too.)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/5/15 8:10 a.m.

I forgot to sign up for the autocross practice day in time, so entry filled up.
I went anyway to instruct and hang out. At least two people had 'ah ha!' moments when I made them do something different and they picked up time. It was an incredibly fun day even though I didn't really drive.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BFQ7ktKEmweAeCh1tDvZTlCu6elwM2td1Ceq8nJlG6az734MkdBhjunaIKclb0rY