1 2 3 4
bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/14 11:37 a.m.

Thanks Datsun, I will PM you.

I am buying it back. It looks like Javelin with be doing something with the carcass.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
6/3/14 1:34 p.m.

Essentially, the DOI is the state agency that regulates insurance companies and their practices. Every state has approved methods for valuing a vehicle. It could be NADA, KBB or one of a few different companies that do valuations for insurance companies. Yes, comparables may include cars not identical to yours. It happens...fairly often. It's usually very difficult to find the EXACT same vehicle....options, mileage, condition, etc... Do a search for comparable vehicles on your own and present them. It's not being "lazy" by the insurance company, but they can't search all over for the exact model to what you had. Proof of value is partly on the owner.

Check with your insurance company and your DMV about salvage retention. Make sure you're clear on what the laws are for the state. Also find out if you will then get paid for sales tax. In many states, if you owner retain, your insurance company only has to pay you the value of the car without tax. If you relinquish, they pay sales tax because they are "buying" the car from you.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/14 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

Not saying they are lazy, I just don't agree that a V6 with a $150 adjustment is equivalent to a fully loaded V8 model. When I mentioned this to them they essentially told me it was non-negotiable.

They seem to be paying sales tax whether I buy it back or not, which makes sense. I had to pay it on the replacement vehicle.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
6/3/14 2:22 p.m.

I know you didn't say they were lazy, I was just refering to the comment from Boost Crazy.

It's not non-negotiable. Trust me on this. I get consulted on high exposure or complicated total loss claims at work. Like I said, find examples of comparables that as close to yours as you can. Shouldn't be that hard to do and send them. Use Cars.com, Autotrader, Ebay, etc... If you can document that your vehicle was truly worth more than what they offer, they will change their offer.

Just clarify they will pay taxes, so that there is no surprise. By state law, they may not have to if you owner retain.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XUdfruhBHg7MqbcUkYPcBnDa1PYtCOdKrZmqsTKz7JJNIaTZUDdogg6rCi0nORBX