1 2 3 ... 6
HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
12/20/22 8:33 a.m.

Now that allocations are rolling in, who in the GRM crowd is rolling the dice and getting one? I'm on track to take delivery in a little over a month. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/20/22 8:46 a.m.

In reply to HopmanJones :

I will drive one once they are on the lot.  Honestly, having a Corolla LE as a rental recently really dashed my hopes for this car.  The A pillar is in a terrible location for me if I wanted to rallycross one.  

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/20/22 9:06 a.m.

I messaged my local Toyota dealer yesterday, got a reply they have none in stock but is there anything specific I need, etc?

I spec'd a Core with the Performance options plus that includes LSD, heated seats, painted calipers and logo for extra $1600.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
12/20/22 9:20 a.m.

45K for a Corolla?  Ummm, no.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/20/22 9:24 a.m.

Seeing $20k mark-up on these, but hey people bought the Focus RS

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
12/20/22 9:33 a.m.

Although I'm not personally getting one, I'm excited for us to play with one when Toyota decides to give us one.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
12/20/22 9:40 a.m.

If it was a full size wagon, I'd be ordering one, but I need more room than this little 5 door hatch.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/22 9:43 a.m.

I thought hard about waiting on the Elantra N for the Corolla, this was before the exact specs and price were announced. I think the Corolla is similar to the Fiesta ST in that all of the development was spent on performance - which I greatly admire. The car will perform well and be a riot to drive all the time. The specs on paper and the comparison tests are only telling half the story, it will be a blast to drive and will crush in many forms of motorsports. 

But, at the end of the day it is still a econo-box inside and underneath. The things you interact with day after day are pretty cheap, and the ability to resist rust, rattles and squeaks is not great. That was fine on a $19K Fiesta, but on a $50K car?  That would bother me. The Elantra is an economy car too, but the level of quality and features on the EN seemed appropriate for $34K. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/20/22 10:49 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to HopmanJones :

I will drive one once they are on the lot.  Honestly, having a Corolla LE as a rental recently really dashed my hopes for this car.  The A pillar is in a terrible location for me if I wanted to rallycross one.  

Good luck. When I wanted to test drive a Focus RS, every dealer I went to wanted me to have the loan paperwork signed before they would let it leave the lot. 

Sorry, I'm not having you put a bunch of hard pulls on my credit and get approved for a loan for a 4 mile test drive. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/20/22 10:49 a.m.

I think they are cool and thought about waiting for one when they were announced. But seeing the markup on the GR86, I can only imagine the markups these things are going to see. 

And I GUARANTEE you, there is going to be at least one dealer who is going to something like put a $60k markup on it, just so they will get some press in the automotive magazines, social media, and car forums. 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
12/20/22 10:58 a.m.

I am seeing reports of dealers asking 5, 10, 20k markups...and there will be some people that pay them. But I've also heard about dealers already lowering their ADM ask after a week because they are ridiculous and there will be very few takers. 

Personally I suspect dealers are going to get away with ADM less on GRCs compared to GR86 because a fully loaded core is around $40k MSRP to begin with.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
12/20/22 12:21 p.m.
HopmanJones said:

I am seeing reports of dealers asking 5, 10, 20k markups...and there will be some people that pay them. But I've also heard about dealers already lowering their ADM ask after a week because they are ridiculous and there will be very few takers. 

Personally I suspect dealers are going to get away with ADM less on GRCs compared to GR86 because a fully loaded core is around $40k MSRP to begin with.

the new car market is significantly cooler than it was when the GR86 arrived last year. 

• Car inventory is better, supply chain problems while not gone are not nearly as bad as they were. 
  • Banks have a lot of liability on the books for unrecoverable debt in terms of over leveraged car loans meaning they are want larger down payments or spectacular credit, etc. 
  • Inflation, gas prices, and a pending recession have reduced the available buyer pool.  

For all of these reasons the GR Corolla, GR Supra, and the GR86 should be available at much closer to MSRP.  

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
12/20/22 1:08 p.m.

I'm on a wait list at a few dealers, but I will not pay market adjustment. I don't need the car, just want, so I will hold out for a fair price. 

Last time I tried to buy the 86 when it came out the local dealer wouldn't budge on a 3k markup over msrp, I passed and bought an na miat for 3k: probably worked out the best for me.

Staying optimistic for now.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
12/20/22 1:48 p.m.

If I really wanted a Toyota, I would just call my son, who is the general manager of a dealership up the road a bit.

Are all the Toyotas CVT transmissions now?  Okay, that is just some of them

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/20/22 2:10 p.m.

I'm #8 at my local dealer which means nothing.  When they get one they'll start at #1 and throw a $30,000 up charge (my made up number) and go through the list if #1 rejects it but he stays as #1. 

If nobody bites they try a $25,000 up charge (my made up number) and goes through the list again. Think of it as a reverse auction.  It will go until someone shows up with money.  

calteg
calteg SuperDork
12/20/22 3:19 p.m.

I know Toyota has said they're limiting production per year, but have they ever specified how many years the GR Corolla might run? I can see demand getting satisfied pretty quickly for something like this. 

I'm with Pinchvalve, the Elantra N seems like it might run very similar lap times, at a 25% (or more) discount

sergio
sergio HalfDork
12/21/22 12:25 a.m.

Track comparison

Honda Civic Type R , Elantra N, GR Corolla on track.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
12/21/22 8:54 a.m.

I'm #1 on the list at the local dealer in rural BC (Core in red is what I want). No word on if or when I can actually get one, but I'm definitely wanting one. I was quite excited for the 2022 WRX STI that never came to be, then this was leaked a day before the announcement and got me all excited, so I put a deposit down that day. It'll replace my base model 2015 WRX as a year round commuter and occasional track ride. I like that there's no "wasted" money on premium/luxury touches, as I don't care about any of that.

Canadian Cores all have the LSD's, but not the painted calipers, heated seats, but not the heated wheel (I'm curious if I can add it easily) and no option for the tech package. About how I'd spec an American one.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/21/22 11:09 a.m.
RX8driver said:

I was quite excited for the 2022 WRX STI that never came to be

Me too. I was all in for one, then Subaru disappointed a bunch of us. That's I "settled" for the BRZ. The next thing up the food chain that really got me excited to put money down on was literally twice the price of the BRZ. 

JAdams
JAdams Reader
12/21/22 11:53 a.m.

If I can get one I will. I'd really love a circuit edition.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
12/21/22 2:28 p.m.

Looks like our local Toyota dealership has one (SOLD).  Bryan is one of us car guys.  

Neat car, but I'll stick with my 2019 Type R.  Glad Toyota is making something like this.  There hasn't been a cool Corolla since my 1987 FX16 GT-S.

GR Corolla Walk Around

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/21/22 7:45 p.m.

Hopman, where did you find one available?  

I was excited about the car but as markups and loan rates have gone up I got impatient and went with another 90s favorite to satiate the want for another car.  I went as far as contacting a bunch of dealers back in April when it was offically released but no one wanted to take my money or start a list at the time.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/21/22 9:13 p.m.
trucke said:

Looks like our local Toyota dealership has one (SOLD).  Bryan is one of us car guys.  

Neat car, but I'll stick with my 2019 Type R.  Glad Toyota is making something like this.  There hasn't been a cool Corolla since my 1987 FX16 GT-S.

GR Corolla Walk Around

Very Wallace like.

Very.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/22 11:05 p.m.

I just can't see paying $45k (plus god knows how much in dealer markups) and jumping through so many hoops to own a Corolla GR when the Lancer Evolution V is already 25 years old and the Evo VI is almost there.

I'm sure you can find a very clean Evo V GSR for significantly less than it would cost to put a GR in the driveway. To me, the Evo is a cooler car ... and I can't imagine the GR does anything better other than Bluetooth and Apple Car Play. 

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
12/21/22 11:25 p.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

To be fair, there is the fact that the GR isn't 25 years old. 

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8vNRJUOXveOxhCTd3GPwjrm6m85S4fiJti50bYzJKee0t0BbfBmbSLo8Z7TgRNaK