1 2 3 4 5 6
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/23/22 10:04 a.m.

I loved my experience with the GRC in Utah and I can't wait to get one on out test track and see how it stacks up.

That said, I don't think it would ever tempt me to crack my wallet, even at MSRP, let alone additional dealer FU fees. Honestly of anything in that category that I;ve driven, the Hyundais have been the only cars that actually got me looking for inventory. A paddlebox Elantra N or leftover Veloster N would be something I would be fairly content seeing that payment leave my account every month.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/23/22 10:31 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I loved my experience with the GRC in Utah and I can't wait to get one on out test track and see how it stacks up.

That said, I don't think it would ever tempt me to crack my wallet, even at MSRP, let alone additional dealer FU fees. Honestly of anything in that category that I;ve driven, the Hyundais have been the only cars that actually got me looking for inventory. A paddlebox Elantra N or leftover Veloster N would be something I would be fairly content seeing that payment leave my account every month.

That's either incredibly high praise for the N cars, or the Corolla is lackluster. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/23/22 10:43 a.m.
z31maniac said:
JG Pasterjak said:

That's either incredibly high praise for the N cars, or the Corolla is lackluster. 

The former. The N cars are magic on track. Some of the best out of the box cars I've ever driven.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/23/22 11:51 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Interesting you say that, I assume you've also driven the Civic Type R?  Which I would've thought would be the class leader/standard...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/6/23 5:12 p.m.
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/6/23 5:17 p.m.

I spent GR money on a EVO 9 MR, mint stock low miles 3 months ago. Love the car. As someone who doesn't particularly care for Mitsubishi, and is a Toyota fanboi for life, really glad I got one. Its a 4 door Elise for me.

Having choices in life is a good thing. Whatever swings your boat.  

We have 5 Toyota Corolla LE (2021 model) in my business fleet. The 2021 LE corolla and 05 Evo 9 MR fit and finish is exactly on par.  the 21 Corolla is a freaking amazing car for $21K. Love everythign about it.   Yes I realize the GR corolla isn't a Corolla LE, but the interior/fit and finish its the same car. 

Tech wise - the GR is head and shoulders above the EVO as it should be. That is hard to argue otherwise. 

The EVO feels special to me. It is a classic I am sure the GR is too. In 24 months I can see having a GR as a DD, but I know my EVO will not be sold, it is here to stay. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/6/23 8:45 p.m.

I absolutely hated the Corolla LE.  I'm surprised you like it. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/6/23 9:03 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Well I don't drive them. My employees do. We had the 5 Mirais, and we added the 5 corollas. For $21k brand new, there isn't anything else out there, that is that reliable, gets the job done for 200K miles.  I think its a fantastic appliance (it isn't for me though) smiley

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/6/23 11:14 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Well I don't drive them. My employees do. We had the 5 Mirais, and we added the 5 corollas. For $21k brand new, there isn't anything else out there, that is that reliable, gets the job done for 200K miles.  I think its a fantastic appliance (it isn't for me though) smiley

Go drive one 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for 4 weeks and report back.  I loathe those cars.  It made a Nissan Juke seem awesome.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/7/23 8:55 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/23 9:14 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Go drive one 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for 4 weeks and report back.  I loathe those cars.  It made a Nissan Juke seem awesome.  

Just for the record, a Nissan Juke has a direct injected 1.6l engine (just like WRC) making close to 200hp, and has an all wheel drive system that does overbalanced torque vectoring like a Focus RS.  That IS awesome.  Even though they look like a special-needs frog that is still waiting for its reconstructive surgery.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/7/23 10:08 a.m.
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/8/23 2:16 p.m.

My rally friend in IN works at a dealership, he shared a black Core model with some packages (cold, performance, etc) stickered at $39.8k

Everyone (including me) were curious what the upcharge was. A day later he commented the dealership was selling it at sticker price. (I messaged that evening but he said it was spoken for.)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/10/23 6:23 p.m.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
1/11/23 11:26 a.m.

I can't decide if red or white is my favorite. I think it depends on whichever color I'm looking at, at the time.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/11/23 11:29 a.m.
HopmanJones said:

I can't decide if red or white is my favorite. I think it depends on whichever color I'm looking at, at the time.

For me on a JDM car like this, it was definitely white. Having seen the above red one yesterday (wouldn't take $55K, sold for 59K), the red really accentuates the "fullness," or the design elements of the car (to my eyes).

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
1/11/23 11:59 a.m.

59k....sheesh

golfduke
golfduke Dork
1/11/23 12:00 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9a2GnMaQ/2023-toyota-gr-corolla-core?utm_source=listing_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=hero

Boy.  I haven't been paying much attention to the GR, or the new gen Corolla for a while, and maybe it's an optical illusion, but the rear seats seem to look like suggestions more than practical use seating.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/11/23 12:02 p.m.
golfduke said:
mr2s2000elise said:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9a2GnMaQ/2023-toyota-gr-corolla-core?utm_source=listing_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=hero

Boy.  I haven't been paying much attention to the GR, or the new gen Corolla for a while, and maybe it's an optical illusion, but the rear seats seem to look like suggestions more than practical use seating.  

I was a passenger for about 16 hours in a back seat of a non GR Hatchback corolla (2021 model) from LA to Montana recently, and it was fine.  Was it as spacious as our ls600H, no? But did it feel the same as a Honda Fit? You betcha. It also felt 5x better than my 21 Tacoma back seats.

For the normal human - its fine. 

My EVO IX MR
Rear head room    37 "
Rear shoulder room    53 "
Rear hip room    50 "
Rear leg room    36.6 

GR corolla
Rear head room    37.1 in.
Rear shoulder room    51.7 in.
Rear hip room    51.3 in.

Rear leg room   34.8 in.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
1/11/23 12:41 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Just for the record, a Nissan Juke has a direct injected 1.6l engine (just like WRC) making close to 200hp, and has an all wheel drive system that does overbalanced torque vectoring like a Focus RS.  That IS awesome.  Even though they look like a special-needs frog that is still waiting for its reconstructive surgery.

Ok so now I want a manual Juke. I can live with this:

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/11/23 5:57 p.m.

But...the manual Juke is just fwd. Have to go to auto for awd and then it's a Nissan CVT sad

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/11/23 6:05 p.m.
HopmanJones said:

59k....sheesh

I'd have to add 7.75% sales tax, plates, doc fee - pushing $65,000?  

My dad would say........it's only money....

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/12/23 8:47 a.m.

As cool as one of these is, For $55-65k there are so many other cars that are just better.  Like an Audi RS3 for instance.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/12/23 9:28 a.m.

I've been on the fence about a "hot hatch" to compliment my fleet of cars. Being a Honda fan boy, a CTR would be most ideal, but the ADM and Honda dealer experience kill that thought for me. I'm seeing the same thing from Toyota too with the GRC. I called the local Toyota dealer that had a TRD Pro Sequoia in, talked about trading my Raptor in for that and buying a GRC with it. They had $20k markups on both and wanted loan apps in to test drive either. 

That puts me back at Hyundai. I had a Kona N for a few months and that thing was an absolute blast. I would go back to that or an Elantra N in a heartbeat and not think twice. Most of the dealers don't have markups on them, they look good, lots of cool tech, comfy seats, and a blast on track. 

At the end of the day my S2000 offers a true Honda experience with lots of revs and the real VTEC, and it will still skunk the twins in a straight line. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
1/12/23 9:39 a.m.

I'm kind of surprised at how plain the "core" looks. The hood vents on the higher trims really add a lot of edge 

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lY2gRYy5Sdpi8r8klsQTyRYXKsTRg0WrJBBUtyzt14k2mXV8pfQbeRBz6v311Ezz