1 ... 3 4 5 6
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/7/23 10:35 a.m.

I officially started contacting local dealers last night (not counting the one late last year that kept sending automated generic emails).  So far a few are listed and at MSRP, but the first 3 places have all said they don't actually have one and won't in the near future.  "Are you interested in any other models?"

Well maybe a GR86 if I didn't love this BRZ with the turbo so much.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/7/23 1:58 p.m.

4th dealer actually called me back.  For $500 he'd add me to his list.  I asked how many on the list so far, he hesitated then said I'd be #6.  I told him that knowing how the allotments work I MIGHT get a car next summer.  No thanks, but thanks for actually talking to me at least.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/7/23 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

For $500 you're on the list but where's he at on pricing when it comes in?  

$5000? $10,000 over MSRP?

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/7/23 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

99% sure at MSRP.  But a friend that works at another dealer said their allotment might get them 1 car in May.  Then they can get another, so the chances od a dealer getting 6 cars any time soon is nil.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/7/23 2:26 p.m.

Jerry:

My local guy has his - I'm on the list but never got called.  I contacted them on Saturday but they were too busy.  Guaranteed it isn't selling for MSRP as advertised on the old web.  Look at all those velvet ropes in the background.

Call them and let us know the details.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
2/7/23 5:42 p.m.

I haven't read all the pages in this thread, but does anyone on here actually own one?  I'd love to hear your driving impressions.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/23 11:14 a.m.

The first on I have seen showed up at work. I need to find the guy that bought it.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
2/25/23 10:11 a.m.

My allocation came through this week, a Core in red. In Canada there are no options, but all cars get the torsen diffs and heated seats, so that's good enough for me. The dealer says I should get it around the end of March or early April, which is perfect for winter driving being over. I'm pretty excited! I put in the deposit nearly a year ago, the day before it was officially announced, then put the order in as soon as the system opened up to orders. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/25/23 4:37 p.m.
RX8driver said:

My allocation came through this week, a Core in red. In Canada there are no options, but all cars get the torsen diffs and heated seats, so that's good enough for me. The dealer says I should get it around the end of March or early April, which is perfect for winter driving being over. I'm pretty excited! I put in the deposit nearly a year ago, the day before it was officially announced, then put the order in as soon as the system opened up to orders. 

are you willing to share the deal you got?

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
2/25/23 5:40 p.m.

MSRP plus the usual fees (freight, doc fee, AC levy, tire levy), no markup. I'm not 100% sure, but I blieve there are regulations against those shenanigans here, but it would vary province by province. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
2/26/23 8:28 a.m.

This thread mirrors the Maverick thread. Pages and pages of discussion but no one can actually buy one. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/26/23 8:50 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

My non- car nephew is looking for a new car.  He likes the Civic Type R so I mansplained to my sister and he the current market. 

They reply; what about the Ford Maverick? Doh!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/27/23 7:17 a.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

The first on I have seen showed up at work. I need to find the guy that bought it.

Finally got a hold of the guy. He drove off the lot for $43k.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/27/23 2:05 p.m.

Finally got a hold of the guy. He drove off the lot for $43k.

so does that mean he got the car for at or above MSRP?  if so how much above?

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
2/27/23 6:12 p.m.

So the answer to the title of this thread is NO ONE. So far at least.

I love how Toyota is making this car, but I feel really annoyed that they are as rare as an exotic. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if I could walk into a McLaren or Ferrari dealer and actually drive one of those cars (assuming I was dressed right) without putting down cash. 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
2/27/23 7:06 p.m.

I did get one a couple weeks ago. Yes, at MSRP. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
2/27/23 7:35 p.m.

I'm just trying to grab a new tundra and am having the exact problems. Not sure it's limited to the GR. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/27/23 7:53 p.m.
HopmanJones said:

I did get one a couple weeks ago. Yes, at MSRP. 

how do you like it so far?  any plans for it?  

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
2/27/23 9:46 p.m.

In reply to ClearWaterMS :

It's pretty great, even better than I expected. It's up my alley though, and I'm a little weird (probably like most that hang out on a GRM forum). I love the simple interior, and the fact that it DOESN'T have dual climate control. I like flying under the radar, but still having a car that is special and puts the emphasis on driving experience.

I've never driven an Evo or GR STI, but people make all kinds of comparisons to those cars in particular. I consider that a complement. The ride is pretty firm but nicely composed...just know you'll feel those imperfections in the road. I just hit the break-in mileage, so I've finally got after it a little bit. I'd say it's very quick...but not neck-breaking straight line acceleration. For a car that is pretty much double the power of almost all the cars I've had in the past, I admit I was expecting a little more straight line acceleration but I've barely had the chance to put the hammer down. 

Where it shines, without a doubt, is the twisties. The AWD is fantastic and the chassis is very solid. Coming from Miatas and most recently an RX-8 I think it's generally up there with driving dynamics of both of those cars, just with a heavier hatchback body. The shifter is good, but it's still a cable shifter so it'll never miata-like. Steering is good for electric, will probably be even better once I get some time with it in sport mode. I wish it made more stupid turbo noises, but I'll get an intake at some point. The stock exhaust is nice and deep at low speeds, silent at highway speeds. 

The all digital cluster and wireless carplay is amazing, it's spoiling me already. 

I never imagined I'd spend this much on a car, but it just checked too many boxes for me. It's probably just barely worth it at MSRP, but not with any sort of ADM. 

It'll be my DD for a while, maybe do a casual HPDE or Autocross. I'm going to keep the mods to a minimum while its under warranty. No regrets, I just hope I can keep my car purchase ADD in check long enough to keep this for a long time!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/27/23 10:54 p.m.

In reply to HopmanJones :

You sir are my hero - the wind beneath my wings.

Berck
Berck Reader
2/28/23 6:14 a.m.

The dealers have been eager to call me back... mostly to ask if they can sell me something else.  One dealer in Nebraska said their markup for a core they have en route would be $10k.  I laughed out loud.

Looking at the inventory, it appears that they've all got the performance package with the real diffs.  Also that the dealers are able to tack on $1,500 worth of crap no one wants which adds to MSRP.

I'm guessing it'll get better, but it may take a year or so.  It was like this with the Focus RS for the first year, but I was able to buy one for MSRP in 2017--and there were several sitting on the lot at the time I bought it.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
2/28/23 8:20 a.m.

It will get better, and may not even take a year. There really are true MSRP, no added BS, dealerships out there, but it takes a little bit of work and perseverance to find them. It also takes patience for this whole process.

Doesn't hurt that I put a deposit down last spring and was somewhat flexible on packages (other than PP which was required), colors, and that I wasn't holding out for a circuit. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/28/23 8:35 a.m.

Yeah all those dealers in Dayton and Cincy I contacted to try to find one are happy to try and sell me something else.  No thanks.  I think I'm done looking, maybe try again in another year if the inventory gets better, just not willing to play the games. 

A friend contacted me to help sell her mom's 96 Miata with a hardtop in great shape.  I'm checking it out for myself this weekend.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
2/28/23 2:31 p.m.

I have a friend at an indianpolis dealership and he did confirm they sold the first one at MRSP. it seems toyota is being nice about this or I'm not sure what the deal is. 

I'm still on a list but I think i should spread my wings and check out some other deals to hedge my bets. I'm comfortable waiting 2 years for this as then my financing will be over for the truck. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/28/23 9:16 p.m.

These things are harder to find than a Type R. 

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vLdpbUeN7Xsc0aqPLbI6mavJd9znecZ3SkkuCRIF09HugeW5YO1fan2rgTPgWKSM