1 ... 4 5 6
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/20 9:35 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

So basically, if you want to not look like a dirtbag, you have to buy a new bumper cover. 

So, having a less than pristine automobile makes you look like a dirtbag? That's an interesting take on things.

- signed A Dirtbag

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/20 12:14 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

California is a 2 plate state ,  gives the cops a good reason to pull you over......

But Arizona is one plate  , so they often get pulled over when visiting .....

Mexico is 2 plate and at one time has decals in the side windows with plate number too !

One of the youtubers I follow "the road chose me" talks about running two plates south of the border and overseas even if your home state does not require them.  Says having two plates saved him a lot of fines and hassel when traveling down through central and south america and africa

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
10/9/20 12:26 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

My truck now has a pair of holes since we're no front plate anymore.  More air to the innercooler.  Never drilled the charger when we got it, would rather get a ticket than drill a new car for a front plate.  

We noticed on my friend's new F150 that the (clip on, happily) front plate bracket was dead center in the grill opening for the intercooler. So that's gone.

Otherwise, $2 plastic hole plugs from your local hardware store and some touchup paint. $30 max total investment. Not as clean as a new bumper cover, but pretty much invisible from more than like 10ft away. I don't usually notice them on my fiesta.

Jordan Rimpela (FS)
Jordan Rimpela (FS) Dork
10/9/20 12:31 p.m.

'Cuz I'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/9/20 12:43 p.m.

This looks to me like an opportunity for manufacturers and states to get together and either have manufacturers provide an attractive and sensible place to mount a front plate, or for states to develop a less obtrusive front plate.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/9/20 1:50 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Like everything else, it's all about revenue.  

See the flat box up there above the a-pillar spot light?  The one with 6 IR LEDs and two camera lenses?   That's an automated license plate scanner, which will instantly notify police just driving around a parking lot or along the street at normal speed whether you have unpaid registration, insurance, warrants out against you, etc.  

Not having a front plate cuts the utility down if you back into a parking space or the car parking behind you pulls up too close.  If you look up license plate scanner, you can find more info pretty easily.

I'm sorry, I meant it's for your safety.

Ah yes the ole "It's meant for your safety" spiel that big government wants you to believe. Giving grandma a citation for being one day overdue on her registration is really gonna clean up the streets 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
10/9/20 1:51 p.m.

not going to read the 6 pages because its simple......

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

red light tickets and speed trap tickets ......

Have a Great weekend :)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/9/20 3:09 p.m.

I am glad both states I have lived in have been rear plates only states (Alabama and Kentucky) 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
10/9/20 6:41 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

not going to read the 6 pages because its simple......

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

red light tickets and speed trap tickets ......

Have a Great weekend :)

In Ohio they passed a law stating that an officer must be present at the red light camera for the ticket to count which basically rendered them useless. Most got taken down.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
10/9/20 8:20 p.m.

When license plates first came out putting plates on front and rear wasn't an issue as cars had big chrome bumpers on them. Plates didn't obstruct cooling or air flow or aerodynamics. With the safety bumper or lack of any real bumper and crumple zones it is an outdated concept that is just kept around because that's the way its always been.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/10/20 8:11 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to frenchyd :

In the modern world it would be so easy to equip your bus with cameras and at $300 per pop, seemingly cost effective, but, the entity paying for the busses and cameras is not the entity receiving the $300 so it will never happen. 

We have done that with some of our busses.  It takes the human factor out of it.  

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
10/10/20 1:33 p.m.

This whole thread has been much ado about nothing.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/10/20 8:52 p.m.
iceracer said:

This whole thread has been much ado about nothing.

Indeed.  Some states require two license plates. You run two or get pulled over and pay fines.  The police have better things to do.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FnET2suumhCNCwV6lGSrbcaBmLK7Nm7h9jalQofiO3kK4TcfcSwJlEpYSbmXPPAj