1 2 3 4
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/22 12:12 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

The later models with linkage rear suspension do seem well protected.  I was working on a '14 today and it looked pristine.

I also like the CVT/2.0 combo.  Shame they are kinda ugly.

My winter beater to get us up & down the the driveway.

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
2/1/22 1:21 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

So I probably shouldn't mention that this is my winter "beater" for this year...

Powar
Powar UltraDork
2/2/22 11:47 a.m.
white_averson said:

In reply to akylekoz :

So I probably shouldn't mention that this is my winter "beater" for this year...

This is the first post in the thread that actually made me react. I'm intimately familiar with what salt does to these trucks, and that one looks to be in excellent shape. I'd probably trade my crew cab GMT400 for a crew cab square.

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
2/2/22 1:47 p.m.

In reply to Powar :

I know better than to drive it in the salt but it did have some rust already so I'm justifying it by telling myself that I'll be doing rust repair this summer. Funny enough, I've been thinking I would replace it with a crew cab dually GMT400. We'll see what summer brings I suppose.

HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
2/4/22 2:21 p.m.

Putting in work during the midwest Snowmageddon

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/4/22 2:48 p.m.
Run_Away said:

I'm in the middle of Canada, where it's too cold to use salt so things aren't as bad as out East, but not as nice as further West.

My last two winter beaters were both $600 purchases with rust.

The first is the '04 Sentra Spec-V6

And the second is my '98 K1500. I still have to do the bedsides and fenders, it's got black POR15 spots for the past 2 years.

My 1997 K1500 didn't look that bad when I stopped driving it and sent it off to be scrapped 

In reply to white_averson :

What's all that stuff under the doors? Looks like paint-matched rocker panels but I've been in Detroit for 30 years so pretty sure I'm imagining that.

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
2/4/22 3:53 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I guess I hadn't noticed anything unusual but I can't claim to be very familiar with these. The truck has been repainted at some point which might be what you're seeing. You can kind of see in the photo that the interior paint is orange and up close you can tell that at one point the whole truck was orange. The build sheet isn't in the glove box so unfortunately I don't know what the original options were.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
2/5/22 12:14 p.m.

Salt man.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
2/20/22 5:26 p.m.

Having fixed the brakes on my 900S, it seemed only fitting to take it out yesterday. Of course it snowed a lot more than the forecast suggested. This is what it looked like after ~150 miles or so.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/22 7:05 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

You weren't out about 12:30 with it yesterday were you? I saw a black Saab on the Saw Mill on my way home.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
2/21/22 7:49 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Nope, wasn't me - I didn't have it out yesterday (Sunday). Saturday I was up north in Columbia County.

(Edited because apparently I don't know what day it is. Or was.)

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
2/21/22 8:29 a.m.

Saw a guy in his 80s driving a very clean C7 Corvette this weekend in snow/slush/salt. Thought of thread and said to myself "Nows there's a guy who won't regret driving a nice car in the salt." I hope he was having an awesome day. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/21/22 9:12 a.m.

Why shouldn't they drive their cars year round? Especially new cars. I can see the argument, even support it and have with my own actions, with classic cars and rare cars. But they're still pumping 911s out of the factory, so... Meh.

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru New Reader
2/21/22 2:24 p.m.

I don't even really *need* a winter beater anymore, since my current non-winter daily has quite a bit of rocker rust forming, but this car is a lot more risty, and is also a lot better equipped to handle snow, and more fun to drive in it.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
2/22/22 1:57 p.m.

Outback/Fozzy suspension? What size tire on there?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/22 10:47 a.m.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
2/26/22 11:16 a.m.

Why?  Because I could.  Car still existed 25 years later too.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/26/22 11:55 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

That's cool yes

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/22 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

I've taken my Corvette to work the last 8 days. The tires suck in actual snow, but otherwise no regrets.  If I behave I get decent mileage too. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
2/26/22 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Cool understates the day, and I drove 90 miles to get to the lake too. I drove it every day through two metro NY winters. I had no top or heater.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RwCwEtl1vIofLINc40Y7T8FZd041zPCsfCWscYwWa3WA9wGAxbat68jRfWxkzJ2I