Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/8/20 4:01 p.m.

So as the title says; add your pedantic thoughts and or peeves

The answer to the title is it just sounds dumb to say "I totally yawed it sideways"  

I'm sure there are others: 

shocks vs dampers or is it supposed to be dampeners.

A starter is a motor and what you call a motor is really an engine.

Before you ask, yes I am bored today.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
12/8/20 4:07 p.m.

Are you sure it's not a different pitch? Like a baseball pitch (not to be confused with other sports pitches)? Pitching in at work doesn't imply any sort of roll, but it does imply a role.

My garden hose is a dampener.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/8/20 4:19 p.m.

Pitch it in and see if you can catch it.  Makes perfect sense to me.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/8/20 4:29 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Some days I'm better at the former than the latter. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/20 4:52 p.m.

Must be *really* slow at work, but I get the point. ;-)

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/8/20 5:00 p.m.

Actually I slammed (term used figuratively) but I was waiting on answers from other people and I can't  move the projects forward without those answers..................I have difficulty sitting still, hence the distraction of this post.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/8/20 7:15 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

That's how I always thought of it.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
12/8/20 7:55 p.m.

I've trained myself not to refer to an engine as the M word, now however it sounds weird to say motor at all even for the electrical thing. My ex's dad used it horribly though. Who says "motor block?" shivers

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
12/8/20 7:57 p.m.

Pitch, chuck, toss, are all the actions. Yaw is the result, probably with a little bit of pitch and roll as well.

Springs absorb shocks, dampers damp those motions. I want to say it's "damp" and not "dampen" but the dictionary says those words are effectively synonymous so that's a hard battle to win.

Tadope
Tadope New Reader
12/8/20 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Well.   Theres both pitch and yaw.  Cuz its an angle.  So its not totally wrong

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/8/20 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Tadope :

But if I yaw it in without touching the brakes then there is no pitch involved. 

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/8/20 8:11 p.m.

These guys pitch their cars into corners on a weekly basis.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/20 8:16 p.m.
dps214 said:

Pitch, chuck, toss, are all the actions. Yaw is the result, probably with a little bit of pitch and roll as well.

Springs absorb shocks, dampers damp those motions. I want to say it's "damp" and not "dampen" but the dictionary says those words are effectively synonymous so that's a hard battle to win.

To dampen is the same as damping, but a dampener is not the same as a damper and thats the issue.

Regarding the original question, pitch in a boat means the boat rocking in such a way that the bow and stern go up and down.  Considering how nautical terms made it into so many other transportation descriptions, I'd bet there was a link there (along with throw-pitch and stickiness-pitch.)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/20 8:31 p.m.

The Audi S1:  500hp from 2.1l, 6.6:1 compression, and a K27/29 turbo (lag you can measure with a calendar).  86" wheelbase, no center differential, and polar inertia like a school bus because they took weight off the front by putting it behind the rear axle.

I like this video because you can see him (Harald Demuth, who drove the long wheelbase A2 back in the day) try to drive it "normally".  Nope, it'll have none of that.  Have to pitch it at every corner if you want it to turn.: throw it in at corner entry and hope you aimed it right.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/8/20 8:41 p.m.

In reply to boxedfox (Forum Supporter) :

Side to side is roll and those guys often talk about to rolling into corners........ No pitch there.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/8/20 8:43 p.m.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
12/8/20 8:48 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Before you ask, yes I am bored today.

Don't get caught yawning

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/8/20 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

The banking provides the change in pitch. Though you do have a good point. They are definitely rolling into the corners.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/8/20 9:13 p.m.

As a pilot I find this conversation funny. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/8/20 9:19 p.m.
Appleseed said:

As a pilot I find this conversation funny. 

We're talking about the verb "to pitch", not ship's putty made from pitch.

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/8/20 9:20 p.m.

Wait.  Pilot, not pirate.

Yarr.  I mean, yaww....

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/8/20 9:24 p.m.
Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
12/8/20 11:11 p.m.

You park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway.

drock25too
drock25too Reader
12/8/20 11:26 p.m.
buzzboy said:

I've trained myself not to refer to an engine as the M word, now however it sounds weird to say motor at all even for the electrical thing. My ex's dad used it horribly though. Who says "motor block?" shivers

I work on forklifts, electric and ic engine.  Customers call and say there's something wrong with the motor and it is usually a gas powered lift. 

Also,  why do they the lubricant you put in an engine,  "motor oil" when oil in a motor is usually not a good thing?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aZpTytaVLJYUl2DW4WqflN3ZN00NYNa65ZfcfBS2OsF7Ojz06MeH29zyxElcOTtL