ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
3/28/14 9:00 p.m.

Because it is on the trailer behind my truck. That is why. This happened tonight. As I am dead tired and hauling some beast somewhere. I just forgot that there was a car back there somewhere. A quick glance in the mirror and.... SURPRISE!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
3/28/14 9:07 p.m.

Took me half a day the first time I hauled a car to not be freaked out every time I looked in the rear view mirror.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/28/14 9:10 p.m.

Worse is when you come around a corner on a highway and see this.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
3/28/14 9:14 p.m.

Came over a hill one time in my little Civic and unexpectedly found myself starting down the barrel of a 155mm Howitzer that was being towed facing backwards by a military deuce and a half. That shook off the long drive cobwebs in a hurry.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
3/28/14 9:41 p.m.

First time driving after picking up a re painted Miata hardtop, it was a burgundy colour. Every time I did an over the shoulder blind spot check I nearly crapped my pants, since there was obviously a car RIGHT THERE!

wae
wae Reader
3/28/14 9:41 p.m.

That happens to me all the time. I've even tapped the brake pedal to flash my brake lights at the inconsiderate jerk that's tailgating me before fully realizing that I'm the one that put that car there.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
3/29/14 1:57 p.m.

I always trot out the line, "I don't mean to alarm you, but I think we're being followed."

ncjay
ncjay HalfDork
3/29/14 3:45 p.m.

I'd like to take a moment and thank all of you for making me feel not quite so stupid.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/29/14 5:17 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: Came over a hill one time in my little Civic and unexpectedly found myself starting down the barrel of a 155mm Howitzer that was being towed facing backwards by a military deuce and a half. That shook off the long drive cobwebs in a hurry.

This made me LOL. My wife is now looming at me funny.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
3/29/14 5:35 p.m.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AWfA-nxVHnM

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
3/29/14 5:52 p.m.

Last week I crossed the train track beside my workplace like I always do and as I glanced right I see a locomotive 20 feet away with the headlight on. After my heart restarted I realized it was parked but running.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/14 7:53 p.m.

My old trailer had the loading ramps across the front of the tire rack. The end result was what looked like a Hummer grille right across the rear window of the tow vehicle. That surprised me a few times.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/29/14 8:55 p.m.

In bet it would be just as unsettling to look back there and find it gone

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
3/30/14 8:57 a.m.

I bet it sometimes happens to the people who follow me when I tow my race car. You see I load it on backwards so the heavier end of the car (FWD)is over the trailer axles and not on the hitch end. And my trailer is low to the ground so the car on it is no higher then your average SUV.

Hntsvl_E30
Hntsvl_E30 New Reader
3/30/14 9:03 a.m.

Even worse when you flat tow your car. Totally forget its back there, then look in the rearview and there's a car 6 ft behind.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/30/14 9:15 a.m.
Hntsvl_E30 wrote: Even worse when you flat tow your car. Totally forget its back there, then look in the rearview and there's a car 6 ft behind.

photo GEDC0175.jpg

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
3/30/14 9:42 a.m.

Yes I am licensed to tow triples!

This setup came out of the plant on Swan Island (via ATT) and broke down near Bonneville on 84.

I was called to drag it back to Portland for repairs.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
3/30/14 11:40 a.m.

The one that really got me was coming to a T-intersection, stopping, and casually looking to my left. Coming around the bend was a car slightly crossed up in a four-wheel drift, and he was drifting right toward me! Finally I realized that it was actually a misaligned rear axle! When it went around a righthand curve, the back end of the car hung out about 6". Really freaked me out.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
3/30/14 11:43 a.m.

There was the time I was driving through a military base when something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. Pacing me perfectly at about 200 yards parallel to the road was a Cobra attack helicoptor, with his turret gun pointed right at me. That's pretty unnerving - "just kidding... this time."

DCharger68
DCharger68 New Reader
3/30/14 5:40 p.m.

Don't feel bad, I towed my buddies 62 Nova home from Illinois a couple years ago and forgot it was back there. Looked in my rearview mirror and though an old chevy truck was tailgating me hardcore. I almost slammed on my brakes.

Basedriver
Basedriver New Reader
3/30/14 10:44 p.m.

Not a towing issue, but a scary encounter. I was in the midst of a long overnight trip. Started getting real tired. Decided to pull off the highway and park behind a few semis to take a power nap.

Well i forgot that i pulled over and woke up about 5 feet from the back of the semi. I stood hard on the brakes in full panic mode bracing for impact. Took a couple of seconds to realize i wasn't moving.

Glad noone saw that.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/14 11:29 p.m.
kb58 wrote: There was the time I was driving through a military base when something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. Pacing me perfectly at about 200 yards parallel to the road was a Cobra attack helicoptor, with his turret gun pointed right at me. That's pretty unnerving - "just kidding... this time."

I've been in remote California desert valleys where military jets do their thing. I think that they honestly like to screw with people - flying 100 foot above the deck right over the top of you. When I lived in Akron OH, you'd sometimes get the Goodyear blimp landing or taking off. It's big! Came around a corner once and practically the entire horizon was the blimp. Freaked my dog out so much I had to sedate him.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/14 11:49 a.m.
kb58 wrote: There was the time I was driving through a military base when something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. Pacing me perfectly at about 200 yards parallel to the road was a Cobra attack helicoptor, with his turret gun pointed right at me. That's pretty unnerving - "just kidding... this time."

Eh, if it was pointed at you then he wasn't leading you enough for a hit...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zeql00pleWDSbbPFOMvl1HUdYZdJnFXJe67re41DpoJGjEo6f3UmNrtDq7lGavBC