Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/14/21 1:18 p.m.
feature_image

Forum member and longtime reader (since the mid-’90s) RevoRob recently took possession of his late father’s Sunbeam Alpine. His dad's original plan was to swap out the car’s upgraded 1725cc engine, but he unfortunately passed before the project could be fulfilled. Now, RevoRob is continuing the dream.

The engine of choice for this project? A Honda K24A2 capable of around 200 horsepower—a significant bump …

Read the rest of the story

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/14/21 3:01 p.m.

Honestly, I am not sure we are not swapping a K series with a turbo into everything.

Every car I see on the youtube with a turbo K series ticks every button I have emotionally except that I am such a german fanboi.

damarble
damarble Reader
7/14/21 8:36 p.m.

In reply to preach (fs) :

TBH I should have K swapped my Datsun instead of the Ecoboost but I just have a soft spot for them.

Justin (Forum Supporter)
Justin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/15/21 3:36 a.m.

When we got our 05 Accord Wagon a couple of years ago I would often comment how good it would be to swap the K24 into my Lada wagon. This was safely in the 'way too hard, but wouldn't it be nice' basket in until the day I was reading something here and discovered the K Miata swap kit existed. Now it haunts me and my only solace is the cost of the kit and shipping across the Pacific Ocean.

Matt
Matt Reader
7/15/21 7:01 p.m.

If you're doing a swap, make it interesting.

I spent many intimate hours restoring my dads Tiger - and it was original, so I can dig the Sunbeam - and I'm a fan of engine swaps, hell, I put a 455 Buick into my 280Z, but this this H***a swap is pish. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/21 9:18 p.m.

Great engines if maintained well, but I can't unsee "toolbox" when I see the valve cover.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
7/16/21 12:51 a.m.

I really NEED to put a British engine into an American or Japanese car!
Probably have to be American as there are just too few Japanese cars I could be even remotely interested in.
May have to work on that Austin Bantam/Lotus 907 scheme some more.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/16/21 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I do hear that--it's not a B16A, but K-series swaps do make so much sense. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/16/21 2:38 p.m.

The Honda K series is a good solid engine, but most people wanting a swap engine for an Alpine are going to be drawn irresistibly to a Ford pushrod V8 (all Alpine owners seem to want to be Tiger owners).

I like the GM Ecotec - good solid engine, comes in NA, supercharged and turbo versions.   And the engine looks better.....

bbroderi
bbroderi
1/6/22 1:49 p.m.

The zetec to type 9 seems to be the most common swap, but apparently the type 9 which is needed is not very common in the states. Considering that Sunbeam partnered with Ford on the Tiger, the Zetec or 2.8 Cologne seem to be the purest choices, however the type 9 can apparently be fitted in the same shifting position with no need for modifying the trans tunnel. Very eager to see a K20 in this car, and with it's lack of NA torque it should serve the stock rear end well :D

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AECTjmqMF9BxBAiLJmNfX6zZjdOnQU27W6U7eoYQRTsceG3TykJd5jQIrjoCFonJ