1 2 3
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
7/16/21 12:06 p.m.

I sold an adapter , flywheel and clutch off a  V8 Chevy that was in a 914 for $250  and  my phone was not ringing off the hook :)

Same set up would work for a 911 ,  but one of the problems here in California is passing a smog test , 

Then its hacking the 911 body for radiator etc.....

If anyone is really looking for one , i think the one up in the SF bay area  is still for sale , probably has a 350 in it since it was built decades ago......

There was a mid engine V8 911 around here in the last century !

will the water cooled 996 have enough cooling  using the stock 996 radiator etc......

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/16/21 1:01 p.m.

An $80+K LSx Miata is not even in the same country, let alone zip code as an LSx Porsche anything.  Flyin Miata have an outstanding reputation as a high quality company with great engineering.  They have that reputation built on over a quarter of a century of hard work, good products and customer service.  A Flyin Miata LS swap is more like a modern Shelby Cobra.  It's a hairy chested throw back to when men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from alpha centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha centauri.  It fill a space in the automotive landscape that no longer exists.  It's a complete soup to nuts swap, everything works, emissions are sorted for those who need it etc.  I don't know of any other X engine into a Miata that has even close reputation or resale value after a swap.

Unless someone like Singer, Emory, or Canepa engineered and did the conversions no one is going to pay big money for a V8 911.  And why don't they do that?  because there isn't a market for it.

Also with a Miata you're trading a 'pedestrian' 4cyl engine with less than 200hp for something with at least twice that.  That's big numbers and impressive.  Even with the lowliest water cooled 911 you're starting with 300hp and it's easire to find a much higher starting point and still have an affordable more modern car.  The big power jump and change of character isn't there.  A flat six is a glorious sounding engine that's a joy to drive and rev.  I have the least desirable Boxster there is with a 201hp 2.5L flat six.  Honestly I get so much pleasure from the sound, even bone stock, driving up through the gears I wouldn't give that up for another 100hp, seriously.

Regardless of what make of engine you are looking to swap into what car, as you move further up the automotive food chain in price and badge appeal, the more resistance there is to engine swaps from outside the same manufacturer.  Bung a 60's Caddy V8 in a Fiesta and people will cheer.  Suggest putting a Subaru engine in a Ferrari and Ferrari Chat forum may well start petitioning the international courts to have you arrested and imprisoned for crimes against the ghost of Enzo himself.

Finally, anyone who's interested in a V8 911 is going to sped at least five mins Googling before starting. They will find lot's of bad news stories about the go too conversion house and most likely run away.  The exception are serious DIYers (GRMers) or angling for YouTube hits.  You're average (not GRMer) 911 enthusiast is still going to hear LSx = Chubby V8 = heavy.  Facts don't matter to a lot of people.  Many. many car enthusiasts, particularly European or Asian car enthusiasts, still equate push rod V8's as big, heavy, old fashioned tech.  We know the truth that what matters is package size for the full engine inc. intake, headers, ancillaries etc, and an LS is possibly better and smaller than a flat six, weight, output and efficiency.  Just looking at an engine as a black box energy in for energy out an LS is an incredibly efficient piece of engineering.  There are millions of people who will never accept that no matter what you show them.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/21 1:10 p.m.

Understood. It'll take a renegade to LS swap a 911 with a bad engine ;)

Funny, I actually have two friends here in town with LS powered Porsches when I think about it. And I only have three friends here in town with Porsches. At least, apparently I do. I've actually never seen the one that has the Porsche engine.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/21 5:00 p.m.

I have a feeling that this car might be getting Tesla swapped.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/21 9:41 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

You are correct there.  Porsche purists are definitely a thing.  At heart, I'm a your car, enjoy it how you want guy.  I've owned so many makes and kinds of cars. My LS swap wish list is 1970s GM centric for ease and parts availability or a Miata. I've seen a few Porsche LS swaps in person and it seems really problematic.  And in the end, you can always get a used 911 turbo motor for a 996 if you just want insane speed.  

Any makes purist community is interesting, and I appreciate museum quality cars, but that's not me.  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/21 9:54 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
We know the truth that what matters is package size for the full engine inc. intake, headers, ancillaries etc, and an LS is possibly better and smaller than a flat six, weight, output and efficiency.  Just looking at an engine as a black box energy in for energy out an LS is an incredibly efficient piece of engineering.  There are millions of people who will never accept that no matter what you show them.

Your truth should take a closer look at flat sixes.  They are tiny, light, and can make insane power for their displacement.  The LS is not better in these regards.  The flat six designs has problems but they are none of the things you suggest.  The LS isn't perfect either but it's probably the best most widely available IC engine ever.  

Money no object I'd have a twin turbo Ruf yellowbird and I would put it up against LS anything.  

The huge advantage the LS has is price and that's why you see them in everything including Porsche's.  One blown flat six pays for an entire LS plus the swap.  Blow two engines on the track and the LS car becomes a huge bargain.

The thought of blowing up engines is why my 911 is gone and I bought a Chevy.  I can blow up 5 engines in my Chevy and never come close to the cost of one Porsche engine.

catzop
catzop New Reader
7/17/21 2:40 a.m.

I think I may just start looking at 968s. It's odd enough and you don't see them everyday.  tomzpot mobdro

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/21 6:03 a.m.

Canoe

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/17/21 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

PCA could care less.  Nobody cared when I ran my LSx powered 951 with them.  Please don't take offense, but an ND miata is NOT the same as a 911 and what devalues a 911 simply won't for an ND.  Also a professionally LS swapped Flyin Miata built car is NOT the same as one built by a amateur wrench.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/21 7:10 p.m.

Hey, I was told that an LS swap devalues a car. I simply provided a counter example :)

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/19/21 3:33 p.m.
preach (fs) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Nothing an LS won't fix :)

Seriously.

I get asked all the time what will I do if I blow up the engine in my 987.1 (OMG the IMS Issue!!! /rolleyes). My answer is always aluminum LS or turbo K-series.

The car is stupid fun with 300hp at the wheels forget about 4-500.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I7rzYTpqQvz5cdShZsueFmfE37JRsMLYyeanhmjgtpkYzYVwplDbtwPNSDm2cbAg