1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/15/13 12:29 p.m.

1988 Suzuki Samurai tin top 1.6 tracker conversion fuel injected. Spring over axle conversion, winch bumper/ grill guard 285's on 16's 1.5" wheel spacers and driveshaft spacers. Have reverse shackle kit and YJ springs to go under it with spider trax shock relocater all new with two new shocks. Have two new hog heads with 5.13's gears set up and ready to install. Heat, radio, air horns, rhino lined floor pans. 4WD works great hubs lock in 4WD HI and 4WD LO

It's time to go play in the dirt. Another no cash transfer.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/13 12:36 p.m.

you should, get it enjoy, when enjoyment stops, either 22RE or TDI swap

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/13 12:37 p.m.

Why shouldn't you? Hell if I know. That's nicer than mine.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
11/15/13 12:38 p.m.

Sure looks nice to me.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
11/15/13 12:42 p.m.

that looks like fun

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/15/13 12:43 p.m.

I'm sure I can think of some reasons not to... but they're escaping me at the moment... the vanilla porter I had with lunch says, "go for it!"

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/15/13 12:45 p.m.

Because that's a young guy's truck.

30 minutes down the road, you'll be exhausted from the road noise, tire noise, rattling body and interior, stiff suspension, and bouncy tires.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/15/13 12:45 p.m.

I think you don't want it so some of the other scoundrels on here can snipe it out from under you.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/15/13 12:47 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I think you don't want it so some of the other scoundrels on here can snipe it out from under you.

Yes... notice he didn't post a link to the ad... only the text...

Toyman01
11/15/13 12:49 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Because that's a young guy's truck. 30 minutes down the road, you'll be exhausted from the road noise, tire noise, rattling body and interior, stiff suspension, and bouncy tires.

I've always got the E24 for good riding comfort. It won't be a DD.

Toyman01
11/15/13 12:51 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
mndsm wrote: I think you don't want it so some of the other scoundrels on here can snipe it out from under you.
Yes... notice he didn't post a link to the ad... only the text...

I wouldn't do that, would I...

At night, but not last night.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/15/13 1:30 p.m.

I've had three, all soft tops. I always wanted to have one of each. The "Rock Lobster" type extreme low range transfer case gears (which also lower overall gearing somewhat, is... AWESOMMMMMMMME!

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/zuki.jpg.html][/URL]

I DD'd mine all year in New England. I'd do it now if I didn't have three kids and a wife!

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
11/15/13 1:56 p.m.

It's for off-roading right??? Not for posing and going to the local 7eleven right???

Because Samurai + road =

And a lifted, big-tired samy is even worst. But for going slowly and cheaply trough mud and rocks and forest, there's nothing better.

GameboyRMH
11/15/13 2:02 p.m.

Pic above isn't loading...

My Samurai isn't that bad on the street, but then everyone else here drives so slow I can pass them with it, and the roads are so bad that I can go faster and get a smoother ride in the Sammy.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
11/15/13 2:08 p.m.

That thing looks like it wants to fall over just standing still.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
11/15/13 2:09 p.m.

Never realized how much the hardtop version looked like a baby Geladenwagen until now. Maybe because almost all of the ones I see are ragtops.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/15/13 2:09 p.m.

The thing about the Samurai you have to remember is its based on a 25HP Japanese Kei truck from the late 60s. So the fact that somewhat drivable and crash survivable past 40mph is a miracle of over engineering.

I think of them more as road legal tractors.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/15/13 2:13 p.m.

I had one, ragtop, with a 1.6 (they come with a 1.3) lockers on both axles, SOA swap. Nice vehicle, great for off-road.

Do NOT confuse this with a Miata! Apples & Oranges my friend. You won't be in the left lane, you won't be in a cushy Benz, you may or may not need to wear a kidney belt; BUT great little off-roaders! With lockers and some saddle time you can go in places Jeep guys envy.

Why wouldn't you want one?

Dan

gofastbobby
gofastbobby New Reader
11/15/13 2:13 p.m.

you want that, no reason to not want it.

Now, I am having a hard time remembering why I sold mine...

GameboyRMH
11/15/13 2:16 p.m.
mtn wrote: That thing looks like it wants to fall over just standing still.

Samurais have a lower center of gravity than they look like...a lot of the heavy stuff is at or below floor level. The engine sits a good bit below the sides of the engine bay (top of the valve cover is roughly level with the bay sides when the hood is up), the crank is close to floor level. And you see that "beltline?" Above that it's just a few sheets of glass and steel - not even much steel on the soft tops.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/15/13 2:28 p.m.

With skinnier tires it would be that Dodge in the earlier video.

Toyman01
11/15/13 2:30 p.m.

I'm meeting the guy tomorrow at 1:00pm at the half way point. He's about 3 hours away from me. We'll see what happens. Unless it's a total POS, I'll be driving it home tomorrow afternoon.

I've been keeping an eye out for one of these or a Cherokee for a while. This guy happens to be interested in a trade for a trailer. I do like no money deals and I have too many trailers.

Toyman01
11/17/13 7:31 p.m.

Well, Saturday fell through, Sunday was out. Now we are shooting tomorrow afternoon.

We shall see. I'm hopeful.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/17/13 8:20 p.m.

I'll answer your question, cuz it's not a Jeep. There I said it, sorry.
I'm sure it's fun though, and I know they're capable.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/17/13 10:07 p.m.

I know you don't live in the rust belt...but check thoroughly for rust. I've never seen a vehicle look so nice and solid on the outside, and be completely dissolved of all steel as my old Sidekick.

Seriously, the frame was rusted through in a handful of places, including between the front suspension pickups, both front floor pans, and the entire rear floor pan. Yet there was no visible rust from the outside, and it wasn't even that obvious from underneath.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ewAzACrEhiV3DobmfGL6REu1D4Zka0KCmISvmDlCaugY7anheXZxxn1Qpe9Hd6nW