1 2
glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/14/17 11:39 a.m.
java230 wrote:
glueguy wrote: WhiteZombie, will pm you
Sounds like your the local GRM weird insurance guy. Will you send me a message as well? I have a weird truck needing insurance...

pm sent

WhiteZombie
WhiteZombie New Reader
3/21/17 11:06 p.m.

In reply to glueguy:

Cool! I just checked my junk mail, saw your email, and replied to the address you had listed in the text.
Look forward to hearing from you!
Thanks! -Brian

Fuelrush
Fuelrush New Reader
3/27/17 7:06 p.m.

I have a need for insurance. I have a Exige, Exocet on the way, and a 16 diesel 3500. The two barely move as we have two other dailys. When its time to add the Exocet that will be 3 barely moving cars. Statefarm is charging me high dollar for these two. I hope to change for sure before to long. Not sure where to start looking.

glueguy
4/11/17 6:13 p.m.

Fuelrush, sent you a pm. Contact me if you don't get it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/17 6:27 p.m.

It costs me $383/year to have Hagerty agreed-value on the Cobra for $11,500. I added a track day policy for the Track Night in America event I'm going to for $102 to cover it on-track. When the car got hit last year I had a check in less than 48 hours. When the frame shop found additional damage, they got that covered in less than 24, no arguments. I can't recommend them enough.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/11/17 6:37 p.m.

I tried Hagerty for the Vette, but they wouldn't insure it. Despite the fact I work from home & SWMBO works a mile away they still required I have a 2nd vehicle. It's a shame as I'd love to give them a chance.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/11/17 6:53 p.m.

Check your regular insurance carrier. I got a better deal on my car, than all the others. A problem with specialty insurance is if you have driving age kids. My youngest is 24 has her own car/insurance, would not do it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
4/11/17 8:48 p.m.

Interested for the 996TT and others as they become road ready. PM requested.

glueguy
4/11/17 8:56 p.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: I tried Hagerty for the Vette, but they wouldn't insure it. Despite the fact I work from home & SWMBO works a mile away they still required I have a 2nd vehicle. It's a shame as I'd love to give them a chance.

Yep, it's a bad deal. One of the key aspects to specialty insurance is that the car can't be considered primary transportation, so they all (that I know) require proof of one daily per driver in the house.

glueguy
4/11/17 8:58 p.m.
Dirtydog wrote: Check your regular insurance carrier. I got a better deal on my car, than all the others. A problem with specialty insurance is if you have driving age kids. My youngest is 24 has her own car/insurance, would not do it.

You should be able to exclude them. This isn't uncommon, and we do it for our own cars. Our teens can't drive them.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer Reader
4/12/17 9:43 a.m.

I just put my 94 Miata on specialty insurance with Grundy. Coming from state farm where I was paying $58 a month for a car that is a serious garage queen. With Grundy I'm now paying $10 a month this is for $7000 claimed value. The other good thing is that they expect a car like this to be modified and you can insure it as such. They also let you pick how much mileage you put on it a year. Only thing is as others have stated you need to prove the other licenced drivers in the house have a daily. The only other thing I don't like is that you can't use it for timed events so no Autocross, hill climbs etc. Even though the risk of damage is very slight in autocross. But I now have a full years coverage for $124.....so that is a good thing.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/12/17 10:02 a.m.

The Grundy policy sounds like a good thing. I imagine that you can still run those events. They just won't take your call when you run it into a barrier.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
4/12/17 11:25 a.m.

I actually put the 1991 Isuzu Trooper on my Hagerty policy, too, to complement the 1985 Toyota MR2 and the 1987 Mercedes-Benz 300SDL.

Do you think they know how weird I am?

jere
jere HalfDork
6/1/17 2:42 p.m.

I'm bored to tears before I read articles about car insurance... But that picture hooked me, its pure perfection. Solid article sounds almost too good to be true... Ya know because insurance companies NOT screwing people over for things that are common sense is crazy talk!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/1/17 2:49 p.m.
jere wrote: I'm bored to tears before I read articles about car insurance... But that picture hooked me, its pure perfection. Solid article sounds almost too good to be true... Ya know because insurance companies NOT screwing people over for things that are common sense is crazy talk!

Glad the photo worked! And hopefully you saved 15% or more.

I admit, I racked my brain trying to think of a good lede. Wrecked car? Too easy. JG with his Mustang? Perfect.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
6/1/17 2:52 p.m.

So these are only good ideas if you have more vehicles than drivers and vehicles that are not your primary? So if my primary WAS also the vehicle I thought was special enough I would have to find a reason they would want to insure it?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
6/5/17 9:25 a.m.

Correct, you won't have much luck trying to get specialty insurance on your daily driver.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/19 10:08 p.m.

I saw this photo drop on FB earlier and my first thought was that JG looks like he's about to drop the hottest Southern Rock album of 1990 in this photo. 

engiekev
engiekev Reader
10/15/19 11:44 a.m.

My experience with collector car insurance, don't bother with Hagerty.

Hagerty is far too picky on car eligbility, has extremely high prices compared to a lot of other classic insurerers, and doesn't offer much more in terms of services.  

One example, tried to insure Mitsubishi Galant VR4 (limited production, even is a numbered chassis) and was told it was not covered.  But a Mitsubishi Eclipse / Eagle Talon is eligible, what is the logic in that?  They are really struggling to catch up to the new collector car market of 80's 90's vehicles, though I guess they are making an effort.

I'll be going with Grundy from now on, far better prices and a lot easier to deal with!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/19 5:07 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
 It's not like JG can grow a mullet overnight.

I am sorry, but that is a candidate for "Say what?" if I ever saw one

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
10/15/19 11:55 p.m.

FWIW, for our 66 mustang, a classic car agreed value, limited mileage policy through safeco was cheaper than hagerty by about two thirds, for a higher agreed value and more miles per year. 

dangdude
dangdude None
12/13/19 6:27 p.m.

Great timing!  PM please of a company that is cool with occasional "fun errand drives".  When I called around they pretty much said if I'm not going to a car show I'm not covered.  I want to be able to occasionally drive my kid to his soccer game in "the roadster" when the weather is perfect.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VpPM7oChD1hwxy3NISrM7F4k6VQJsyA9ZBZVj7FNMg0utA3VILPw5z9ra6sloou1