Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/4/22 1:03 p.m.
feature_image

What's new at Lime Rock Park? A lot, actually.

Sure, it may be one of the oldest race tracks in the United States, but Lime Rock Park is working to blend its rich history with a healthy look forward in a way that best serves its audience–one that, recently, isn't always composed of race fans.

What does this modernization mean for Lime Rock's guests? Read the …

Read the rest of the story

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
5/4/22 6:54 p.m.

I love Lime Rock. I've been going up there for decades, both to drive and spectate. One of the best things about it was that it didn't really change much. I sincerely hope the new ownership recognizes that continuity matters. Building a hotel on the property does not fill me with confidence.

And when I read this: “We want people to come up and just experience the beauty of Northwest Connecticut, have a glass of rosé, enjoy the Ferraris and go home,” I got douche chills, and not just for the lack of Oxford comma.

toconn
toconn New Reader
5/4/22 9:10 p.m.

I'm an hour away and love going to limerock as a spectator. The new FCP euro cars & coffee events have been cool and I'm glad Limerock is trying to expand their reach, but $325 to run the mini autocross course seems steep to me. If I want to autocross I can go run a local FCSCC or CART event for $60 as a non-member. $325 could buy me a seat in an HPDE event on the big track...

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/4/22 9:44 p.m.
toconn said:

I'm an hour away and love going to limerock as a spectator. The new FCP euro cars & coffee events have been cool and I'm glad Limerock is trying to expand their reach, but $325 to run the mini autocross course seems steep to me. If I want to autocross I can go run a local FCSCC or CART event for $60 as a non-member. $325 could buy me a seat in an HPDE event on the big track...

I've been there a few times as an instructor, but I agree that they're really proud of their track.. $350 is a full on track day at Thompson or Palmer with MassTuning or CART, both of which are way more fun than LRP for a track day. And they're easier on tires!

I'd imagine that LRP is a great track to race at, though I haven't had the chance myself.  I'd love to try!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
5/4/22 10:10 p.m.

Grew up in CT and my dad used to take me to Lime Rock in the 60's. It was the first road course I ran my own full size car at. Last time I was there was to watch my girlfriend learn to drive in a single seater about 12-13 years ago. Pic below from the last time I was there.

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/p/b73ec58b-b805-4000-974f-359d9725fe94][/URL]

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
5/5/22 11:21 a.m.
toconn said:

I've done events at the proving ground for under $150, Modified Motorsports does them. In fact, I'll be there this Saturday.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/5/22 11:32 a.m.

As a resident of Florida, I've still traveled all the way up to Lime Rock maybe a dozen times.  It's one of Mrs Frog's favorite tracks mainly because of the surrounding countryside.  We always add days on the backside of the journey to just take in Sharon, Lakeview, Kent, etc.  And, some of the best dining close to a racetrack.

cfvwtuner
cfvwtuner Reader
5/5/22 1:27 p.m.

Lime Rock has gone out of it's way to cater to the Foo Foo crowd of cheese and wine.  They have really priced themselves out of the market for the average track day crowd. We havent been up there to spectate because of the high ticket prices, as well. The FCP Cars and coffee is a neat way to get up there for the day. 

Times have changed a bit from when we ran with CART and EMRA where a day was $275. My wife actually decided we were getting married there.  Back in 03 after an incredibly warm track day, we got married under the tower at the end of the days lapping sessions.  

Thompson has done an amazing job of filling the hole that LPR has decided to make.  Being in Central Connecticut, the extra couple minutes it wiould take to get to Thompson is no big deal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DjOIXUGUyc75996Zv4VTsu2FzhxebRwiXvIvzfoq6Ivcf3vyCqhJsrW0hPoav60C