1 2
Dootz
Dootz New Reader
8/30/18 4:57 a.m.

Was just messing around and was thinking about a probable swap-candidate (Super Beetle, RX-7). Instead of doing the mainstream Subaru EJ/GM LS1 swap, what's another light engine that would keep the weight/balance for each of those cars down? I have no idea what aluminum pushrod 4-cylinder engines are out there, but I know of GM's OHV V6s that they were producing for a while - I think they were all iron blocks, though.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
8/30/18 5:56 a.m.

In the last couple of years, GM has started putting all aluminum 4.3L v6s in some trucks. It's basically an LS or LT v8 with 2 fewer cylinders.

But, having direct injection and variable valve timing might make it tough to swap without expensive controllers.

A Duratec/MZR 4 cylinder is all aluminum, and the long block weighs something like 200lbs. Adding a turbo could get you the performance you seek without adding too much weight.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/30/18 8:12 a.m.

The only other engine I can think of that fits 1990s and later, aluminum block, pushrod, and less than 8 cylinders would be the Subaru EA81.

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
8/30/18 9:05 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

That LV1 seems nice, wonder why it isn't getting more love

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
8/30/18 9:06 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Any reason to pick that over the EA-82? Seems like the ideal engine series

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/30/18 9:41 a.m.

Not really, but you specified pushrod and the EA-82 is a SOHC head.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
8/30/18 10:12 a.m.
STM317 said:

But, having direct injection and variable valve timing might make it tough to swap without expensive controllers.

It should use the stock computer and be tunable with HP Tuners no? That's not a hella expensive way to do it.

Because OP said pushrod, lightweight, 90s+ there is only one option I believe. Available new until 2003

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/30/18 10:17 a.m.

The Rover iterations were available thru that time range with displacements upwards of 4.5L (maybe more).

Its just the evolution of the Buick215/Rover3.5 from the 60s, but still pushrod Aluminium.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/30/18 10:53 a.m.
stafford1500 said:

The Rover iterations were available thru that time range with displacements upwards of 4.5L (maybe more).

Its just the evolution of the Buick215/Rover3.5 from the 60s, but still pushrod Aluminium.

but they are all v8s, no?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/30/18 11:30 a.m.

13B? :)

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/30/18 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

sorry, missed the NOT part...

reading is hard

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/30/18 11:34 a.m.

Saturn LLO is supposed to be pretty light.  It doesn't have pushrods which is a strange requirement anyway.

Suzuki J20A is supposed to be really light.  If you like a science project, there are aftermarket turbo kits out there for this engine.  

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
8/30/18 11:47 a.m.
buzzboy said:
STM317 said:

It should use the stock computer and be tunable with HP Tuners no? That's not a hella expensive way to do it.

Tuning DI is very possible, even if it's much more complex than typical port injection. But tuning a DI engine that's been swapped into a chassis that's pre OBD II is an entirely different matter. As far as I know, HP Tuners has some DI tuning ability, but it's nowhere near as complete as what OEMs are using. They're tuning C7s well enough, so some people seem to have it figured out (maybe using HP Tuners, or maybe some other software), but that's not a swap into another chassis. Changing fueling/ignition tables is easy when the factory has already gotten everything working together. With a swap, you have to figure out what needs to be there vs what can be eliminated. You have to break down the CAN network and figure out which modules need to be there or not.

It's probably not something that your buddy with a couple of credits is going to be able to do for you like they could on a port injected setup.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/30/18 11:50 a.m.

If weight is teh consideration, both the 60 degree V6 from GM and the 3800 are readily available and lightish.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/30/18 12:17 p.m.
codrus said:

13B? :)

Yeah, maybe you could use a pushrod for the dipstick or something....

....brap, brap brap....

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/30/18 12:30 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

If weight is teh consideration, both the 60 degree V6 from GM and the 3800 are readily available and lightish.

Do any of those engines have aluminum blocks?  I thought most if not all 3800's had iron heads as well.

Even if they're not light, at least they don't sound that good.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/30/18 12:30 p.m.
pres589 said:

Suzuki J20A is supposed to be really light.  If you like a science project, there are aftermarket turbo kits out there for this engine.  

Anyone know of a bolt-on front/south bellhousing/manual transmission for that engine series?

wvumtnbkr
8/30/18 1:29 p.m.
pres589 said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Do any of those engines have aluminum blocks?  I thought most if not all 3800's had iron heads as well.

Even if they're not light, at least they don't sound that good.

Depends on the exhaust.  Ours sounds awesome in our RX7.  None of them have aluminum blocks. 

If weight is the issue, then look at what the engines weigh, not what material they are made out of.  What is the weight goal for the entire package?

The LA1 is 340#s with all the fixings.  The T5 that goes behind it is 80 lbs.  So, 420# for engine and trans is pretty light.

wvumtnbkr
8/30/18 1:34 p.m.

Ecotechs are pretty light for their output as well.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/30/18 6:13 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No pushrods

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/30/18 6:21 p.m.

I can't think of any small aluminum block pushrod engines built in the last 30 years that are not hold overs from an ancient time.  I'm pretty sure any engineer who drew one in that time would have his iron ring melted and his diploma burned.

I could suggest that the rule stands even for LS motors, but that could be construed as trolling.

wvumtnbkr
8/30/18 7:45 p.m.
iceracer said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No pushrods

Without knowing why, I call bullE36 M3....

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
8/30/18 8:07 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I can't think of any small aluminum block pushrod engines built in the last 30 years that are not hold overs from an ancient time.  I'm pretty sure any engineer who drew one in that time would have his iron ring melted and his diploma burned

Motus V4?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/30/18 8:13 p.m.

Aluminum block.  Pushrods.  Not a V8.  90's up.  Yup:

2012 US-spec Morgan 3-wheeler.jpg

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
8/30/18 10:32 p.m.

I believe the vw wasserboxer was made into the 90's. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JFlCOw2h3Nany525bxhRdfaKAZchiXLLtAqOHzBP5geqb6d7QDVsd2oxwErSmn3e