David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/3/20 8:09 a.m.
feature_image

The Kaido Racers–Japanese for highway racers–take their cues from Group 5 machines while mixing in stretched tires, slammed stances, extreme aero add-ons and, of course, external oil coolers, complete with draped lines.

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/3/20 9:35 a.m.

This style is even made it to our shores.

Case in point, the Moonlight Runners over in California:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/3/20 9:40 a.m.

Now, can we apply that style to any American cars and not have it look like a total joke? Because I would totally do that.  Takiyari exhaust and all.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/3/20 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I second that motion.

$2000 Challenge anyone? wink

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/3/20 11:25 a.m.

2021?

PLEASE?

PLEASE? 

PLEASE?

PLEASE?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/3/20 11:27 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Now, can we apply that style to any American cars and not have it look like a total joke? Because I would totally do that.  Takiyari exhaust and all.

Now I have weird thoughts of a kaido Ford Granada

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/3/20 11:31 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I'll bet the same styling cues on that Toyota Crown would work on a Dodge Aspen / Plymouth Volare; they look pretty similar.

Fox body Mustangs look kind of Nissan-ish; they might be able to pull off that look too.

And, of course, the Japanese have already adapted that treatment to Dodge vans.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/3/20 11:43 a.m.
Appleseed said:

That's cultural appropriation! How DARE you!

#triggered

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/3/20 11:44 a.m.

That said, I've always thought the 2nd gen Cressida and the Volvo 7-series were twins.

Time for some Swedish-Japanese fusion.

_
_ Dork
3/3/20 11:49 a.m.

Zokusha. Kyusha. Shakotan. Bippu. Please learn the definition of all of these words before you proceed with the styling. And for the love of God don't take everything you read in American on the Internet as gospel! Most Americans have Japanese culture wrong!

Edit: gonna add in the word "itasha". Since you sometimes see them at the same car meets. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
3/3/20 12:43 p.m.
Appleseed said:

The best American style would probably be greenwood corvettes

and possibly imsa monza body kits

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/3/20 12:51 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I bet a quad eye fox body would work well. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/3/20 12:52 p.m.
ShawnG said:

That's cultural appropriation! 

...Or as people with a brain call it: respectful imitation!

(Of course I know your comment was meant tongue-in-cheek)

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/20 12:55 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Appleseed said:

I bet a quad eye fox body would work well. 

Mustang II.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
3/3/20 12:55 p.m.

Renders done by sad.machines on Instagram of a kaido racer Fox body.  Kind of love it!

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/3/20 1:02 p.m.

Not Racers.

I think the term Wankers better applies.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/3/20 1:12 p.m.
_ said:

Most Americans have Japanese culture wrong! 

Pot, kettle.

Please note, this is also tongue-in-cheek.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/3/20 1:19 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I'd go straight to  Cresseda,  but have you priced them lately?  Completely out of line for what they are. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/3/20 1:26 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to ShawnG :

I'd go straight to  Cresseda,  but have you priced them lately?  Completely out of line for what they are. 

I'd heard that now the Cressida market had tanked, now that the JZX90 can be imported. My friend had a gorgeous, rust-free Cressida with a rod knock and he was asking $500 and nobody was even interested. And he lives in an area with a pretty huge Japanese car culture. People he talked to basically said "Why should I buy a Cressida and spend all the time swapping over the good parts from a JZX90 cut, when I can just import a complete JZX90?" If he hadn't been so damn far away, or if the car had been driveable, I would've bought it from him.

_
_ Dork
3/3/20 11:24 p.m.
ShawnG said:
_ said:

Most Americans have Japanese culture wrong! 

Pot, kettle.

Please note, this is also tongue-in-cheek.

Lmfao!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/4/20 6:51 a.m.

Someone needs to do a Kaido-Dekotora-Dajiban mashup with a Grand Caravan.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2pdoM1adoXSYlm25dLsYZIDeh1bFKPu46hoSYbodg7vOswbCFLc0tD0gxFFeKV4v