jharbert
jharbert GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/18/09 11:12 a.m.

My GF's beater 96 Sentra needs new struts, wheels & tires, and exhaust system. Guess who gets to do all the work? :)

I got some KYB GR-2s from The Tire Rack, along with new Sport Edition D5s wheels and 185/60-14 Kumho Solus KR21 tires. These'll replace the factory steelies and generic tires put on by the PO, two of which have gone flat in the last three months. We're keeping the stock springs, though I'm half tempted to cut them a quarter coil or so.

She's out of town atm. The last time she was out of town I had to replace her alternator. This is becoming a trend. Heh.

This will be my first time replacing struts. Wish me luck.

corsepervita
corsepervita New Reader
7/18/09 11:30 a.m.
jharbert wrote: My GF's beater 96 Sentra needs new struts, wheels & tires, and exhaust system. Guess who gets to do all the work? :) I got some KYB GR-2s from The Tire Rack, along with new Sport Edition D5s wheels and 185/60-14 Kumho Solus KR21 tires. These'll replace the factory steelies and generic tires put on by the PO, two of which have gone flat in the last three months. We're keeping the stock springs, though I'm half tempted to cut them a quarter coil or so. She's out of town atm. The last time she was out of town I had to replace her alternator. This is becoming a trend. Heh. This will be my first time replacing struts. Wish me luck.

Struts aren't too bad, especially if you've got a little hand turn spring compressor, pretty inexpensive at a local napa.

You're gonna love the GR2 struts. Night and day from stock. Still not anything crazy, but it's very noticeable and they'll last forever. Put them on my 99' ZX2, they've seen hard driving, autocross, daily driving, and the car has even been launched over a median by accident (back in my hoodlum years, don't ask) and the car was unscathed, guess what struts had no damage when inspected? Great struts.

jharbert
7/18/09 12:30 p.m.

I can't break the strut-to-knuckle bolts loose. I think it's time for a run to Northern Tool for a BF breaker bar.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/18/09 12:32 p.m.

I stopped doing mufflers and exhaust. Those shops do it for next to nothing and I don't get an eyeful of rust.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
7/18/09 1:30 p.m.

Dont cut the springs, they have no suspension travel as it is.

jharbert
7/18/09 3:27 p.m.

One down, three to go. Much easier than I was expecting. The BFBB made it a piece of cake.

Raze
Raze Reader
7/18/09 5:07 p.m.

just make sure your GF 'pays up' when she gets back, I'd be tempted to hold the keys as 'incentive'...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OtughmOIquxPkpwaJzdEFObkyYhGpugPyixfgdPirDgRdqmt3fhJscQmb2yXF56M