Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
3/29/19 9:57 a.m.

Looking on Autotrader...

...then looking in my wallet.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/29/19 10:04 a.m.

In the motorcycle world, leaving your bike while still traveling at speed kinda sucks.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
3/29/19 10:05 a.m.

That moment in the driver's seat when you realize that physics has taken complete control. Time stops and there will be pain when time starts moving again.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/19 10:07 a.m.

Losing your transmission 8 hours from home on a Saturday morning, lying to uhaul about what you’re towing with their dolly, and spending $500 to get home a truck that you ended up scrapping for $300

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
3/29/19 10:14 a.m.

When you're cruising along at 75 on the interstate and you lose all engine and electrical power instantaneously.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
3/29/19 10:27 a.m.

I've experienced quite a few of the things mentioned so far. Stolen vehicles tops my list. Has happened to me a couple times. Favorite car I've ever owned, a '68 Camaro was stolen in broad daylight by couple guys with box truck, ramps/winch according to witnesses who didn't know it was being stolen.  Worst one financially was while moving from CT to FL.  Stopped in Atlanta to take a young lady out to dinner.  Left my  '84 454 Suburban with 24' enclosed trailer with 66 Mustang inside the trailer in a Publix supermarket parking lot.  Took her car downtown. Tow rig & trailer was packed with everything I owned that was "valuable" to me. TV's, stereos, welders, tools, etc. etc. etc. When we got back from an early dinner (was still light out) the whole rig was gone. No comprehensive ins because the tow vehicle was old, so no insurance coverage on anything.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
3/29/19 10:40 a.m.

300, !!! over crest into K right exposure out.

Routebooks are better. Less suspense. 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
3/29/19 10:48 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

That hurt just reading sad

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/19 10:52 a.m.

I drove a '64 Chevy C-10 for a while when I was in high school. My father bought it for $750, and the body was made from Bondo and old license plates. The steering box was worn out and rear axle was located by two long, rusty trailing arms. One day, one of those trailing arms broke in half, right around the time that I was driving too fast near a huge old oak tree. That old truck suddenly, and unexpectedly, had four wheel steering. And no seatbelts. Never before, or since, have my arms worked so furiously at a giant steering wheel.

That was not a good feeling.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
3/29/19 12:20 p.m.

Fire.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/29/19 12:34 p.m.

Pretty much any unplanned, rapid transition from driver to passenger.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/29/19 12:57 p.m.

I've experienced a few of these myself. One that I have to add was a Civic that kept having random hoses in the cooling system pop - I got to the point that the smell of ethylene glycol could send me into a panic. I remember one time I was headed home after a week when I had been battling cooling issues on the Civic, only to smell that bread-baking smell again, and prepared for the worst before I remembered that (1) I was riding my Suzuki GS500, and (2) the Suzuki is air cooled.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/29/19 1:23 p.m.

finally getting a flawless coat of paint laid down and then dragging the air hose across it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/29/19 1:58 p.m.
mtn said:

Anybody play hockey? One of the worst for me is when you're skating on freshly zambonied (i.e. wet) ice and the puck gets stuck in a puddle. So incredibly frustrating. 

I hate that! I make a note of where it happens from the bench when coaching my sons team, and tell everyone where the ice is sticky. I usually clears up pretty quick, but it is annoying when it happens.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
3/29/19 2:32 p.m.

Drove my 68 Mustang 28 miles to the paint shop after a year and a half of mechanical and body work...3 miles from the paint shop and a big truck does a left turn from the right lane.

Bruce

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/29/19 2:53 p.m.

WOT in your B5 S4 twin turbo Audi....  now you need to stop smash brakes and not much happens because the brake booster valve popped off under boost.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/29/19 3:01 p.m.

Giving a bolt one last turn with your wrench, and hearing that TING noise when it snaps off.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/29/19 3:29 p.m.

Driving back Upstate in the vehicle you need to do the job you're paying for school, rent and everything else with on a warm, summer day on the Taconic Parkway. You're on the way back from seeing your girlfriend on Long Island, putting a tire onto the soft shoulder, yanking the steering wheel too hard and suddenly finding yourself sideways towards a hill and then going upside down... right side up... upside down... right side up... upside down... right side up.

Then getting a ticket for having a wreck.

If that event happened to me now, I'd like to think I'd have been able to avoid it by keeping my composure and gently steering out of it, but inexperience had me do everything wrong.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/29/19 3:46 p.m.

Drifting a corner in a Corvair on a road behind the airport, smash the throttle for a nice exit.

And then realize they have the gates open to bring a plane across (no signs just a flagger at the gate in the middle of the road).

Drop the throttle in a slide in a Corvair and guess what happens? Some poo will escape!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/19 3:55 p.m.

Ohh then there is that weird slow motion silence thing that happens when you are looking out the windshield and the sky is down and grass/armco/concrete wall are up.    

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/29/19 3:59 p.m.

Being passed by your own wheel/tire.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/29/19 4:10 p.m.
Jay_W said:

300, !!! over crest into K right exposure out.

Routebooks are better. Less suspense. 

Bah humbug. Pace notes ruined rallying even more than AWD. Drive the road in front of you! I just watched the 2019 West Cork on you tube and watching the AWD cars going nose off in a very flat long left hander was pathetic. indecision

Don49
Don49 Dork
3/29/19 4:29 p.m.

2016 6 weeks before the Runoffs coming on to the front straight at NJMP @ 115 mph and hit the oil from a competitors  blown motor and into the guardrail very violently.

einy
einy HalfDork
3/29/19 5:11 p.m.

Putting your best friend’s brand new original release Taurus SHO up on a retaining wall after failing to negotiate a nearly 180 degree curve in the wet so violently that the roof panel bends ... but it wasn’t QUITE totaled, so it drives like crap from that point forward even after major reconstructive surgery that takes two months to complete.  

Yes, that incident does still come up on occasion, but he is still my best friend!

neverdone
neverdone New Reader
3/29/19 5:40 p.m.

When you and your family are 250 miles from home  at night in the rain and your GM 6.5 diesel starts the dreaded “injection pump just might die again” dance.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kV2bChH1BahdGFcYBgf32vSZYR4cgU8LBM13CVHj5wozQdHCUwW5P2vAFEiGaN5a