hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
4/27/21 4:01 p.m.

Hi all, 

Ended up catching the inside of a kerb (at low speeds) at a recent event and I have a little bit of damage on the tires. On first thought, I was able to drive home with them like this, so it's not an issue. However I'm worried that this might be something that would turn me away from an autox event and I should invest in new tires immediately. It says right there on the tire to "inspect for damage" so here I am lol.

It's only on this tire, so it'd be a shame to have to buy 4 new tires (AWD car so tread depth should be very similar all around) for this small issue. 

Tires are dated 32nd week of 2019, so they're relatively new as well. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/21 4:12 p.m.

I would drive them as long as there wasn't a obvious thump or shimmy. 

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
4/27/21 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

Thanks, the steering wheel was vibrating quite a bit at low and high speeds on the way home that I (hopefully) correctly attributed to knocking the tire out of balance. After rebalancing them the vibration went away at all speeds.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/27/21 4:25 p.m.

I'd run it, but i do stupid stuff sometimes 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/27/21 4:27 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

I would drive them as long as there wasn't a obvious thump or shimmy. 

+1

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
4/27/21 4:31 p.m.

Yay! Thanks guys. Glad it's just my paranoia taking over again. I like having working vehicles. I do know that running 33 PSI square on this tire is not great, sidewalls roll a lot. I'll probably do 38PSI next time. 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
4/27/21 4:36 p.m.

Lots of smiles left on that tire!

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
4/27/21 4:40 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

I sure hope so, there's only 15k miles on them! I'm signed up for the Lone Pine Time Trials on the 22nd of May, so I want to make sure everything's ready for that before I head out.  

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/27/21 4:52 p.m.

One thing to note: 

If   you have to replace one tire of an AWD vehicle, Subie STi for example, you can always buy the new tire and shave the tread depth to match the other tires.    I am pretty sure Tire Rack offers this service.

A least you won't be buying a full set because of one damaged tire..

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
4/27/21 5:58 p.m.
hunter47 said:

I'm signed up for the Lone Pine Time Trials on the 22nd of May, so I want to make sure everything's ready for that before I head out.  

I did Lone Pine for many years, it can be a tire grinder. Have at least another (or 2) good tires/wheels with you.

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
4/27/21 7:00 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Good! These are the OEM tires on the Subaru WRX and they're not amazing. I do plan on taking it easy though, surface looks crazy. 

Not an issue at all.  Send it. 

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
5/1/21 11:05 a.m.

how about now? Hahaha when I was diagnosing a brake squeal I decided to inspect the tires as well. Guess I'll be getting new tires. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
5/1/21 11:40 a.m.

IF that is close to the other pic you posted I would be thinking ply separation. 

What pressures are you usually running vs the recommended on the door sticker?

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
5/1/21 11:48 a.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Different tire, actually. I'm surprised the Discount Tire techs didn't catch this when I asked for a rebalance. Called them and will be coming in to give them a piece of my berkeleying mind. 

I ran 35 square, pressures are 33 front/32 rear. 

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/1/21 9:04 p.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

Just looks like the tread to me. I am not a tire expert, but would not be concerned with either photo you showed. I don't typically get excited by anything on the tread that holds air, and am more cautious with sidewall gouges. Disclaimer: I don't recommend you drive anything

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
5/2/21 12:26 a.m.

In reply to thashane :

Yeah, but I know that I could suffer some poor consequences if I continued to drive on it. Got some General AS-05 and Falken RT660s coming in next week. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gp4N1v6qTmFgcOR0NS1ovZi0ZLjX9TRbzuOtzt7M33y8pAIuQS07fYDhLqk34StG