1 2 3
alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/26/10 11:11 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Way off topic, but on point with the corn subsidies and ADM..... High Fructose Corn Syrup in food stuffs. Nasty, nasty, nasty. I specifically look at every label to avoid that crap and will even pay more for that product. I already have enough girth for myself and someone else, I don't need more of it from eating something that a body can not process properly. Now, I just need some E85 pumps here for that cheap "race" gas....... Brian

You do realize that the real problem is that your body DOES process it incredibly well. As in takes all of the sugar from the corn syrup and turns it directly into glucose. And since you probably have an abundance of energy, that extra glucose gets stored in fat cells.

If it didn't process it right, it would make a great fake sweetner.

Just sayn.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
10/26/10 11:16 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: Way off topic, but on point with the corn subsidies and ADM..... High Fructose Corn Syrup in food stuffs. Nasty, nasty, nasty. I specifically look at every label to avoid that crap and will even pay more for that product. I already have enough girth for myself and someone else, I don't need more of it from eating something that a body can not process properly. Now, I just need some E85 pumps here for that cheap "race" gas....... Brian
You do realize that the real problem is that your body DOES process it incredibly well. As in takes all of the sugar from the corn syrup and turns it directly into glucose. And since you probably have an abundance of energy, that extra glucose gets stored in fat cells. If it didn't process it right, it would make a great fake sweetner. Just sayn.

Sometimes I think that you just enjoy arguing.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
10/26/10 11:18 a.m.
2002maniac wrote: Can you cite a credible source? I have seen no scientific evidence suggesting that hfcs is handled any differently by our bodies than cane or beet sugar.

Cane/beet sugar is sucrose while HFCS is fructose, so there is is a slight difference in how these are metabolized by your body. Whether the difference is significant is still being studied.

Much more significant though is how corn subsidies have made corn syrup extremely inexpensive - which in turn has led to its inclusion as a taste enhancer to practically every processed food on the market. Breakfast cereal, bread, crackers, potato chips, cheeses, yogurt, juice, soda - it's everywhere, so we're all consuming a lot of sugar without even noticing, and it's debatable whether we should be eating any at all.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/26/10 11:34 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
You do realize that the real problem is that your body DOES process it incredibly well. As in takes all of the sugar from the corn syrup and turns it directly into glucose. And since you probably have an abundance of energy, that extra glucose gets stored in fat cells. If it didn't process it right, it would make a great fake sweetner. Just sayn.
Sometimes I think that you just enjoy arguing.

Duh- I are an enginerd.

It's like wrestling a pig- eventually, you figure out that the pig really enjoys the fun.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
10/26/10 1:21 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: You do realize that the real problem is that your body DOES process it incredibly well. As in takes all of the sugar from the corn syrup and turns it directly into glucose. And since you probably have an abundance of energy, that extra glucose gets stored in fat cells. If it didn't process it right, it would make a great fake sweetner. Just sayn.

You do realize that just because that fructose gets synthesized to glucose and your body stores that glucose as fat in a fat cell, that your body can not, nor does it really want to, synthesize that fat back to glucose? It will first turn to the available readily made glucose, short term, then turn muscle protein into glucose, typically used from nutrition deficiencies and some short to medium-long energy needs, before it will even turn to fat as an energy source, long term energy. So really, the body does not process fructose very well in overall energy processes. Your answer comes off as the typical engineers' answer," Works great short term, berkeley the long term.", JMO.

The end doesn't justify the means with HFCS, again JMO.

Brian

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/26/10 1:23 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: It's like wrestling a pig- eventually, you figure out that the pig really enjoys the fun.

I wrestle for bacon.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/26/10 5:47 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
alfadriver wrote: You do realize that the real problem is that your body DOES process it incredibly well. As in takes all of the sugar from the corn syrup and turns it directly into glucose. And since you probably have an abundance of energy, that extra glucose gets stored in fat cells. If it didn't process it right, it would make a great fake sweetner. Just sayn.
You do realize that just because that fructose gets synthesized to glucose and your body stores that glucose as fat in a fat cell, that your body can not, nor does it really want to, synthesize that fat back to glucose? It will first turn to the available readily made glucose, short term, then turn muscle protein into glucose, typically used from nutrition deficiencies and some short to medium-long energy needs, before it will even turn to fat as an energy source, long term energy. So really, the body does not process fructose very well in overall energy processes. Your answer comes off as the typical engineers' answer," Works great short term, berkeley the long term.", JMO. The end doesn't justify the means with HFCS, again JMO. Brian

When did I say it works well in the short term? All I said that your body converts it quickly to glucose, and since we tend to eat more than we need, that gets turned to fat. Doesn't sound good to me....

Hollow, excess calories.

But if you want to read my opinion as a "good thing", well, to each his own.

Eric

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
10/26/10 5:58 p.m.

I'm just pissed we're putting something that could feed hungry people in our gas tanks.

Oh, and refining ethanol usually uses more energy than the savings it creates by blending it with gasoline.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/26/10 6:01 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
You do realize that just because that fructose gets synthesized to glucose and your body stores that glucose as fat in a fat cell, that your body can not, nor does it really want to, synthesize that fat back to glucose? It will first turn to the available readily made glucose, short term, then turn muscle protein into glucose, typically used from nutrition deficiencies and some short to medium-long energy needs, before it will even turn to fat as an energy source, long term energy. So really, the body does not process fructose very well in overall energy processes. Your answer comes off as the typical engineers' answer," Works great short term, berkeley the long term.", JMO. The end doesn't justify the means with HFCS, again JMO. Brian

Brian, why is an overabundance of HFCS going to cause your body to use protein as an energy source any more than an overabundance of "regular" sugar?

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
10/26/10 11:29 p.m.
nderwater wrote:
2002maniac wrote: Can you cite a credible source? I have seen no scientific evidence suggesting that hfcs is handled any differently by our bodies than cane or beet sugar.
Cane/beet sugar is sucrose while HFCS is fructose, so there is is a slight difference in how these are metabolized by your body. Whether the difference is significant is still being studied. Much more significant though is how corn subsidies have made corn syrup extremely inexpensive - which in turn has led to its inclusion as a taste enhancer to practically every processed food on the market. Breakfast cereal, bread, crackers, potato chips, cheeses, yogurt, juice, soda - it's everywhere, so we're all consuming a *lot* of sugar without even noticing, and it's debatable whether we should be eating any at all.

They don't just make corn syrup. Corn is made into hundreds of processed ingredients common in food. It you can't identify it, it's probably a corn derivative.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/27/10 6:10 a.m.

Really.. I got a food intolerance/minor allergy to corn and corn syrup. My body doesn't process that crap effectively and boy is it hard to find food I can eat without feeling horrible.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fGBRz0ioxQ0PkaJyrnkU0pSaylpIW6ueHNhZEObM1sVN6xwH5Qdxgci4AW0xXxrX