Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/3/17 5:01 p.m.

I need to send my 2005 LQ4 ECU away to have the security removed, but holy crap, are the googletubes full of junk. Everybody already knows about the resistor in place of the keys from the 90's...shut up.

So, hopefully in Canada, a reputable programmer who can flash my box is...?

Yeah, I know what I said. Heh heh heh heh heh.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/3/17 5:45 p.m.

I have a friend in Langley BC who can flash GM computers. He and I go back 30 years, but I don't know his work, I've never had him do anything for me yet. Yet. I can ask about this.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/17 6:57 p.m.

Find someone local with HPTuners, give him $100 USD and a case of whatever beer he likes.

If you have HPTuners, it takes, literally, about three minutes. Two minutes to download the tune and register the computer, five seconds to uncheck the "VATS Enable" box, 60 seconds to rewrite to the PCM.

Or you can buy HPTuners for $649USD and do it yourself, and have $300 worth of credits left over. You may be able to recoup this money by disabling other peoples' VATS, along with snagging some good beer. The software is free to download, you can poke around and play with different computers' tunes to see what is possible to do.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/17 7:13 p.m.

Knurled has it. It's so simple it's ridiculous.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
3/3/17 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:
Would the ECM from a 1997 V6 Camaro have to have this done to run in another car?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/3/17 7:57 p.m.

Yes. You may be able to with a VATS override kit from one of the Corvette catalogs, but not sure. Better off getting the computer re-programmed.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/3/17 8:11 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Find someone local with HPTuners, give him $100 USD and a case of whatever beer he likes. If you have HPTuners, it takes, literally, about three minutes. Two minutes to download the tune and register the computer, five seconds to uncheck the "VATS Enable" box, 60 seconds to rewrite to the PCM. Or you can buy HPTuners for $649USD and do it yourself, and have $300 worth of credits left over. You may be able to recoup this money by disabling other peoples' VATS, along with snagging some good beer. The software is free to download, you can poke around and play with different computers' tunes to see what is possible to do.

This is fascinating information.

Me like tools.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/3/17 10:57 p.m.

Sent you a message with buddy's email. Check your inbox. :)

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/17 6:02 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
Knurled wrote: Find someone local with HPTuners, give him $100 USD and a case of whatever beer he likes. If you have HPTuners, it takes, literally, about three minutes. Two minutes to download the tune and register the computer, five seconds to uncheck the "VATS Enable" box, 60 seconds to rewrite to the PCM. Or you can buy HPTuners for $649USD and do it yourself, and have $300 worth of credits left over. You may be able to recoup this money by disabling other peoples' VATS, along with snagging some good beer. The software is free to download, you can poke around and play with different computers' tunes to see what is possible to do.
This is fascinating information. Me like tools.

The fascinating information is what is inside the tunes. Even the relatively simple computer for your LQ4 will have some bizarre-sounding tables like engine required torque versus calculated oil temp. I spent an hour just poking around to get a feel for how they do things, in the first tune I pulled from a computer (oddly enough an LQ9).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
irUHyiVMCoczI4gGsSM8LPHA1nHqWSGkypgmpX2Ptc4iz3qGieN1rCTVv9jPslyH