1 ... 3 4 5 6
amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
3/9/14 11:43 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote: I drove them back in the day. They sucked then. They are worse now. Just my opinion. Get an FC.
Wow. You're either functionally retarded, or blind. Not sure which.

Well that's berkeleying rude. He was talking about F-bodies and FCs in his other thread a couple of days ago. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/wheres-my-self-respect/80424/page1/

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/10/14 8:05 a.m.
amg_rx7 wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote: I drove them back in the day. They sucked then. They are worse now. Just my opinion. Get an FC.
Well that's berkeleying rude. He was talking about F-bodies and FCs in his other thread a couple of days ago. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/wheres-my-self-respect/80424/page1/

maybe a little rude, at best you just didn't bother reading anything he was asking about in this thread and assumed a continuation of the old one. or you're illiterate :)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/10/14 8:41 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
maybe a little rude, at best you just didn't bother reading anything he was asking about in this thread and assumed a continuation of the old one. or you're illiterate :)

This. If you can't be bothered to read a post before making a rude comment, expect rudeness in return.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/10/14 11:12 a.m.

Interesting. Around me these had all returned to the earth over 10 years ago.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/10/14 11:15 a.m.

Gay slur!

They make pretty convincing roundy round cars, too.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/10/14 12:21 p.m.

Meh, I didn't think there was anything wrong with exploring my options.

So, my question is: Is the lack of support for the Gen 2 SBC really a problem?

If I can buy an LT1 for like $4-500 with all the wiring and computer stuff, slap a carb on it for ~$300, that doesn't seem like a bad deal for 260 hp and 330 ft lbs. Or 300 hp if I wanted to collect OEM corvette stuff. But even at 260 hp, it seems like a good working/hauling engine.

So how much does it cost to get a Gen 1 to make those numbers? And is the Gen 2 more reliable because of it's reverse cooling situation?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/10/14 12:57 p.m.

Let's put it this way, a TBI 5.7 can make 250hp/310tq at the REAR WHEELS for not much money. A set of used Vortec heads, a $150 cam, an edelbrock Vortec intake and TBI adapter for $300 and you're making more power than the cast iron headed LT1.

Not to mention, that if you really want power, there are cheap options from the GenIII/IV truck engines.

old_
old_ Reader
3/10/14 2:46 p.m.

I'll just leave this here

http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/cto/4349831318.html

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/10/14 3:10 p.m.

Back in the 80's these were basically free. I had two Impala "aero" coupes. One was a 77, the other a 78. I bought the first one for $350, and the second for $100. They both had the 305 with a two barrel carb. ( weak hp, but plenty enough torque to do one-wheel peels) Most Caprices had the 350, while the more pedestrian Impalas made due with the 305. I'm pretty sure the wagons could be ordered with the 350 though.

They were super comfy (bench seat FTW) , as reliable as the sun, and exceptionally good at ramming mailboxes, street-signs, garbage cans and other assorted things ----not that I ever did that of course......

They can be made to handle reasonably well, and even landed on Car and Driver's 10 best list when they were introduced in 77. Comfy cruising is their forte though.

I did a massive burnout in my second Impala ( finished in an exquisite primer orange) that my friend made a poster of. This "artwork" hangs in my GRM office. Yeah....the folks weren't too pleased when they realized the burnout took place on their driveway. Created a big hole in the pavement that I was ordered to repair!

Good cars with cheap but comfortable GM 80's interiors. I think they've aged well, better IMHO than the "whale" Impalas that followed, but YMMV.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/10/14 3:17 p.m.
old_ wrote: I'll just leave this here http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/cto/4349831318.html

So. Much. Want. berkeley. Wife's going to kill me.

old_
old_ Reader
3/10/14 3:35 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
old_ wrote: I'll just leave this here http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/cto/4349831318.html
So. Much. Want. berkeley. Wife's going to kill me.

More pics here

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=276481

Looks like he's been trying to sell it for the last 2 years

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/10/14 3:41 p.m.

In reply to old_:

That's not helping me you know.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/10/14 7:14 p.m.

Kind of unrelated question: Do I need a title/reg for a car dolly in NC?

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
3/11/14 1:08 p.m.

In reply to RoughandReady: Take this w/ a grain of salt but I had an opportunity to grab a free trailer a few years ago and was told that I needed to title and reg it w/ NCDMV. I never actually picked it though, so I cant verify it one way or the other.

YMMV....

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/11/14 3:57 p.m.

I know I need title and reg for a trailer. I thought the rules might be different for a dolly? haha

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
3/11/14 10:15 p.m.

Take it for what it's worth but I bought a dolly in NC a few years back, there was no mention of a title, and I have towed with it multiple times with no title, registration or a license plate. My understanding is the car being towed is plated so the dolly doesn't have to be... Eh so far so good since most of my cars I tow are plated.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/12/14 7:47 a.m.
LopRacer wrote: Take it for what it's worth but I bought a dolly in NC a few years back, there was no mention of a title, and I have towed with it multiple times with no title, registration or a license plate. My understanding is the car being towed is plated so the dolly doesn't have to be... Eh so far so good since most of my cars I tow are plated.

Varies state to state. But ask yourself this, if you are on you way to pick up a car then what? You don't have a car with a plate on the dolly to cover it. I got stopped once with a car on my dolly for other reasons and the officer asked me why there was no plate on the dolly. I did the whole "car has one" thing (which was just left on there by the seller so thankfully he didn't look into that) and he didn't know what the rules were either. We had a good laugh about it and he said in his experience (in NJ) they'd never stop you for plates on a dolly but it might come up if you were stopped for something else.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely New Reader
3/12/14 5:37 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: Kind of unrelated question: Do I need a title/reg for a car dolly in NC?

Google, Duckduckgo, etc is your friend. Your answer is 1/2 way down.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/12/14 8:54 p.m.

Ignore big body chevy

buy 1960 ford anglia for $950

swap in subaru drive train

Take to $2014 challenge

???????

Profit

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/4367295351.html

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
3/12/14 9:35 p.m.

Tin foil hat fitted, please move to ignore thread.^^^ Recite mantra Impala..lalala...

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
3/14/14 1:22 p.m.

In reply to RoughandReady: I would personally buy the LT1 over the SBC because it's fuel injection system can make more power than the earlier TBI or TPI systems. For a daily driver, it's more economical to have fuel injection. The biggest downside to the second gen LT1 is the Optispark distributor. From what I hear, it's not the greatest system, and the placement behind the water pump makes some left to be desired. But, there is a system that you can replace the optispark for a LS1 style coil ignition system.

The reverse flow cooling system is an advantage because you can run a higher compression ratio on pump gas for more power compared to a SBC.

If you want to go with carb, the SBC is the better option.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/14/14 1:49 p.m.

That's all good and dandy, but the LT1 never came in the box-style (77-90) Caprice.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/14/14 1:58 p.m.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4363616508.html

God I wish I lived someplace with no rust...

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
3/14/14 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

That's what shipping companies are for.

But why is that Phoenix one listed as a '79 but has the late '80's nose and tail?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/14/14 2:33 p.m.

because it's an 89, not a 79. There's nice black 77 coupe for $1600.

What's nice for me, I have inlaws in Tucson. I've been threatening the wife for years to drop her off at her parents and head to all the wrecking yards for the day.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oqUUrxkIQNbUYV3LZgsuDgbIoVS4V9IKLyFuVsh6T7fjPknY63BHfSB1c3hCR0tp