1 2
kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/26/22 9:14 p.m.

Long story short, after designing and building Midlana, my interests have changed. The car runs as good as ever, but I find myself making excuses not to drive it, and want the garage space for other hobbies. Yes, I'm going to be selling Midlana. See the above link for technical details.

The plan is to sell Midlana, and my wife's car, add in a bit more, and get something fun and sporty that we can both drive (automatic transmission). We're both getting older and both of us have lost interest in open-top cars with no heat, A/C, windows, etc. That, and having a stick in stop and go traffic around here was death by 1000 cuts as far as enjoyment goes. It's time to pass it on to someone who'll use it as I had: track days, hill climbs, Cars and Coffee, cruising, etc. It's 100% street legal in California, having used the SB100 specialty car loophole.

Anyway, we currently have the following list of possible replacements, in no particular order:

• ~2018-2020 BMW M2 Competition
  • ~2018-2020 Audi TT RS
  • ~2018-2020 Audi RS3
  • Some version of a Jaguar F-type (maybe R)

Limitations:

• Overall length shorter than 180 inches, and narrower than 73", to free up space around it in the garage.
  • Not more than around $70K
  • Two doors preferred, it's just the two of us
  • Suitable for car trips for two people and some baggage
  • No track days are planned, though I admit that if a review shows it doing well on-track, that's a plus
  • No interest in domestics, I've been down that road already
  • No convertibles

Briefly on the list was the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, which I really wanted to like. Alas, between comments about poor reliability, terrible supply chain issues, poor dealerships, and the rumor that Alfa may again pull out of the US, it sadly dropped off the list. I don't know much about Porsches. I briefly looked into the new Honda Civic Type R, but see what looks like a 12-yr old designed it, never mind the irony that in order to afford it ($45K+), you've probably evolved past that 12-yr old designer mentality (or maybe I'm just old and everyone just does payments these days).

So, any others we should consider? We've never owned anything European, and it would be nice to have something of a "driver's car", something that I look forward to driving. Something special. This is probably our last big "haarah" for a gas car, and we want it memorable, before selling our souls to the EV gods.

Folgers
Folgers New Reader
3/26/22 9:51 p.m.

When you have used Viper money, you buy a used Viper. 

I know you clearly stated no domestics, and no manuals, but it had to be said. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/26/22 10:04 p.m.

A $70K budget will open up a lot of possibilities. The ones you have listed are very good choices.  How about a Porsche Cayman or the new Nissan 400Z? Although I am not sure if either one comes with an automatic. Maybe a Supra or it's BMW version would work?

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the Jag F Type...the combo of looks plus sounds is tough to beat, IMO.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/26/22 10:08 p.m.

This sounds like a job for the nicest 70k PDK equiped 911 you can find.  

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/26/22 10:28 p.m.

I meant to add - though everyone here already knows - how crazy used car prices are. Strangely, Audi lists brand new 2022 TT RSs on their website, complete with pricing and options. Go to any dealer's website, though, and TT RS aren't even listed, like they don't exist. Also, Audi's site lists a brand new zero mile TT RS for $74K. Meanwhile, used ones a couple years old with 7-20K miles on them are, yup, the very same price.

I'll look into Porsches. Oh, fun fact, years I got to have a long conversation with Peter Egan (RT writer extraordinaire). He mentioned that he and his wife drove half way across the US in a Porsche Boxster S, and lavished only complements on it. Given that it was him saying it, I never forgot the comments.

I've never had anything to do with Porsches before so have some reading to do. Of primary concern is reliability and cargo/grocery space.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/26/22 10:35 p.m.

I hear and read good things about the new VW Golf R, though I don't think I'd feel much excitement walking up to it. Such a subjective thing, these silly cars.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/27/22 11:48 p.m.

Definitely the Jag or P car. Or maybe some flavor of AMG. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/22 12:05 a.m.

PDK Cayman S

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
3/28/22 12:13 a.m.

C class coupe!

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/28/22 6:49 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

You need to drive a Porsche 997.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
3/28/22 7:03 a.m.

This: PDK Cayman S

or this: This sounds like a job for the nicest 70k PDK equiped 911 you can find.  

or this: You need to drive a Porsche 997.

A little over budget...but I suspect something like this would put a smile on your face every drive (NMNA)

2014 Porsche 911S - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Or this which is in budget: 2015 Cayman S - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums  (NMNA)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/28/22 9:29 a.m.

I lean toward either of the Audi's just for that sweet 5-cylinder sound. 

I'd already have a TT RS if I could afford it. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/22 9:42 a.m.
nocones said:

This sounds like a job for the nicest 70k PDK equiped 911 you can find.  

Granted it was a GT2, but the PDK in the one I autocrossed would absolutely be my choice if I was in the market for a 911. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/28/22 9:43 a.m.

You selling the Midlana is kind of blowing my mind. I guess you did sell the Kimini so there's precedent, but still...

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/28/22 11:29 a.m.

I've owned lots of M cars, a few P cars and now have this. Happy to share thoughts if you want to chat.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/28/22 11:40 a.m.

F type R is the only answer

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/22 11:45 a.m.

Cayman or 911 with PDK is absolutely the answer here.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/22 12:42 p.m.

I vote for the Toyobimmer Supra - Fits into your length limit and just squeezes into your width limit, not as plain-looking as the Audi and BMW options, would have among the lowest running costs of all your options, works well on track, no H-pattern option from the factory so you can't feel bad about not having one cheeky

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/28/22 1:01 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Those Jags are so sexy. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/28/22 2:57 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to dyintorace :

Those Jags are so sexy. 

It's a truly bonkers car. Ours is the RWD model. With 550hp on tap, it is by far the fastest car I've ever owned. And, once in dynamic mode, the noise it makes is absolutely hilarious. Lastly, it's the only car I've owned where random people comment non-stop about how pretty it is. In full disclosure, it's my wife's car. She routinely comes home and talks about "a woman in the grocery store parking lot" or "a guy pumping gas at the next pump" told her how beautiful her car is!

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/28/22 11:25 p.m.

What a bunch of enablers... thank you, one and all. Even Sir Editor commented!

Today we went around and looked over what we could find locally. Saw a Jag F-Type "300" and I assume it resembles the F-Type R. At the local CarMax, saw the Audi TT RS, RS3, and a 2012 Porsche Carrera S*. I'm pretty surprised that a 10-yr old Porsche is still $70K and not a turbo, but like I said, I don't know Porsches very well. I shall endeavor to improve in that department.

Oh, also at CarMax was a 2021 Toyota Supra, albeit with the weenie 2.0 engine. It was the first time I got to see one up close in person. I kind of liked it, but didn't care for the pointy nose. Seems like there'll be a fair number of crunched-in noses, given that it's not obvious where the front of the car is from the driver's seat.

* Had to look it up, hah, so a 2012 Porsche Carrera S is indeed a "997", as recommended by our Editor.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/22 11:51 p.m.

The S is a nice upgrade over a standard 997 too.  

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/29/22 12:41 a.m.
dculberson said:

You selling the Midlana is kind of blowing my mind. I guess you did sell the Kimini so there's precedent, but still...

Yeah, I know... I lay out all the reasons on my site, but it's a combination of me being more of a designer/builder than a user of things already finished. I'm well aware that this defines someone who is never be happy once something is truly finished, but oh well :). That, and I'm now retired, and my interests are drifting, and a stick sucks in traffic, and so on.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/29/22 1:43 a.m.

Yes to Jag, but at that dollar range  I feel liked used Astons and Maserati coupes should be explored. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5NTuSEs85JjEWNWoBUDJExjfcLdqgwPg5kBmTHxvCkPLVWf7gStlUqj2aQoRcc4o