1 2 3
CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/18/20 4:25 p.m.

Just to clarify, the E36 has to be set up. It’s pretty bad from the factory. It’s fantastic with 9” wheels all around, good suspension set up correctly, RTAB limiters and good bushings.

I liked the 128i I drove a lot. Felt very similar to the E36. That’s another good option that is newer. It’s still gonna have BMW issues and will need suspension, wheels, tires and probably brake pads to be fun on a track. It’s gonna be easier to find a nice one though as compared to an E36. 

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/18/20 6:35 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

Yeah, I've driven my neighbor's 128i and it's good fun. It does seem like it is new enough that it starts to stray into anti-doing-your-own-work BMW territory. Like,I think the owner's manual doesn't specify the engine oil specifications! I'm sure the internet can find all of the info.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
6/18/20 7:14 p.m.

In reply to tremm :

That's a really cool, extremely cool version of the 7.

MattGent
MattGent Reader
6/18/20 8:41 p.m.
docwyte said:

Hmm, I just thought of something.  My friend is selling a completely built GTS2/3 E36 M3, totally caged, has a euro M3 motor in it etc.  Do you need something with a license plate that you drive to the track or can you tow?  Because if you can tow his car is amazing for the price.

Link to ad? Location?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/18/20 9:58 p.m.
Lugnut said:

... but I never got out of any of my M3s grinning and thinking, "That was a great drive!" They just aren't fun to me.

I have to say I disagree about this one, I *love* driving my M3 on track.

That said, it's a full on ST4-style build, cage, gutted interior, 2750 lbs, MCS coilovers, big Brembos, aero, etc.  I've never driven a mostly-stock M3 on track. 

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
6/19/20 7:02 a.m.

Ok, update:

-Mostly stock M3 might not be super-fun, but it will be affordable and the community is big, particularly for prepped racecars.

-996 will be super fun stock but there are questions about reliability. Or more like, there is a non-zero probability of a really expensive failure.

-C5 will be fast and hard on consumables, and it might be fun? Any thoughts on the "fun" factor here?

-BRZ/FRS, if I fit, seems like a good choice. I assume it's fun for a "slow car fast" type of car?

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/19/20 8:51 a.m.

In reply to MattGent :

Sent you an email with his contact info

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/20 8:32 p.m.

I was just going through a similar exercise for my nephew and I kept suggesting 370Z. Not light but can't be too far off a vette. There is one in my neighborhood all stickered up for SCCA so it it on my mind. Japanese maintenance with healthy grunt and chassis. But that is all on paper and I have never driven one. 

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
6/20/20 5:53 a.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

This is a good suggestion too, thanks. I don't love the car, but it makes up for it by being cheap!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
6/20/20 6:14 a.m.

M3 still available. I'm painting the fender as soon as the materials arrive. smiley

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/20/20 7:38 a.m.

Were pony cars on your original list? I guess an M3 is basically a euro pony car.

2010ish Mustang/Camaro would be in the price, size, and performance range we’re talking about, with the bonus back seat.

Out of the trio in the original post, I’d go with the Corvette or M3.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
6/20/20 10:19 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Luckily I have sold both my trailer and truck, so unless the exhaust is back to DC emissions standards.... ;)

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
6/20/20 10:20 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) :

I didn't include the pony cars since the C5 is faster, cheaper and lighter, but you're right, a 2011-14 mustang GT would also be awesome.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4YGYqSisTUtURDA4gDSskplwmXloUyQ33e95A1V30bJ9dohgVx2z3rd3srBT0wZS