1 2
bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/22 3:58 p.m.

Now get ready for the Electric Corvette Sedan

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
8/3/22 4:37 p.m.

So this explains a quandary I had at work.  There are 16 different vehicles being built on the BEV3 Skateboard architecture.  The Lyric is the first launch but overall it's everything from small SUV's to sedans etc.  And then there is a listing for the Corvette.  I just couldn't wrap my head around how the same skateboard could be used for a halo sports car and a  soccer mom SUV.  I am both intrigued and fearful of the outcome.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/22 4:42 p.m.

They've been putting the Corvette engine in pickup trucks for decades :) A good suspension under an SUV isn't a terrible idea.

I really need to learn more about the Ultium platform. It could be a very useful piece of kit.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/3/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Is that really that crazy?  Take 1985 as an example.  B-Body Caprice (sedan), G-Bodys (smaller sedan), C1500 truck, Suburban, Corvette were all a similar "skateboard" if 350cid was the skateboard.  

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/22 5:08 p.m.

Vehicle dynamic performance is pretty much a function of CG height, track width, and Power to weight.  Total weight doesn't really reduce cornering performance.   Electric cars have no issue with power, have very low CGs and the Track width can be easily varried.   Wth AWD and the ability to instantly vector torque it doesn't even have to feel heavy.   

Performance scale ability is probably much better with a Electric platform then Gas.  Because the power unit is so much more modular for it's form factor and heat management being a KWH and withdraw rare function the platform probably doesn't have to be as over built as it would to accommodate as wide of a vehicle performance envelope as it would with Gas engines.   

I have no doubt that the coming Corvette sedan will be able to all around out perform most non Performance Covette trims from previous generations.  At least in the numbers game.  

Still annoying that they are doing it but If the money from making it continues to allow GM to justify making sports cars it's a tradeoff I will make.    

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
8/3/22 5:17 p.m.

In reply to tremm :

This is the start of the automotive revolution for certain.  I spend a ton of time at work keeping it all mapped out.  It's a very wild time.  Exciting for engineers who just had a lot of rules and norms thrown out the window.  It will be interesting to see who survives and who thrives or dies.  At the moment 6 of the top 15 EV producers are from the new crop of Chinese OEMS which would have been unthinkable just a few years ago.  Ford and GM are throwing the kitchen sink at the evolution and doing some pretty interesting stuff.  It is interesting but I wouldn't place bets on any outcomes momentarily.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/22 6:33 p.m.

GM hasn't used the Corvair name in awhile...  Would that be better?  devil

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/3/22 6:52 p.m.

How many $100,000 electric SUVs do we really need?

There are a lot of people who can't afford to spend that much or don't want to spend that much. Some people don't really need a full sized SUV, EV or gas powered. Some people don't want one.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/3/22 6:59 p.m.

I'd rather they electrify the C8, but I'll never be able to afford one so it really doesn't matter to me. 

I am a bit annoyed with all the name reuse popping up though, across all the brands.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/22 7:12 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Better yet, call it a Chevette. :)

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/3/22 7:34 p.m.

Porsche basically did the same thing with the Taycan, and it seems pretty legit.

If the EV Corvette sedan can maintain the performance/$ ratio of the ICE corvette that sounds pretty appealing to me because the Taycan that I priced out yesterday was $167k

Keith Tanner
8/3/22 8:18 p.m.

Ford and GM's approaches to the electric revolution are interesting. GM had a one-off car that is a bit of a dead end evolutionarily speaking. It wasn't selling like crazy because it's a form factor that isn't super-popular with US customers. They decided to build up a future platform that will underpin everything on the road - GM does like a platform. 

Meanwhile, Ford builds a standalone SUv and modified their most popular vehicle to get EVs out the door in volume asap.  I think Ford will take a strong early lead - they already have - but will they be nimble enough to keep up with the Ultium onslaught that's starting?

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
8/3/22 8:33 p.m.

I'm starting to wonder who's sitting on all those heavy metals. They may need some freedom in the coming years.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/3/22 11:46 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

In addition, GM's platform has higher charging rates than Ford's, as well. It's going to be interesting to see who's the winner in the long-term - I'm hoping it's the consumer!

Keith Tanner
8/4/22 12:36 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Higher peak charging rates at the moment. But as seen in the Rivian / F150 tests, it's all about area under the curve. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/4/22 6:16 a.m.

Our sales manager was sent out to a big GM EV school for the Hummer EV and Cadillac Lyriq, and according to him, and most other sources I've read, it will be a Camaro EV sedan, not a Corvette EV sedan. He said that next year they've already been told that the Camaro lineup is being stripped down to just a couple trims, and then the year after it will only be a limited-edition production run of about 7000 units before being discontinued, and then it will be replaced with an EV sedan.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/4/22 6:31 a.m.

Does it come with a pair of jorts and white new balances?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/4/22 12:55 p.m.
NickD said:

Our sales manager was sent out to a big GM EV school for the Hummer EV and Cadillac Lyriq, and according to him, and most other sources I've read, it will be a Camaro EV sedan, not a Corvette EV sedan. He said that next year they've already been told that the Camaro lineup is being stripped down to just a couple trims, and then the year after it will only be a limited-edition production run of about 7000 units before being discontinued, and then it will be replaced with an EV sedan.

Calling it a Nova or Chevelle would make a lot more sense than a Camaro, although Dodge managed to pull off a Charger sedan pretty well. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/22 1:22 p.m.
nocones said:

Vehicle dynamic performance is pretty much a function of CG height, track width, and Power to weight.  Total weight doesn't really reduce cornering performance.   Electric cars have no issue with power, have very low CGs and the Track width can be easily varried.   Wth AWD and the ability to instantly vector torque it doesn't even have to feel heavy.  

I would say power to weight and some kind of "grip to weight" ratio (maybe contact patch area to perimeter ratio?) are both factors. There are things you can increase to offset the problems from added weight (power, grip, and braking force), but adding weight by itself without making any changes to compensate will reduce performance (AKA ballast).

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/4/22 1:43 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Noddaz said:

Better yet, call it a ChEVette. :)

FIFY

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/4/22 6:55 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
NickD said:

Calling it a Nova or Chevelle would make a lot more sense than a Camaro, although Dodge managed to pull off a Charger sedan pretty well. 

I would have dredged up the Biscayne nameplate. Or revived the Impala badge

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/4/22 11:49 p.m.

BonnEVille!

OK it was a Pontiac but I'm sure they still own the rights.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/22 3:00 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
nocones said:

I would say power to weight and some kind of "grip to weight" ratio (maybe contact patch area to perimeter ratio?) are both factors. There are things you can increase to offset the problems from added weight (power, grip, and braking force), but adding weight by itself without making any changes to compensate will reduce performance (AKA ballast).

But what if that weight is in a significantly better place? ICE engines are tall, batteries can hide in the floorboards and the motors can be tucked way down low as well

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
8/5/22 4:51 a.m.

I seem to recall talk from a few years ago that Ford & GM would develop the Mustang & Corvette in "brands" much like Jeep. Those names have a very high recognition in the public. 

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
8/15/22 7:54 p.m.

CNET linky

"Last Call" on the Charger and Challenger until they come back (again) as sporty, chonky crossovers

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZjDFMhrl8Q6YRfJvqGPyyyrFgTApMfkXVaKkm9yKLJ1yXTZ7wKPA1zKe4axS4TlA