1 2 3 4
AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
11/25/21 9:26 a.m.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/25/21 10:47 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

When the server asks me "how is everything tasting?" I bite my tongue instead of explaining active versus passive.

And these days when you say,"It's fine", the server will respond with "Perfect!"  That's fast becoming an overused word in the service industry.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/25/21 11:10 a.m.

Describing anything or person as "bad ass".  Someone must be paying the reality car shows to use the expression.  You could make a drinking game out of the expression.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/25/21 11:14 a.m.

"Send it"

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/21 11:16 a.m.
thedoc said:

Describing anything or person as "bad ass".  Someone must be paying the reality car shows to use the expression.  You could make a drinking game out of the expression.

In early-mid 40s now.  That was a staple phrase when we were kids.

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
11/25/21 5:31 p.m.

"So, what I hear you saying is......"

Then what they repeat back to you is never what you just said.

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/26/21 6:56 a.m.

In reply to SuperDave :

Yes.  That is the point.... your words said one thing but the subtext behind them is what was heard.

"So, what I hear you saying is...." is the preface for calling someone out on what they would have said if they had the balls to be honest with themselves, and/or you.

Opti
Opti Dork
11/26/21 7:27 p.m.

Sounds like most of yall have problems with stupid people, not necessarily phrases. 

I care about how things are said in a professional setting but not outside of one. I might rib someone for saying something incorrectly but I grew up in a pretty rural area and if we cut out all these saying most of the people I know would be down to about 10 percent of their vocabulary.

I use "work smarter, not harder" but most of the people I say it to obviously aren't thinking enough to understand what I actually mean, so it normally comes out as "use your brain" followed by the obvious solution. Depending on the situation it may be a little more colorful than that.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/26/21 7:40 p.m.

My wife has lately taken to saying "Would you like to..."

"Would you like to clean the kitchen?"  "Would you like to take out the trash?"  Etc, etc. 

I've started answering honestly. "No. I wouldn't like to do that."  "But I will"

I can't figure out why she can't say "Honey would you take out the trash?"

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/26/21 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

What many here don't realize is that what is meant is far more important than what is said.

Did they say something that annoys you? Did you understand what they meant? They conveyed a thought, using Lingua Franca.
Are you pissy toward someone not from this country trying to convey thoughts and questions? No. Why? You understand they are doing their best to communicate. 

get off your ####ing high horse people. Waah it annoys me when people say things "wrong according to me". 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/26/21 7:44 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

My wife has lately taken to saying "Would you like to..."

"Would you like to clean the kitchen?"  "Would you like to take out the trash?"  Etc, etc. 

I've started answering honestly. "No. I wouldn't like to do that."  "But I will"

I can't figure out why she can't say "Honey would you take out the trash?"

It's one of the common issues in marriages.  She doesn't want to be seen as demanding or difficult.

Instead, it's just irritating, like the "where should we go for dinner" question.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/26/21 9:21 p.m.

I'd argue that saying things incorrectly is lazy.  It leads to the same type of behavior that creates all those, "The PO did this horrible thing to this car posts."  Do you want to be like the PO?  Would you give them a free pass for twisting wires together and hiding it with tape?  Apparently some of you do. 

I have spent the last 11 years reading, writing and editing technical documents.  Now I find myself in a new job reading lots of technical documents.  Word choice matters.  Sure, be lenient when possible, but saying it doesn't matter is dishonest and ultimately lazy. 

You think it doesn't matter?  I'd ask you to give a critical and honest evaluation of journalism then.  Lies are run as front page news in bold font for all to see for weeks, months and even years.  Retractions always get printed in unreadable 6 pt font on the back pages of some obscure news source no one reads. 

Words matter.  You may not like it, but saying they don't is not a valid reason.  It's a statement made without any supporting evidence.  Shakespeare made a famous quote about the pen and sword.  Would you argue he was wrong? 

Talking to your wife about where to eat dinner only proves my point.  Choose your words wisely. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/26/21 9:25 p.m.

"Would you like to do the dishes?"

"So, what I hear you saying is..."

- Single Man

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/26/21 9:28 p.m.

"I'm going to let you get that..."

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/27/21 6:45 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to SuperDave :

Yes.  That is the point.... your words said one thing but the subtext behind them is what was heard.

"So, what I hear you saying is...." is the preface for calling someone out on what they would have said if they had the balls to be honest with themselves, and/or you.

See also: Straw man.  

it was the favoured method of at least one member on here to incite discussion 

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/27/21 7:13 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

A strawman is kind of similar, yeah.  It has the added benefit of arguing against something that YOU believe the other person would say/think/do, AND they aren't there to defend themselves.  (like arguing against a straw man)

It occurred to me that the other phrase is also often used positively, a different viewpoint of the same situation.

"*lament* I destroyed my truck after hitting a huge deer last night"

"So what I hear you saying is, you got a 5.3 ready to swap that just needs a car to throw it in"

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
11/27/21 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

So what I hear you saying is Dave is an idiot. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/27/21 5:59 p.m.

Several times, while discussing life with my millennial vet student daughter, I have said to her, "That's not what I said, it's what you heard."

My personal genetic contribution is not entirely guilt free in this.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/27/21 6:40 p.m.

"You just selectively listen."

A lifetime of deafness, from birth, but all I had to do was listen? I can choose to turn my impairment on and off? Who knew ?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/21 7:25 p.m.
KyAllroad said:

Mine is a verbal tic that seems endemic to my region.   Hanging "at" on the end of questions that don't need it.

"Where did you park at?"

"where did you go to lunch at?"

Say the same sentence without the "at" and it's perfectly coherent.   Leave it off.

In college, we were working on a group project. The assignment was to do 10 questions, then compare answers. One of the students said to me, "have you done eight yet?"

My reply, "In Kentucky, that's how they ask you if your hungry." She just looked at me. There's a reason I've spent a lot of time alone.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kh1OQPK5DWUl0gaqxozTBZ809VfbMPIhkTZmFWI3YoJxJQ0rFxCDpGvGB5YnJw2q