Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
3/26/18 11:05 a.m.
feature_image

A Merkur XR4Ti is cool. A Merkur XR4Ti with a well-executed V8 swap? That makes it a real giant slayer. Forum member Shawnb has built just that. And he's listing it for sale right on our message board. Did we mention that it has a clean title and is registered to drive on the street?

Read the rest of the story

jdoc90
jdoc90 New Reader
3/26/18 7:33 p.m.

I have always been intrigued by the merkur. The turbo 4 IS TUNABLE , THE TCRUD TRANNY CAN BE REPLACED BY A WORLD CLASS T5 .I like the sierra cosworth look, relatively light , practical , now cheap . I know the v8 is always the fallback route , but to me it is just meh .I prefer to go turbo 4 modern turbo 4 , maybe the ford ecoboost  ,to keep it in the family. maybe gm eco tech whatever makes more grunt with best economy and strength , but cheaply . maybe a subie turbo boxer mitsu diamond star 4  so many ideas and about 350hp target  .it would be fun light and fast without sucking gas . 

Shawnb
Shawnb Reader
3/27/18 2:47 p.m.

In reply to jdoc90 :

This is mine. I purchased it as a roller, and the previous owner went through 3 different 2.3 setups. They all blew up. 

Having owned a ton of much superior turbo cars in the past, I didn't want to deal with the heat issues a turbo car brings on track. Let alone the archaic ford Lima turbo motor. So I avoided that route, and went with a SBF. Parts are easy to find, cheap and proven with none of the turbo hassles. 

A modern ecoboost setup would be cool, but alot of the mustang guys have blown those up. Not to mention to costs associated with that would far exceed this. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n7DU2DV8YMRyLcnV839uinerRzT5LT0rCjfdXJ8p1hT7Hw5QmNwxsPbTlVkaH2wU