David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/24/19 9:27 a.m.
feature_image

Some projects stay, some go. For more than five years we have watched SkinnyG’s V8-powered Pontiac Firefly take form in a build thread on our forum. Now that the car is complete, it’s time for a new caretaker. The Firefly is currently listed on Bring a Trailer. Any bets on where the bidding will stop?

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
4/29/19 10:28 a.m.

One day left and a top bid of $3500.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
4/30/19 12:25 p.m.

Love it!

Current bid $3500...

David S. Wallens
4/30/19 12:37 p.m.
chknhwk said:

Love it!

Current bid $3500...

Four hours and change to go....

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
5/1/19 8:39 p.m.

Went for $4500US which some think is low, but it's such a unique vehicle that only a handful of people are really into owning something like this. As such, and is often the case with something really unique, it all depends on who buys it.

Could I have gotten more?  Dunno.  Would/Coulda/Shoulda.  I'm very pleased with the winning bid, it covers my parts costs and puts a bit more in my pocket to find the next project.  There is always a next project.  And I've been sitting on "next project" since LAST February, so I'm pretty keen to get into it.

A SPECIAL THANK YOU, to all you on the forum, and ESPECIALLY the staff of GRM - you guys all put wind in my sails more often than you know, and it's cool to have brought this car up with you and shared all the fun along the way.  I appreciate you folks immensely!

Y'all are like family.  Except I can logout when it gets a little weird.

Thanks!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/1/19 8:59 p.m.

As someone who is building a unique vehicle myself, I was rooting for more. I know this is not a positive cashflow game, but still!?

That said, I did take advantage of a similar situation and bought a running ready to drive Volvo 760 with a ford 302 for about $600 USD.  Cause challenge.

Pete

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
5/1/19 9:20 p.m.

The best way to find out what something is worth, is to put it in a no-reserve auction.  It brought in, what it was worth, that day.  It also had WAY MORE views than almost ALL the auctions at that time. Could I have gotten more? Maybe.  Maybe less.

A cool car, yes! But it's just like that Hot/Psycho girlfriend: exciting, but not everybody wants to settle down with one.

Never, ever, put a dollar figure to your labour.

------

I'm looking at my '61 Apache from the kitchen window.  And how the V8 Firefly plates are going to look on the Lethal Locost again!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/2/19 7:36 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

I think your signature line sums it up pretty well. 

Pete

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/19 9:50 a.m.
SkinnyG said:

Y'all are like family.  Except I can logout when it gets a little weird.

i LOL'd

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
5/2/19 10:20 a.m.

Location didn't help the sale unfortunately.  Fully 2,000 miles away from me.  I shared the listing on my local SCCA group and it got buzz but nobody willing to plunk down the cash for a 4,000 mile round trip to bring back such a cool car.   And it really is cool!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
5/2/19 7:46 p.m.

It made the rounds locally too, yet no love either.

Hot/Psycho.  Seriously.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iCbjPsfBP0Zik6XLaFcdctigrytRUbIRwBYBQecUeMcv2WCcusJRLXzNuxnnsBJJ