1 2
stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/28/12 8:25 a.m.

A 1990 Yugo convertible with 351 miles on the odometer is entered in the January Barrett-Jackson auction: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=722&aid=466 No reserve!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
12/28/12 8:30 a.m.

Maybe it will take the "lowest selling price" away from the Chrysler TC.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
12/28/12 8:36 a.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

You won't be so smug when it sells for $38 K.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/28/12 8:37 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Maybe it will take the "lowest selling price" away from the Chrysler TC.

Not sure what the TC sold for but these traditionally sell around 10-15k. Do want!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/28/12 9:08 a.m.

So want to watch that sale!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/28/12 9:09 a.m.

I love Yugo Cabriolets. They are how I met Jonny Pruitt, ended up with his first challenge car, and found GRM.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/28/12 9:27 a.m.

Ha! I went looking for the Cabrio story. I'd forgotten some people on the Yugo group thought it was a hoax. Below was my response back in the day to it:

Here is the orginal deal with the $950 Cabrio. I, Matthew, was driving to the store one day, when I saw this little bitty grey convertible, that I didn't know what it was. When I stopped by on the way back home, I saw that it was a Yugo Cabrio, priced at $950. I had been looking for a commuter car, as I have a ~75 mile round trip commute every day. I got online looking for specs on a 90 Yugo Cabrio. I found this list [yugounitedgvowners2], sent a message asking about reliability and gas mileage on a Cabrio. I was blasted for even thinking about using it as a commuter car, as a Cabrio is a unicorn. About 15 people wanted to buy it, but since I didn't actually own it, I couldn't sell it to them. I tried selling my Celica in time to buy it, but I was afraid that someone would buy it and not appreciate it, as I found out how rare of a car it was. So, wanting the Cabio to go to a good home, (and being a greedy little bastard (or was it resourceful?) [I was young - I'm not greedy anymore]) I offered the Cabrio to the first person to bring me a Yugo Hatchback with keys and title. Jonny Pruitt, who was also in Texas, although 12 hours north of here was the first to bite. I gave him info on the dealer and he said he would come down sometime soon. Then, one day around 11am, I get a call as I am just leaving for work, it is Jonny, he said he was in Corpus and has just bought the Cabrio wanted to meet with me to give me his GVX with the 1500CC Strada engine. I met with him, bought him a lunch at Joe's Crab Shack (my god Jonny can eat!). So Jonny got the $950 Cabrio and I got the world famous GVX, for a $42.32 lunch at Joe's Crab Shack and as a finder's fee for the worlds least expensive Cabrio. However, unknown to me, and Jonny at the time the Cabrio had major issues. I believe that the 1300cc engine had been swapped for a 1100cc at some point, and the car was in really bad shape under the hood. I talked to Jay @ Orion in Houston at length about the car, and he told me all he know about the Grey Cabrio from Oklahoma, which was one of the neatest conversations I have ever had. It gave me a real sense of community with aficionado of Yugos. So, to sum it all up, the $950 Yugo was not a hoax, Jonny Pruitt now has it.

Jonny says our friendship began with "blackmail"

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/28/12 11:15 a.m.

For anyone interested in Yugo's, The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History by Jason Vuic is a good read.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the best Yugo in the world brings...

andrave
andrave Dork
12/28/12 12:19 p.m.

I also like the movie they made about them, 2 yugo, 2 furious.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/28/12 12:42 p.m.

There is a movie called Drowning Mona where everyone drives Yugos.

andrave
andrave Dork
12/28/12 12:43 p.m.

I don't know many people that drive yugos, but the ones I know that do all own more than one. I feel like that says something. I'm not sure exactly what, but something.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/28/12 1:09 p.m.

And from the complete opposite end of the spectrum, http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=5011&aid=466

Because when the thought of owning a regular Porsche 959 bores you, you can buy one of the escaped prototypes.

andrave
andrave Dork
12/28/12 1:30 p.m.

In reply to glueguy:

Who writes this E36 M3? The Porsche 959 is one of the greatest sports cars ever to be assembled and touch the black asphalt which covers the roads on which the 959 is an undisputed champion.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/28/12 2:03 p.m.
andrave wrote: Who writes this E36 M3? The Porsche 959 is one of the greatest sports cars ever to be assembled and touch the black asphalt which covers the roads on which the 959 is an undisputed champion.

Jesus berkeleying Christ! That "sentence" looks like something from engrish.com or the like.

andrave
andrave Dork
12/28/12 3:31 p.m.

I know, and its in the description of a car which may sell for over a million dollars or thereabouts, and places there by one of the world's premier auction houses. Somewhat redonkulous.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/28/12 3:45 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Ha! I went looking for the Cabrio story. I'd forgotten some people on the Yugo group thought it was a hoax. Below was my response back in the day to it:
So, to sum it all up, the $950 Yugo was not a hoax, Jonny Pruitt now has it.
Jonny says our friendship began with "blackmail"

awesome story

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/28/12 5:08 p.m.

There's also this:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-%E2%80%93-the-jokes-on-u-s-the-short-wild-ride-of-the-yugo-in-america/

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
12/28/12 9:19 p.m.
andrave wrote: I don't know many people that drive yugos, but the ones I know that do all own more than one. I feel like that says something. I'm not sure exactly what, but something.

My old boss has 3.

A mint cabrio, a mint GVX, and a beater GV that wears snow tires all year.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
12/28/12 10:02 p.m.

I love Barrett-Jackson. I was going to abbreviate that, but A- I didn't want to offend the ladies, and B- well, that other thing doesn't really need my profession of love.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
12/29/12 7:17 a.m.

So, with Lot number 722, I'm guessing its a Thurs afternoon car. I'm also guessing $10k-15k

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
12/29/12 2:02 p.m.
andrave wrote: I don't know many people that drive yugos, but the ones I know that do all own more than one. I feel like that says something. I'm not sure exactly what, but something.

I've only got one, but it gets driven about as often as you would expect a beat up Italian car built by communists to get driven.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/12 9:38 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I've only got one, but it gets driven about as often as you would expect a beat up Italian car built by communists to get driven.

I nominate this for Say What

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
12/29/12 9:58 p.m.

i think they are being ironic- so ironic that they think they aren't even being ironic.. but they are..

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
12/29/12 11:42 p.m.

My Yugo stories:

I met a hot redhead that drove one, when they were new. That was a time before my car-brain overpowered the other brain.

The son of one of the guys I hunt with brought his Yugo to deer camp one time. The heater didn't work, so he and his uncle were frozen when they got there. It was painted in Martini livery. 8)

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/30/12 6:28 a.m.

78 yugo gv $1800

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/3434159778.html

$1800? Seems crack pipe pricing

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
seQE6eWlvB7JPm7xajtG04pAXeapZjTjRz8S6tkbIh7W3AadZiZ0qPEtnkNYzAdG