1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/17/22 9:35 p.m.

I got the Hepco pannier rack in yesterday and perusing the instructions showed me that I need the die cast bag mounts they are provided with the bags when new.  Without the adapters the boxes won't mount.  Quickly verified stock in VA at Motomachines the Hepco US sales distributor.  They should be here soon.  
I came back from a ride last week and noticed one fork leg was oily.  Crap.  I heard good things about the simple Seal Mate tool so I ordered some.  I went out for a few rides after ordering them and today went out to try the tool and the fork was dry.  Cool.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/4/22 10:24 p.m.

I signed up for The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride on 5/22.  Riders from around the world will take part in an event supporting men's health issues focused on prostrate cancer and mental health.  This event is focused on a small slice of bikes like old school choppers and bobbers, cafe racers, brat style, scramblers and modern classics.  The Duc fits right in.  I got involved with the event organizers and will be working to help create the downtown Detroit route.  Should be fun and it's a great cause.  Plus the event founders are targeting dapper dressed riders so tweed cosplay riding event!   I may post my donation link should this be allowed here.  If not, reach out and I'll send it to you directly.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/11/22 9:55 p.m.

If anyone is interested in donating to the cause here is my link.

https://gfolk.me/ToddHipsky360940

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/24/22 10:05 p.m.

Last Sunday was the Detroit Distinguished Gentleman's Ride, a global ride for charity focusing on men mental health and Movember.  Basically, dress dapper and ride a vintage or vintage styled motorbike.  64 riders arrived at the Foundation Hotel for a ride around Detroit-Belle Isle, Nancy Whiskey, then Jolly Pumpkin with enjoyable stops at all three locations.  I upheld the Italian brands as the sole rider of said nations bikes.  It was a different type of ride for me but great fun none the less.  I look forward to working as an organizer next year.

To make up for the detail and chain clean and lube I did Saturday, the 6 year old battery was dead this morning.  Yay!  I grabbed one on my way home tonight and stuck it in.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/31/22 6:53 p.m.

I had noticed a bit of oil on the forks and a very small puddle under one leg.  Consulting with some bike buddies the recommended a cleaning with a Seal Mate tool.  This is a small piece of thin plastic sheet with a hook at the end.  After you remove the dust seal you place the tool against the fork leg and it matches the curve of the fork.  Work it under the oil seal and run it around the fork a few times to clean the seal lip.  You then cycle the forks a few times, clean up the oil, and reinstall the dust seals.  I needed to do a few more steps based on my bike but it's done and we'll see how it works.  Looking at the dust seals and the oil condition I'm way overdue for a fork and shock rebuild along with new oil.  I'm going to increase spring rate at both ends as well.  
During the bike detail I also noticed the chain and sprockets are done so I just ordered a chain and sprocket kit along with a crankcase saver that surrounds the front sprocket.  I'll include pics of the swap.  

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/22 10:48 p.m.

Are these the original fork seals still? If so, definitely time for new.

The seals on my Multistrada lasted not more than 5 years at best.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/1/22 6:49 a.m.

I'm not sure if they are original or not but it's past time to replace them now for sure.   Dust seals had some cracks and oil wasn't clean.  I've found a place local to me that I'll have do the work with the new springs.  After that I'll do it myself.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/12/22 9:24 p.m.

The Seal Mate tool did the trick.  I'll get through this riding season then pull the bike suspension apart for new oil, springs front and rear, and seals.  
Beautiful night tonight so I went out for a rip.  This bike isn't fast but makes great sounds and works well for me.  

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/13/22 9:29 a.m.

A friend of mine, Pat Reilly, is involved with the distinguished gentleman's ride.  In case you run across him...

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/19/22 2:06 p.m.

Thanks.  Is he involved at HQ or a local ride?   From what I understand over 90,000 folks rode  in this years event in over 100 countries around the world.  Pretty cool if you think about it.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/19/22 2:12 p.m.

So after the DGR I changed the oil.  I decided this time to pull the crank case screen filter to check and clean it.  I ham-handed the oil temp sensor and broke it.  No one local stocks these and they're stupid expensive for a simple thermistor.  I was able to find the correct Ducati part and get one shipped to me but also sourced two low cost VAG sensors that some swore would work.  In my experience they did not reading very much higher than actual oil temp.  Thankfully temps were low enough to allow me to continue riding with only minor terror over possible engine melt down due to 300F reading I saw with the low-cost sender.  When the correct part arrived I drained the oil, swapped the sensor and refilled the oil.  No leaks, good temps and no problems now.  I spent about $12 trying two other senders with no luck. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/19/22 2:17 p.m.

I am regularly reminded that almost every new Duc even the new SUV...er, Multistrada, has sooo much more HP it's not even funny.  Like 70 MORE.  I went for a ride with a two friends yesterday and both routinely walked away from me.  One on a Monster 821 and the other on his new Multistrada V4 Pikes Peak.   

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/3/22 9:37 p.m.

So I won the auction for a pair of local OEM Ducati GT1000 wheels.  I bought these for the hubs so I can build a set of aluminum wheels with stainless steel spokes to both lower the wheel weight and eliminate the failed plated spokes.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/26/22 9:15 p.m.

Bringing this back up as I'm back to working on it again...or at least parts of it again.  
I dismantled the wheels I noted above to salvage the hubs.  With the compressor at full pressure I pulled out the death wheel and made short work of the spokes then scrapped the chrome plated steel rims.  
Late last summer I needed to replace the chain and sprockets.  I lifted the rear wheel up on my stand and went to work.  First time I've done this job so I took my time and got the R&R process wrapped up then went to torque the front sprocket.  With the wheel off the ground even in gear    I couldn't keep things from spinning.  I had the bright idea to lower the bike down to get the tire on the ground to create friction.  Recall both my inexperience and lack of front stand noted above.  I put the wrench on the sprocket nut and over she went!  Broken mirror, broken fairing plexiglass and crinkled muffler!   Damn.  
I sourced a new mirror head from the UK and got it installed.  I got a pair of NOS Termignoni mufflers from ebay for a really freakishly low price due to a poor listing.    The fairing is a Ducati Performance accessory that is NLA and I can't find the original maker though I believe it to be Puig. 
Santa brought me a front stand this year to avoid future repeat performances so I've got that going for me.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/26/22 9:23 p.m.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/26/22 9:26 p.m.

And the carnage.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
12/27/22 7:57 a.m.

Ouch

Gzwg
Gzwg New Reader
12/27/22 9:23 a.m.

Ouch as well. But should a screen shatter like that? 
The one on my Kawasaki feels pretty soft..

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/27/22 10:43 a.m.

I think it hit the vertical column of my lift on the way down.  Aluminum portion of then fairing wasn't scratched or damaged in any way.  If I can't find a replacement screen I may just have an aluminum panel made to fit or may just leave it off.  It was small and didn't really offer any wind protection.  In fact my helmet is less affected now at highway speeds than it was when the screen was in place.  Mirror replacement was foremost, quick to replace, and inexpensive with a new head coming in from the UK.  Muffler damage will be resolved this spring with a quick swap of the cans.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
12/27/22 1:30 p.m.

sorry to read about the mishap! Hope you get it sorted soon.

I was readig about your friends and their fast bikes. I was on my Triumph all weekend, and man its so slow compared to my panigale or even my 998, but now that I am old and slow myself its satisfying to ride in a different way. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/27/22 2:03 p.m.

I just unboxed the mufflers and they are gorgeous and unused.  $340 shipped for a pair of brand new Termignoni mufflers for a this old bike is unheard of.  New sets from Termi now are over $1000.  Woo Hoo!  Score.

I'll get the hubs cleaned up and to my buddies shop for powder coat next week then off to Buchanan Spoke and Wheel for new SS spokes and Excel brushed aluminum rims.  I should feel enhanced turn in due to lighter weight and reduced inertia but I'll still be the slowest bike of the bunch.  I'm old and OK with that though.  I enjoy a casual ride and the look, feel, and sound of my old Duc.  I wanted something quicker and that offered better handling than my Shovelhead H-D and I got that.   

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/26/23 1:23 p.m.

Sourced the last replacement piece for those broken last fall when I found a used Ducati Performance front fairing on eBay last night.  I only need the plastic portion for mine but I'll have a backup for the future.   

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/27/23 10:46 p.m.

I'm working to get the Duc ready for this year's Distinguished Gentleman's Ride.  Hubs out for powder coat and new tires ordered.  Would you sponsor me for this ride benefiting men's health and the Movember organization?

2023 DGR Detroit

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/11/23 8:17 a.m.

Hubs powder coated.  

I went with gloss black to help hide chain oil and other road schmutz.  

I loaded up the battery, reinstalled the side covers and seat, and took off for a ride.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/10/23 7:35 p.m.

9 days until DGR.  Please consider donating to men's mental health and Movember. 

https://gfolk.me/ToddHipsky360940

in bike news, the hubs got new Cush drive bushings pressed in post powder coating and are on their way to CA for aluminum rim/polished SS spokes and nipples.  New tires await-Michelin Road 6-but before they're installed I'm going to try and convert them to tubeless to cut a few more pounds and make them road side repairable.  Wish me luck on this and the DGR!

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tUS9eAFeyZ8uMK6wA41RI9sKnA2xFkn2ZPh6LYRawZf2u6g0XhVkQleXgnvopakb