dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
11/9/22 10:42 a.m.

I've been riding a bicycle a lot more often than anticipated and would like to expand beyond the walking/biking trail near my office.. my old Fuji Sport 10 is getting pretty tired, and it looks like it costs a lot less to buy a decent used road bike than to upgrade and or restore the Fuji. (I had no idea cool wheels for bicycles cost so much). This bike is probably a 4 hr drive from me, but looks to be in good shape and I think the frame is the right size for me.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/d/glyndon-1998-bianchi-campione-ditalia/7537737090.html

I'm not well versed in bicycles, and I don't need anything super trick or high end as I don't intend to race or ride for some extreme distance, but I'd like something of good quality that's hopefully a bit lighter than the Fuji and fun to ride. Is this a good price? Why are gearsets so expensive and what makes one better than another? Anything else I should look at or should know before buying?

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/9/22 7:16 p.m.

I had a steel frame Bianchi in the mid-90's with no complaints (other than it hurt when a 40mph car used my right thigh to bend the top tube in half). It had a 54cm frame which was really 1-2cm too small (~5'10", 31"-ish actual inseam).

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/ exists for bike price estimates, but I have no idea if it is considered accurate or not.

Based on a quick look at the local CL, I'd say that '98 Bianchi includes some markup for all the matching Celeste Green bottle, cages, and clipless pedals, but overall it does look to be in very good condition and it is not massive price gouging but also not super screaming cheap.
IMO, since you don't sound like an "it's classic Italian or it's crap" aficionado, that seems like a lot of driving for a good but maybe not exceptional 24 y.o. road bike.  I don't know enough to make a good comparison, maybe someone asking $18k for a 1990 Alfa Romeo with 70k miles, factory hard top, and service records from the last of 2x owners?  Classic Motorsports rather than GRM Challenge?  If there is something about the bike you really like, it does not matter what some rando on the internet thinks; all values are relative.
Basic (obvious) stuff to check on a used bike: frame damage (esp. cracks--not likely-- or a badly tweaked derailleur hanger, although steel can be bent back and/or repaired), are all the bearings smooth (wheels, bottom bracket, headset; slop is not good but may fixed with adjustment, notchiness means something needs to be replaced), slop or wear on drivetrain components. Poor shifting may be simple adjustment, or it may be a tweaked der hanger and/or worn components.  Wheels should be true and have even spoke tension, with no flat spots or bulges in the rim.  There are some old-school techniques like holding the front brake and trying to roll the bike back and forth to check for slop in the headset bearings; hold the rear wheel off the ground and put your ear on the saddle while spinning the rear wheel to listen for bearing noises.  
If you have a local bike shop (or any that are closer than 4hrs away, or are even along the way driving to see the Bianchi), test ride anything and everything they have close to the same price range, new or used, just for comparison (however, the standard wisdom is "never test ride anything you cannot afford").  There are going to be new lower-end road bikes for $500-600, or you may find you like something better than a classic drop-bar road bike.

Bikes Direct mostly has decent bikes for less $, and for $500 you can start to get into aluminum frames and mechanical disk brakes (but look very carefully at what you do and do not get, like no "STI" combo shifter+brake levers, and of course no chance to test ride first).
Depending on where all you want to ride, a hardtail (no rear suspension) mountain bike with minimal-tread XC tires or skinny slicks might be worth considering too (or it may be an overly heavy compromise you don't want).  Wider 700C roadbike tires fit on "29er" MTB wheels.  OTOH, just start with a road/gravel bike if you want drop bars.  And of course the frame geometry is different.

Component groups: you pay for lightness, smoother shifting (specifically under load), slightly better durability, and elitism (seriously).  More # of speeds means less gap between gears and/or a slightly larger gear range; OTOH a single front chainring ("1x" or "One-by" drivetrain) with 10, 11, or 12-speed rear has the advantage of completely eliminating the front derailleur.  For MTB stuff at least, newer lower-end components can function nearly as well as older higher-end components, are significantly cheaper, and only marginally heavier/ less durable.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
11/10/22 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Oapfu :

I think most of my interest in the Bianchi or similar is that I'd like to buy a bike that was built by workers in decent labor conditions, and to do that with a new bike is way out of my price range. My understanding is that most of the major bike brands now have outsourced their manufacturing, and however trivial my own consumer habits might be, it makes me feel a bit better to not fuel the machine of cheap labor and minimal worker's rights. Most of my clothes are secondhand for the same reason, though maybe I'm just naive.

Thanks for the explanation on component groups! That's the best break down I've gotten so far, all my friend who rides extensively could tell me was that more expensive stuff usually "shifts smoother."

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
11/20/22 11:08 a.m.

Well I made the trip yesterday and brought it home for an even $500. I'm patiently waiting for the temperature to go back above 40° so I can ride it for more than a minute or two..

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/22 11:45 a.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

Nice!

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/22 5:23 p.m.

Nice bike.  I always liked that Bianchi Green color.   Put on new tires/tubes, lube the chain. and brake pads. It probably has sealed bearings in the hubs.   Maybe the headset  and crankshaft bearings need attention (also sealed?) 

donalson
donalson PowerDork
1/19/23 2:51 a.m.

beautiful bike...  I'm a sucker for lugged steel and Celeste green

thinks I can throw out there... if you aren't a skinny guy that gearing is going to suck for any sort of climbing... I know a lot of the campy shifters of that timeline could do double or triple cranks and you can find campy triple cranks and deraliuers without too much issue... I don't recall the timeline for how campy changed hub spacing and such for going to 9-11 speeds  but I do know it was a lot earlier than shimano.

LOVE the bike... if I could find a clean frameset in a size I could ride (63cm+) i'd snap one up... i'd build it up with shimergo (campy shifters and shimano)... I love campy shifter shapes... granted newer shimano is closer to that 2ks campy shape

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/21/23 10:14 a.m.

I miss my Bianchi. Of all the bikes I've had, my Celeste green Bianchi got the most looks, thumbs up and comments (even from non bike people). Just a heads up that if you need to replace any of the Campy components, the price is most likely going to be a bit higher than say Shimano stuff. 

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/23 11:40 a.m.

That's a nice looking ride!

Cool thing about bikes is that they're endlessly customizable to get exactly what you want, as detailed above.

Short term just get it lubed and adjusted, maybe new tires depending on age, and throw down some miles

travellering
travellering HalfDork
2/4/23 10:26 p.m.

Hopefully it's low mileage and the shifters weren't used too much.. I raced several seasons on shifters of that vintage, and the pawls and springs in the shifter wore flats on each other.  If you pulled on the cable on the downtube, it would click at the shifter.  One in good condition would be harder than you can comfortably pull on a thin steel cable before it would give.  As they, and the frame, aged, the stress of flexing the bottom bracket in sprints and up steep climbs would cause it to shift into harder gears.  Fine if you're ready for it, but not so good when you're trying to put outmax effort in a race finish.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
2/9/23 2:07 p.m.

In reply to donalson :

I'm about 5'8" and 148 lbs, I've climbed some decent hills on it without issue so far. I've put about 30 miles on the bike so far, but the winter air does havoc on my lungs so it has been hung up inside. I picked up a shorter steering stem to bring the bars closer to me, but haven't installed it yet. The handlebar wrap is so nicely done that I'm going to be sad to take it off in order to get the new stem in place.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0E0pN0fW0rJeEM5BtcBGEuUzOyJ0wlNYUiWlTCWASW0RyMu9ZiC71m7pmoxcT9Y8