Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
3/26/12 12:09 p.m.

So I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of a board track racer replica, using a cruiser style bike and a 80cc engine that can be had on ebay for around $100. I'm still in college for the time being and this would be an awesome way to get the "project bug" and automotive ADD at bay instead of buying expensive parts my WRX doesn't really need.

So here is the picture that got it all started...

And here is the engine... link

Just looking for thoughts and ideas about actually doing it.

*edit, sorry I misspelled board in the title cant change it now...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/26/12 12:26 p.m.

No idea but I am watching with interest.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
3/26/12 12:27 p.m.

This is probably closer to what I would do.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/26/12 1:48 p.m.

Is it a motorized bicycle or is it registered as a motorcycle?

<49cc = moped.

80cc = MC?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
3/26/12 1:54 p.m.

This is highly relevent to my interests.

I have been wanting to build something like this in the style of a second or third year Harley for some time.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
3/26/12 8:55 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Is it a motorized bicycle or is it registered as a motorcycle? <49cc = moped. 80cc = MC?

If I used a 80cc yes it would be a motorcycle and would have to be registered, they also make 49cc kits as well which is what I would use, thanks for the heads up.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
3/26/12 9:59 p.m.

In reply to Uncoiled:

You've probably done this already but if not, use google images to get a lot of ideas from. I think it's a good idea and there are people who use them to comute with. If you plan to do that I'd suggest using a 4 stroke engine along with a torque converter/cvt trans. in order to get more reliability and hill pulling ability. There's a Co. called Phoenix, I think, that build some really great looking bikes. I'm in TN right now and the law requies them to be over 50cc and they must be registered. If I were going to comute with one I'd want it to have the most power and braking ability possible. Keep us posted.

alex
alex UltraDork
3/26/12 10:50 p.m.

Just do me a favor and don't uncork the pipe and just ride back and forth on the same street, blowing stop signs with impunity, like the guys down the road from me. I don't want to be that shiny happy person to piss on somebody's fun, but those guys are really trying patience.

Now if you'll excuse me, gotta go yell at these kids on my lawn...

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
3/26/12 11:29 p.m.
Uncoiled wrote:

'round these parts those are called "Bum bikes" Primarily ridden by guys who haven't bathed in weeks and who shout at you from the fence line asking for bottles and cans. They would have ape hanger handlebars though.

Here in oregon they are a legal grey area. They are not registerable as a motorcycle or moped so they cannot be driven in traffic. They can't operate in bike lanes unless the motor is off and they are being pedaled. They are only legally operated on 25mph or less streets, so just in neighborhoods. Cops love to pull them over.

Mental
Mental PowerDork
3/27/12 3:11 p.m.
alex wrote: ...Now if you'll excuse me, gotta go yell at these kids on my lawn...

Ya know, they wouldn't get yelled at if they would simply stay off the lawn

alex
alex UltraDork
3/27/12 9:49 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
Uncoiled wrote:
'round these parts those are called "Bum bikes" ... They would have ape hanger handlebars though.

Yeah, those!

ditchdigger wrote: Here in oregon they are a legal grey area. They are not registerable as a motorcycle or moped so they cannot be driven in traffic. They can't operate in bike lanes unless the motor is off and they are being pedaled. They are only legally operated on 25mph or less streets, so just in neighborhoods. Cops love to pull them over.

Send some of your cops my way, please.

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
3/28/12 9:03 a.m.

Just build one w/ a 150cc+ motorcycle motor and kill yourself in STYLE:

http://bubblevisor.blogspot.com/2012/03/saint.html

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/12 11:39 a.m.

http://spookytoothcycles.com/ This < website has some great information and kits. Basically the same as the ones on the ebay but with support from real people.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/4/12 11:51 a.m.

$450 !!!! I can't wait to get old and terrorize a gated community!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
4/4/12 12:31 p.m.

I thought for awhile of taking apart one of my mopeds and chopping up an old bike to make something akin to Burt Munroe's Indian in The Worlds Fastest Indian.

49cc, but in my state (MD) that has a big advantage of not needing tags/registration/added licensure...

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/12 6:00 p.m.

Tis all isn't helping me talk my self out of getting one of tose kits. A 49cc moped would be perfect for getting around for me (nice urban city). Um might make a nice weekend project

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
4/4/12 6:03 p.m.

Look into local laws

As I said, MD is nice because I am exempt with the displacement, OH I had to have a tag on it and everything.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
4/5/12 1:34 p.m.

This is still an awesome project but doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it happen, if someone else does post it up!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/16/12 8:26 p.m.

Ok so none of those bikes have brakes (which I know the original board trackers did not have). Does any one have any ideas on how to hide brakes so they aren't obvious and still kinda stop the bike? Or are these bikes just so slow you don't care?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
4/16/12 9:45 p.m.

Some look to have bicycle style brakes on the front forks that grip the rim. The Saint shown above has a disk on the other side of the motor from the drive sprocket.

http://bubblevisor.blogspot.com/2012/03/saint.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h7HijbtQKZiBMmfWc276aKq7eChiuZ1biZdCwWjoqYDin6zSmV6Q1d94cwK97l4j