Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/25/21 2:34 p.m.

I was reading about the CBR1000RR - powered S600 that Jay Leno featured on one of his shows. The builder said that donor engines were cheap and plentiful, and that he'd bought an entire low-mileage bike for something like $1,500.

Huh? Where are these deals to be found? I'm finding more along the lines of bare engines for $2,500 and bikes with seized engines or such for $3,500. 

edit: As an aside, what is it about motorcycle owners that makes them list their bikes with incomplete descriptions? 90 percent of the Facebook ads I see say CBR and nowhere mention which displacement or variant. Clearly the 600 is the most common model, but WTF? That'd be like BMW owners listing their cars only as "3-series".  

mdshaw
mdshaw HalfDork
11/26/21 3:11 p.m.

From what I have seen is that a few years ago one could get parts bikes cheaper but now everyone thinks they can slap a bike engine in anything & be cool , or that it's so easy to build that cafe racer from a cheap old bike.  I think those days are gone unless the wholesalers like Copart have them. There has to be a lot of wrecked street bikes out there. 

I'm not sure I have much helpful insight, but used motorcycles seem to also be impacted by the pandemic...around here prices are higher and the number of used bikes being sold is lower than usual.

Regarding listings on Facebook, the listing tools in marketplace are abysmal, and don't give you many options to describe the bike, and then add lazy sellers on top of the crappy listing parameters and you have....well, Facebook! If I'm shopping only locally, I prefer the regional forums on advrider.com (don't be shy about posting a WTB) and I've also had decent luck with eBay when I'm open to shipping or driving a little ways.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
11/27/21 9:00 p.m.

Funny, I always seem to get trade offers of motorcycles when I try selling a cheap car on FB. Also ATVs and snowmobiles. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
11/30/21 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

Simple. TV. Under report prices paid, over report value/sale/auction prices. 

On the f b bs, I agree! Except saying "would be like..." I'm sure ya could find some bimmer ads that say exactly that!surprise

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2GDOSjlto8FkwFRQczFkKVNuY0CtC51mQY7C9SLtzwj88cahOcsI4DWm3oHOSBua