ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/19 4:46 p.m.

Hey guys, I feel the need to thin my herd a bit, and reduce the number of projects I have on my plate, so I am thinking about selling off some or all of my Suzuki DR350 stuff, located in Portland, OR. Before I do a thorough inventory and head over the eBay and Craigslist, I thought I would see if anyone here is in the market for a lightweight six-speed dual sport or three, or any specific DR350 parts, because I like the thought of this stuff going to a GRMer.

Here's the highlights/Cliff's Notes:

-Complete DR350SE custom, I call it my flyweight ADV bike. As of early September, runs but still needs minor sorting...and I hope to keep working on it. CRF250 swingarm/RMZ250 fork swap, powdercoated frame, fairing/headlight upgrade, custom bigger brakes, custom seat, stainless lines, triple clamp, custom footpegs, custom aluminum kickstand, custom exhaust, custom rack, custom instrumentation with TrailTech Vapor/charge indicator, custom lighting, wiring, USB charge port, modified plastics, both electric start and kickstart backup, heated grips, and more... New gaskets, cables, tires, brake pads, etc.

-Supermoto wheelset laced onto stock hubs

-EBC Supermoto big front brake kit, new.

-Parts bike with street-legal SE titled frame and low hour kick-start dirt model engine with pumper carb. Currently rolling on the supermoto wheels, but incomplete as it sits now. I'm sure I have 99% of the parts to complete this one.

-Spare rolling chassis with street-legal SE frame currently carrying VT registration, transferrable to other states for a title.

-Spare dirt frame, bare, with CA dismantler's paperwork.

-Kientech Vortex aluminum airbox, just needs a new filter and a cover (the original was a metal plate with a few Dzus fasteners.

-Dirt and street tanks, plastics, seats, stock exhausts, multiple spare cylinder heads, complete SE bottom end, complete SE wiring harness and electrics, spare swingarm, spare rear dirt shock, tons of small parts.

I'd be interested in talking about parting with all of it for $3000 to a GRMer. I'm also open to parting it out. Willing to work with you on shipping, particularly for small parts. Let me know if there is something DR350 that you are looking for, and I will see if I have it. I will edit this post if things change.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
9/3/19 4:59 p.m.

I'm soooo happy Oregon is so far away.  I've never HAD to sleep on the couch before, but this would probably get me there.  So much want.  GLWS

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/4/19 4:35 p.m.

What are the axle sizes on the DR?   

I seem to remember something about a swap with DR wheels and KTM that might help get my 620RXC Motarded.

ae86andkp61
9/4/19 11:17 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

I’m 99% sure it is 15mm axle up front, 20mm axle in the rear. ‘98-‘99 models went to a 17mm front axle, and I’m pretty sure the bearings share all dimensions with the earlier bikes except ID, implying that my wheels could be made 17mm compatible up front with new bearings and spacer.

Probably unrelated, but I can confirm that pushing a DR350 non-cush rear hub (there is also a factory cush hub just to complicate things) out to a 25mm axle involves some expensive not-so-common bearings and some machining.

Steve
Steve New Reader
9/5/19 5:07 p.m.

I'm interested in all of it and i live in Portland.

When do you think you will be listing it? I too might sleep on the couch if i don't sell something else first.

Thanks,

Steve

ae86andkp61
9/5/19 10:54 p.m.

In reply to Steve :

I don’t have a set date in mind. The good news is that aside from the DR350 stuff, I also have another five motorcycles, so I’m not pressed to sell/buy in a tight timeframe in order to keep enjoying motorcycles. The bad news is that in addition to the DR350 stuff, I also have another five motorcycles, and the storage space, battery tenders, and insurance dollars add up quickly!  I figured I would start here with GRM and see if anyone is interested. Failing a package deal sale to a GRMer, I can list a few of the parts here and there on eBay over the fall/winter, and also chip away at fine-tuning the customized complete bike, with an eye towards putting it on Craigslist in time for a nice March weekend.

If you want to arrange a time to see the stuff, we can do that. If you are hoping to sell something this fall, let me know and we may be able to work it out.

If I get the custom bike totally dialed, the price may go up. If I sell off some of the juicy extras, the price may go down.

As it happens I have an all-star seasonal employee who is in his second year of college. He is a smart kid, a real go-getter, and has really impressed me with his attitude and his job performance. He is a true gearhead, DIY guy, has both mechanical aptitude and inclination, plus some real enthusiasm for mountain biking. This week is his last week of work for the year as he heads back to school. Yesterday he asked for my advice on what sort of affordable, versatile, beginner-friendly (but not something he’d outgrow quickly) street legal dual sport he should consider! Parking on campus for a bike is cheaper than for a car/truck, and 50-60mpg can’t be beat for a thrifty college student. Given his timeframe, he wants turnkey and cheap. I dispensed my advice, and told him I didn’t have something (My best guess is his budget is $1800ish or less) ready to pack up and ride off to school this week, but if he hasn’t found something by Thanksgiving or Christmas, he should let me know, and I’ll see if I can get one of the rolling chassis more complete for him with enduro wheels.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
10/12/19 5:36 p.m.

Is this a sale that is still going to happen?  I may be looking for a few bits and bobs for a motorcycle I'm picking up Monday.

ae86andkp61
10/14/19 2:07 a.m.

In reply to paranoid_android :

Yes, this sale is happening now! What are you looking for?

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
10/19/19 3:48 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

I'll send you a pm.  Thank you!

**Edit- pm sent.  Let me know if you don't get it for some reason.

joegrassroots
joegrassroots
4/30/20 2:17 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

Hi, I am looking for the Kientech Vortex airbox or other take offs like protection etc.

Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gPR3jEwbuMhdHO0hftB0Fzp87uZk0GolAD7LFg8c0sXF4SZFadtX7t5C6JY7WXmW