John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/2/09 7:52 a.m.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/02/report-harley-davidson-paying-dealers-extra-5k-for-each-buell/ said: In the market for a new motorcycle? Now might be a good time to visit your local Harley-Davidson dealership. Not necessarily for a new motorcycle wearing the classic orange and black Bar and Shield logo – not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's your thing – but for one of the last bikes from the recently discontinued Buell brand. According to a report from the boys from Hell for Leather, Harley-Davidson is sending a check to each dealership worth $5,000 for every new Buell sold. This knowledge ought to give customers a little extra negotiating power when it comes time to sign on the dotted line, no? Happy shopping!
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/10/harley-paying-dealers-5000-for.html#more said: Harley-Davidson is paying dealers a $5,000 per-bike incentive for each new Buell they sell, irrespective of model. Until now, this incentive was top secret, with dealers and Harley employees under strict orders not to reveal it to the public or media. Oops. Last thursday, Harley announced it was killing Buell in an effort to re-concentrate its rapidly disappearing resources on the mother brand. We also wrote an obituary for Buell, brought you news of Erik's fate and uncovered news that Harley didn't bother calculating how much money it would save, if any, by killing the brand. While neither our original source nor third-party verification know exactly why Harley is offering the incentive, it's likely that The Motor Company is eager to free itself of its franchise commitments and clear remaining stock before the Buell plant officially closes for good on December 18. The $5,000 incentive helps explain the fire sale prices we've seen on Buells in the last five days -- as low as $4,999 for zero-mile Buell 1125CRs and similar prices for the air-cooled range -- but should help you, the consumer negotiate an even better deal. You can now walk into a showroom with the knowledge that the dealer is extremely motivated to get you to leave with a motorcycle. No matter how little you pay, they'll get $5,000, so don't feel guilty. Of the entire Buell range, we'd most recommend the Firebolt XB12R (pictured above) and the Lightning XB12S streetfighter. These bikes are sure to become the definitive Buell motorcycles in the future and combine 250GP-like handling with the recalcitrant 103bhp, 84lb/ft air/oil-cooled 1203cc 45° v-twin. Expect supersport 600 pace with much more involvement and character. Let us know what kind of deals you're able to get.
confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
11/10/09 9:46 p.m.

Crazy. What the Hell are Harley Davidson thinking? Kill off all competition (even if it's your OWN brand) and then dump thousands (millions?) of dollars into clearing them off the lots as fast as possible? There was one Buell left at my local place two weeks ago. It was a Ulysses. It's probably already gone. (And when I saw it, it still had its full price tag).

Man, I'm pissed that I am not shopping for that second bike right now. I'd love to bring a Uly home with me!

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
11/10/09 9:53 p.m.

Once again proving Harley Davidson is full of fail.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/09 11:05 p.m.

Our local dealer is saying that all Buells are 50% off, and they're bringing in as many as they can - their Buell sales have shot up and they're trying to get as many as they can.

My boss just bought one, some sportbike. Said it was a good bike at $12k and a steal at $6k. It's not going to ship to the dealership until December.

I'll bet there's some money to be made here, I think you'll be able to sell one of these for more than the current price in a year once the supply of super-cheap brand new bikes is gone.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/09 8:08 a.m.

If I were in the market to buy..I'd get a Ulysses. I'd have a hell of a time finding one now I'd bet.

Dav
Dav New Reader
11/17/09 10:43 p.m.

My brother just picked up a new 1125CR. I might sell my Z1000 and pick one up too if I can find one locally for the right price... .

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
11/17/09 11:47 p.m.

I could rock a bike that sounds like a broken tractor for the right price... now, what can I sell to make this work!?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nc4RrD3udepBtGJwnEco6iHJDjneHpbuWTDyzXv7S7rQYEZpXZtKXkmRaFOaTyyU