1 2
Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/14/19 6:53 p.m.

So there I was scrolling through market place, as one does, and I saw this.

So I bought it.

I googled and guessed what it was based on the pictures in the ad. Turns out I was wrong and it's a new Huffy Cranbrook the seller bought for their kid and he never rode it. Single speed, coaster brake only.  For the price I figured I'd use it to ride around at events and other such antics.

Of course in the course of my googles I found this, so this may end up being a whole other rabbit hole.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
12/14/19 9:40 p.m.

Here is my Cruiser  https://www.electrabike.com/bikes/original-7d-7d-eq?g=stepover

I've got an older model White with Red rims

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/14/19 9:42 p.m.

Daylan you need banana hangers like now. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/14/19 10:06 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Honestly I might another bike to cut up and do dumb things with.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
12/14/19 10:13 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Honestly I might another bike to cut up and do dumb things with.

I still have this hanging in the garage for when the grand kids come around

This was my favorite

I have a 24" mountain bike waiting in the wings a donor front end for a drift trike

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
12/14/19 10:32 p.m.

This is mine.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/14/19 11:04 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

That's impressive.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/15/19 12:23 a.m.

and now I'm going to go down a rabbit hole about 'clunker' conversions.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/15/19 12:57 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Please get out of my head, thanks.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/15/19 1:57 p.m.

Aired the tires up and took it for a short ride down the street and back. Turns out nothing in this neighborhood is flat and my fat ass hasn't been on a bike in years. Almost ate the back of the XJ when the bike started rolling before I could get my feet on the pedals and the handle bars folded down. After tightening the bars I walked it down to the end of the driveway at the bottom the hill where the road is flat-ish and rode it around a bit. Bike rides fairly smooth. It will work fine for my intended usage. Finding another for a powered bike project (possibly electric) is tempting though.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/15/19 4:11 p.m.

I built an ape hangered, flat black pub crawl bike out of an old Cranbrook that I picked up for $5 at a yard sale. I covered part of the frame with beer caps. Cut up the chrome fenders to make a chain guard. Swapped the crank gear for a small  BMX gear. I dont know who they thought could pedal those bastards with the stock bearing. Beach bike my ass.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/15/19 4:37 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Well that makes me feel 3% better about the shape I was in after my short ride this afternoon.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/15/19 9:18 p.m.

I got bored and curious. Took the fenders off because they were all dinged up anyway. Then put a sticker on the chain guard. Unfortunately also found out the rear tire was flat again. It is tubed so that's an easy fix. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/15/19 9:37 p.m.

I buy those cheap on Facebook to rob the wheels and tires off of for vintage stuff. My klunker actually has a set of those rims on it. Tear them apart and grease everything before it all turns into powder. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/17/19 2:12 p.m.
Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/17/19 3:17 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I have been lurking on that forum the past couple days but somehow hadn't found that thread yet. Thanks.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/17/19 7:24 p.m.

That forum is the only other forum I frequent. Lots of good advice 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/17/19 7:31 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

I signed up but I probably won't be posting as much as I do here. I've noticed lots of dead photobucket but still getting lots of ideas and answering some of my dumb questions without having to ask.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/17/19 8:04 p.m.

Daylan, was it worth $40 to you?

Done.

(I like it)

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/17/19 9:54 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Definitely not the worst $40 I've spent this year. I'm happy with it so far.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/17/19 10:05 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to dropstep :

I signed up but I probably won't be posting as much as I do here. I've noticed lots of dead photobucket but still getting lots of ideas and answering some of my dumb questions without having to ask.

I post there a lot but I've spent the last year doing more bicycle builds then working in my car. The old heavy patina bikes are my favorite. Klunker styling is also my preference but there's something for everyone on that forum! Some of the bikes are crazy exspensive so I just look at those!

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/19/19 2:54 a.m.

The Saturn put me in a bad mood on the way home so I went down to the shop for a few minutes when I got home.

Crappy huffy has a front rim brake.

Cable and lever didn't show up so yet but atleast it's something.

Then I remembered its in the low 20s tonight and there's no heat in the shop so I went back in the house.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
3/3/20 7:40 p.m.

It has new grips and brake levers now. Rear brake and cables came in the mail yesterday. I'll probably mess with it sometime this week and try to get the brakes actually working.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
3/6/20 2:55 p.m.

No more white walls

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/20 3:01 p.m.

In college I welded provisions for a mountain bike fork on the front of a cruiser frame like that and put a chinese 2 stroke kit on it.  It made a lot of noise and was the scariest 30mph ride I have ever had. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XMxArjU2E6xxJJfGiwZfSP33Iq6m8gFxaMVjIWnQrGeSaeyGSgkItLzjUfAjwzc5