1 2
03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
4/17/21 1:49 a.m.

As some of y'all know, I fell in love with the Beemer I bought to ride many years ago, till I put my chopper back together. I'm into the 2 wheeled BMW's, and although I've never owned (or driven, for that matter) a Bimmer, I wouldn't mind a 4 wheels BMW one day.

Only picture of the 1988 K75S I bought in 04 I have is from a winter ride I made to my folks right after getting it. The faring had already been removed from mine, and a Standard's front end installed, although it did not appear to have ever been down, and only had 14K miles. I guess the P.O. didn't mind spending a bunch of money to get a look he liked. And the S does have a few nice features the stock C does not.

I slapped a junk faring on just for the winter, and it sure was an ugly thing!

It was the Marakesch Red, and the new one is as well

That's the only decent picture off of his current add. I had talked with him about a year ago, and was not able to work anything out at the time, but had seen other pictures, and he sent me a few more then. I'll post 'em as I find them.

He is quite a ways from me, but will be making a road trip soon, and will drop it by here on his way to the L. A. beach... Lower Alabam', IE Panama City, FL.

I'll def. post better pictures then!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/17/21 7:23 a.m.

I loved my K-100rs!  With K&Ns and a Supertrapp I could keep up with the squids AND put a 12 pack in each suitcase. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/17/21 8:35 a.m.

I love the smoothness on the 3 cyl 75, but I wish it came in an RS for the slightly larger faring. They did make a K75RT, but that's a bit too much faring. I would not have turned any K bike down, but by the time I actively started looking in the last 9 months, everything was a grand more (or even more than that) than it was a month before! I really should have bought another K back when I bought the F650 thumper around 2 1/2 year ago. I wanted to like the thumper, but never did warm up to it.

If I got a 4 cyl K, I would have loved a K1100RS. basically the same, but a bit smoother lines. Sexy!

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/17/21 9:09 a.m.

Congrats! That looks like a nice one. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it when you finally have it delivered.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/17/21 12:38 p.m.

This one does have 50K miles, but I've seen what these bikes can do if well maintained.

My other one got abused; sadly, by me. But for all its problems, at 33K, I know the engine itself is still sound, and might end up in a toy one day.

When I bought my first K75, I remembered them from when they first came to the dealers new. But they were WAY outa my reach new. In '04 or so, I found mine in Chi town, at a multi-brand dealer. I got it for 3 grand, cash, out the door (paid sales tax and title fees when I got it to TN) with just under 15K miles, and nary a scratch on her. Rode her around that day and into the night, and after dark, I noticed a puff of blue smoke ever time I shifted. Thought uh, oh. Now I know why I got it cheap! But I started looking on the inter webs, and found out BMW used nikasil cylinders, and it was not uncommon for the rings to not be fully seated till after 15K. Sure enough about a thousand miles later, the oil consumption went down, the puff of smoke went away, and the MPG increased just a bit!

That's also when I learned that many K bikes would smoke A LOT upon startup, if left on the side stand very long. With the head being on that side, and the low point then, a bit of oil could get past the rings, and it don't that much oil to make a really big cloud! Mind didn't start that till about 25K. I learned to always use the center stand. and that is one heavy bike to pull up on the stand. fortunately, even though a HD guy, I learned on UJM's, and had the technique. I've had friends that were way stronger than be that could not do it!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/17/21 4:01 p.m.

My R-90 smokes on start up, as did the R-1100rt, K-1200LT & K100rs, because of the forged pistons, once warmed they swell.  I understand they all have forged pistons.

But if I were in the market for a BMW .....

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/1/21 1:42 a.m.

I got great news last night. SWMBO, my financial manager, finally released the funds for the motorcycle, even though the transfer of the FL50 is not quite complete. She WILL be making me ride to work unless something special is going on that day, since the upcoming planed gas crisis is going to be brutal. I never had to wait in line during the one in the 70's, but I remember the horror of it.

Made the arraignments with the current owner, and he will be here Sunday, mid day. Yay! Much looking fwd. to having something besides beaters again.

Since I haven't ridden regularly in a lot of years, and I no longer have the same "situational awareness" that saved my azz many many times, I am going to pay for a class. Unfortunately I will have to go to Panama City FL (bit over an hr. S. of me) since the only place near me with a class is the local HD dealer. And I refuse to pay 5 times the price to support all the come lately lifestyle smoke of the checkbook bikers. (Where do the R.U.B.'s think the money for all the glass and chrome and antique bikes on display comes from, anyway?) Its obvious that me boycotting them for years now has not hurt them at all, but a man has to have his principles cheeky Yes, I'm old enough to remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous.

Anyway, no new pictures yet, but at least I'll get to see it sunday.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/4/21 2:24 a.m.

The "new" K75 S made it here Sunday! I'm a happy camper. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/4/21 2:32 a.m.

Ok, acted like it would post all 4, but only one made it. At least it a good one. 
I rode a few miles to a friends and back, and was quite pleased to find my mind was more "on"  than it has been in a while. Came back and told my wife "good news, I'm back already! " and I don't mean back to the house. Feels good.

rode a 10 mile trip around the block; long blocks here in the backwoods! Then 12 mile round trip to gas station. Tonight a 35 mile round trip to town. 
that's only averaging 25 miles a day... I'm just a shell of the man I use to be...

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/4/21 2:34 a.m.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/4/21 2:39 a.m.

In pictures it looks like the same red as my old 75S, but it's actually the darker Mystic Red, that is much prettier to me. Almost a wine color. 
I do wish it had the black engine cases/covers w/polished highlights like my old one, instead of the all as cast al. But I'll be happy since it's the prettier color. 
gonna rain the next few days, so I broke out the rain gear for the work rides. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/4/21 4:45 a.m.

Congrats on the K bike!   I really like those machines. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/4/21 6:37 a.m.

Love the chin spoiler on those, is that an aftermarket windshield?  My K-100 shield was so low as to be non-functional for viewing trough so I painted it black on the inside (makes gloss black outside).

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
5/4/21 7:29 a.m.

I have a top case for one of those, it needs the OEM luggage rack doohickey though.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/21 10:05 a.m.

That's a nice looking K75S. I think those are great bikes, and they seem to last just about forever. I ran one as a winter beater bike in the UK that had about 110k on it and was generally a bit rough, but soldiered on like nobody's business on my 120 mile round trip commute.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/4/21 10:56 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I destroyed my 88 K in a mere 33K miles (well 18K, since it turned 15K right after I bought it). but a new fuel pump, and I think it needs new injectors, and I know the entire driveline itself is sound. Someone apparently needed the gas tank more than me, when it was in storage, and folks were using my storage as a flea market.

But it had a hard life, two major wrecks (neither me nor the bike needed more than minor work, both times!) and one malfunction an a trailer coming through NYC. Long story, but again, only minor damage to bike, but it all adds up. I saw the trailer wheels a foot and a half off the groung coming across a few of those potholes! NYC in early spring - what fun.

First time I let the bike sit for 8 months, the gas ate the rubber fuel pump mount, and clogged the pump the first time I rode it angry No aftermarket parts at the time, so pump, rubber mount, fuel filter and hardy fuel line for inside the tank cost me $700 in o6 or so. Second time I messed up and killed a pump the same way, I just started plans for external pump, pre and post filters, and a petcock with reserve in the tank (needed repair for the well know corrosion caused leak on the left lowest point - from sitting too long with old gas and condensation. Are we seeing a bad trend I was caught in? Since my new married lifestyle I was not riding much. Fast Fwd till today... I just saw pump, rubber mount, filter and lines for $89.99 Kinda pissed me off, now that Ive let the bike become junk, due to cost of $700. At less than a buck, id have fixed it before it went this far. Oh well, hind sight!

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/4/21 11:00 p.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

This tail is not drilled for that, but I have the one form the 88 - somewhere. Unless that went away while I was being robbed blind a few years back. I replace the small clean looking tail rack with a kinda gungus looking GIVI rack, to mount their boxes on. If I put anything on this one, I'll move that fugly but functional one from the 88 to this.

That being said, I am interested in the stock small K75 box.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/4/21 11:20 p.m.

I saw online that there is a narrow cover, and a wide cover - only difference is the length of the "ears" on the center sectionshown by top arrows.

I would HOPE mine is the narrow, since I like narrow bars, and these are a bit intimidating, after having the touring bars on my othe K!

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/4/21 11:25 p.m.
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) said:

Congrats! That looks like a nice one. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it when you finally have it delivered.

Only defect in paint that is more than minor, is a bit of bubbling around the gas fill. He had told me about that before, but I had totally forgotten. The viynal paint protection in knee area, can be extended through top center of tank, kinda like a big stripe, to cover it. Still looks pretty good for 53K miles!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/5/21 6:19 a.m.

Check into the IBMWR Marketplace once in a while.  Stuff turns up but you also get a good idea of fair market value.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/6/21 12:50 a.m.
914Driver said:

Check into the IBMWR Marketplace once in a while.  Stuff turns up but you also get a good idea of fair market value.

I lurked their site when it was recomended to me after the first K. Lots of good info. Thanks for the reminder - I could not remember the name, and have had less time on the inter webs of late. You have saved me some hard deep thinkin'. And that hurts more than it used to!

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
5/7/21 7:14 a.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I destroyed my 88 K in a mere 33K miles (well 18K, since it turned 15K right after I bought it). but a new fuel pump, and I think it needs new injectors, and I know the entire driveline itself is sound. Someone apparently needed the gas tank more than me, when it was in storage, and folks were using my storage as a flea market.

But it had a hard life, two major wrecks (neither me nor the bike needed more than minor work, both times!) and one malfunction an a trailer coming through NYC. Long story, but again, only minor damage to bike, but it all adds up. I saw the trailer wheels a foot and a half off the groung coming across a few of those potholes! NYC in early spring - what fun.

First time I let the bike sit for 8 months, the gas ate the rubber fuel pump mount, and clogged the pump the first time I rode it angry No aftermarket parts at the time, so pump, rubber mount, fuel filter and hardy fuel line for inside the tank cost me $700 in o6 or so. Second time I messed up and killed a pump the same way, I just started plans for external pump, pre and post filters, and a petcock with reserve in the tank (needed repair for the well know corrosion caused leak on the left lowest point - from sitting too long with old gas and condensation. Are we seeing a bad trend I was caught in? Since my new married lifestyle I was not riding much. Fast Fwd till today... I just saw pump, rubber mount, filter and lines for $89.99 Kinda pissed me off, now that Ive let the bike become junk, due to cost of $700. At less than a buck, id have fixed it before it went this far. Oh well, hind sight!

I had an issue on mine where the fuel level sender would get intermittent when it got hot, and cut power to the fuel pump. They're known to get dodgy with age and corrosion, and the fuel pump gets power through the sender. Mine looked ok, but somewhere inside the epoxied sealed part it had bad connection.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/7/21 11:07 a.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

I had one main power wire in a connector that would vibrate lose ever once and a while - on a bike that is super smooth! But I could always jiggle (technical term) the main harness, and it'd be fine. Finally pulled those 2 wires out of their pins, and crimped 'em together. 
only pump problem I ever had was just setting to long with cheap gas (or whatever that stuff is they sell us now!)

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/7/21 11:16 a.m.
914Driver said:

They have a K1100RS for sale at a good price - might have tried that this time, but know I'd miss how ultra smooth the 3 cyl is. The K1100LT is too stodgy looking, and too much faring, but that RS would be a lot better rain protection than my little S faring!

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
5/7/21 11:20 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

There's a, I think, 3 wire connector thats known to vibe loose/get weird. It's the one under the tank. A lot of people replace them with trailer light connectors.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tZUDLxT6mzJ6C6FS4hcCDQNyhv8QERjuB65goA5xsVSRuYXmpPbpigf1oPTL1Vmr