wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/23/22 12:47 a.m.

So this shovelhead popped up for a stupid low price for all the parts. S&S 86ci motor, wishbone frame, really nice OEM tins and a price that I could not even touch a fresh motor for. Has about 5K miles on the engine then parked since 2007ish. Gas smells like varnish but the tank is coated and clean. Carb is likely full of varnish as well. Has rear disk brakes of all things. 

Should keep me busy for a while. Need fork seals, cleanup of everything and some tuning. All fluids tomorrow and a test fire if I can manage. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/23/22 7:57 a.m.

Im not a motorcycle guy really but that thing is a work of art. Matches your other vehicles well, at least whats in the picture. Is that a dune buggy? 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/23/22 8:17 p.m.

Front end has been rebuilt. New upper fork seals. Had to make lower seals out of rubber sheet as the paper ones I got were garbage and blew straight through in testing. 

set timing, checked the plugs and gap, used a bottle of loctight getting things to stop rattling. 

front end goes on tonight, then I am putting new fuel lines in and then maybe a startup tomorrow morning. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/24/22 1:10 a.m.

I like it.  I'm not a fan of choppers, but bobbers done right are pretty cool.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/24/22 10:36 a.m.

That has the proper look and should handle well.  Have fun!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/24/22 11:34 a.m.

That is really cool looking!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/24/22 9:59 p.m.

Thanks to a local GRM bro who welded up my clutch basket cover and figured out how to install the new belt which is on order. 

Rode about 15 miles today before I tore the clutch down to to the usual dry clutch noises that needed to be addressed. Turned out that it was the starter gear return spring eating itself and finding into way into the clutch and banging around and making horrible noises. Even for a dry clutch. 

The good is that my repairs held, the bike will do 65mph no problem, it turns like a 50's flathead due to the tires and the frame. So off to AAA to get the registration finalized and new tags. Had a very nice encounter with a Cop who gave me a warning a out my extermely expired tags from the PO. BIke is on NonOp. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/25/22 12:34 a.m.

Is "turns like a 50's flathead" a good thing or a bad thing?  Interesting handlebar, what are the ergo's like on this thing?

It looks really cool, no doubt about that.  About how much power does the motor put out?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/29/22 3:58 p.m.

Turns like a flathead. 

it takes some muscle to get it leaned over but once it does it just holds that line with so little effort. Must be the shape of the tires. 

40 mile shake down test. Got about 30 miles in and missed a shift and stalled the bike. Other then having to kick it over in the middle of a street and the clutch being adjusted a little to tight it's darn fine. Gearing is way to short with the chain to do 65mph for any extended period of time. Easy enough to fix. 

Also painted the forks gloss black. Replaced the primary drive belt. Flushed and bled the brakes and finished most of the loctite and degreased the entire motor and cleaned it. Also pulled the clutch basket apart and soaked the plates in brake clean and sanded them flat with 400 grit. No more funny noises when riding. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
32M38cTuGRWk7tHH9nBFHhObt6Vjmg6QSFyH1b0HPqUHHb7xFuUkQQW1WoBkpp8d