1 2
Brian(formerly neon4891)
Brian(formerly neon4891) MegaDork
12/19/21 8:43 a.m.

Part of my search of "what bike #2" has me noting an abundance of $3-5k metric mid weight cruisers. 750 shadows, 8-900 Vulcans, 800 Suzukis, and both 650 and 950 V-stars.  I'm excluding the bolt as it's more of metric a sportster, and I don't like how the rear head sticks out into my leg. Large solo rider both commuting and touring. My biggest concern is that it just won't be "enough bike".

cabbagecop
cabbagecop Reader
12/19/21 9:35 a.m.

I had a Vulcan 800 Classic as a first bike and commuted about 30 miles to work everyday with it mostly interstate. The 900 gets you fuel injection and belt drive.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
12/20/21 10:31 a.m.

I was in the same boat, kind of similar desires. The 800/900 Vulcs and 800 Boulevards seem to be the highest regarded in category. They both have a "touring" variant with soft bags, boards and screens readily available. The 750 Shadow is more down on poke over the 800s then you'd think, the 1100 Shadow really being the comparable bike. 650 Star would probably fall into the not enough bike category, and the 950 is a bit newer, so seems to be the priciest. I'd do the 900 Vulc over the 800 for EFI alone. Not even so much for the cold start and tuning, but just hate having to mess with carbs when the e10 pump gas we have sits for a month. I also had a Bolt 950, and you're right in it's more of a Sportster, it wasn't the head as much as the giant airbox. I did have a C-Spec though, so not sure how different the rider triangle is. Dark horse choice would be the Victory stuff. I saw quite a few of the Kingpins/Vegas for under 4k. Solid reps, not "metric", but definitely cheap because of being an orphaned brand.

Brian(formerly neon4891)
12/20/21 12:14 p.m.

E10 is why I would prefer EFI over carb, although ethanol free is readily available locally. My drive preference goes shaft, belt, chain. As far as the 800 vs 900 Vulcan, I would only go 800 for a really good deal, or for a Drifter, the faux Indian. On that note, there is an '04 Drifter with 5k for $3300 in WV. "Locally" there is a v star 950 tour for $5k, and those are leather look hard bags. As for wind screens, I'm likely to replace a standard one for a Memphis shades batwing. 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
12/20/21 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Brian(formerly neon4891) :

The Drifter is one that would make me break over the EFI thing too. IIRC the big Drifter got EFI in all years, but the hidden shock 800 is more elegant to me. I need something 2 up, and oh boy, that 2 up seat on the Drifter 800 is rough. You really have to have a tassled leather seat to hide the fender gap.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
12/20/21 7:12 p.m.

When I started riding, the Honda 750, Triumphs, BMW, and, of course, HD were the only "big" bikes. Before the Honda 750, folks were riding cross country on 250's smiley

Always gives me a smile when we have all been brainwashed into thinking a 650 is "not enough bike" 

Not enough for what? To break the speed limit in most any gear? To get too good a gas mileage? To not be too heavy to pick up by yourself? 
Tastes vary, but unless you've ridden a certain bike, and don't like it, don't dismiss one as too small... except to keep up with the Jones's cheeky

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
12/20/21 8:47 p.m.

VMax.

It's a muscle bike but it will ALWAYS be enough.

They're pretty cheap used .

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
12/21/21 7:49 a.m.

Indian Scout. You may spend a bit more but you won't regret it. Nothing like a Harley (which I consider a good thing).

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/21/21 12:33 p.m.
ShawnG said:

VMax.

It's a muscle bike but it will ALWAYS be enough.

They're pretty cheap used .

This is my vote as well. They rock.

Brian(formerly neon4891)
12/23/21 7:57 p.m.

I keep going back to the Drifter, but I'm concerned about luggage fitment. The unique rear fender seems to have fewer options to easily mount luggage and hardware, short of just drilling into the fiberglass, and the fact that anything mounted there would be unsprung weight. 

The prospect of having a pillion and sissy bar is it would see more use from a tall sissy bar backpack than potential passengers. 

Overall, I'm considering just about anything from a KLR 650 to an HD tour bike, with a price range of about $5k cash, up to $15-20k with payments. 

Brian(formerly neon4891)
1/7/22 12:14 p.m.

A renewed contender has reared its head again. A Sportster 1200 with the 4.5 gallon tank. 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
1/7/22 1:48 p.m.
Brian(formerly neon4891) said:

A renewed contender has reared its head again. A Sportster 1200 with the 4.5 gallon tank. 

I'd try before you buy. I found the ergos disagreeable, although there are so many variations over the years YMMV, if you can find one with mid controls and a sundowner seat, it may work. They're probably the shortest wheelbase bike on your list, and you'll probably want a rubber mount for comfort during touring. The vibes are real. The modern ones tend to have like no rear shock travel (<2") for the slammed look, and ride like poop over bumps. Budget for longer Progressives or Stillettos to keep your spine happy.

Brian(formerly neon4891)
1/7/22 5:38 p.m.
fatallightning said:
Brian(formerly neon4891) said:

I'd try before you buy. I found the ergos disagreeable, although there are so many variations over the years YMMV, if you can find one with mid controls and a sundowner seat, it may work. They're probably the shortest wheelbase bike on your list, and you'll probably want a rubber mount for comfort during touring. The vibes are real. The modern ones tend to have like no rear shock travel (<2") for the slammed look, and ride like poop over bumps. Budget for longer Progressives or Stillettos to keep your spine happy.

New progressives in back is the first thing I would do. I find with sportster and softail mids, I'm eating my knees, but Dyna mids fit well. Sportster forwards feel right, at least in the showroom. A replacement seat would be from Corbin, probably a classic solo. And I'm only considering soft mount sporty's. I almost bought a big tank 883 last year, but I went with the advice of hold out for a 1200.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I found a clean Ducati Monster with a fresh desmo service witching my cash price range.  It would check off one of my bucket list bikes. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/7/22 6:10 p.m.

Very old school friend of mine always called a sporty (and he still has his '69) a "motorcycle starter kit." Absolutely no reason to ride a bone stock XL; too cheap and easy to make what ya want outta one. 'Course that was back when sex was safe, and scooters were dangerous. Now that HD is a status symbol, the "hd tax" may be to high. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/7/22 7:18 p.m.

Ergos were the main issues I had with my sporty. I put progressive cartridges for a 1200 S in the front forks and ran road king air shocks out back to get I up off the ground. But at 6' with long limbs I could never get it comfortable to ride for many miles. With mid controls and even with a much thicker seat than factory my knees were still above my hips which is not at all what you want.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/7/22 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Silly question, I know, but did you not notice that before buying it? 
Back in my chopper days, all the sportsters (and both shovels) had fwd. pegs. Mod had no mid pegs. Would not die well with my current old man's back, but that's on me!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/7/22 7:57 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Wasn't an issue when I lived in east TN.  Amazing riding roads right outside the front door.  But when I moved to Texas and had to ride three to four hours before I could even find a road that wasn't arrow straight it became an issue.  So it was manageable for 8 hr or so rides but anything longer than that and it was torture. I couldn't stand them with forwards on them. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/7/22 8:11 p.m.

laugh

That would do it!

I never have done a lot of long rides, but back in the '90's, I'd ride 80 miles up to Richmond VA to see the folks, get a free dinner, and hit a couple of pubs on my way home afterwards. Including a few times on a 10" over springer hardtail with no front fender, and not much of a back one!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/7/22 8:36 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

The day I bought it.

The day I traded it in. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/8/22 3:33 p.m.

I think Sportsters actually look half decent with some raised suspension in the back!

Brian(formerly neon4891)
1/9/22 6:17 a.m.
jh36
jh36 Dork
1/9/22 6:58 a.m.

Triumph 900 thunderbird might be an option?  Late 90's version wc triple. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/9/22 11:09 a.m.

Looks like someone has already raised it a good amount.  Notice the chunk of wood under the jiffy stand to keep it from learning over too far.  You can get longer stands so that's not an issue.  

Personally I'm not a fan of those bars.  But if they work for you I guess that's all the matters.  I'd also either raise the rear more or drop the front to make the frame sit level or have a little forward rake. But that looks like it could be an extended front end so I'm not sure.  I just prefer a little steeper head tube angle.

I've often thought about picking another one up.  But I know I'd just end up building it just like the one I had... but with more power. 

Brian(formerly neon4891)
2/8/22 6:26 p.m.

Very good chance of picking up a V Star 1100 for under $3k. Only downside is carb, not FI, but passable providing it has a good cold start. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/22 10:07 p.m.

The good thing about those is that Yamaha has been making them since Methusalem was a teenager, so they're pretty well sorted.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q7sEpT4Q5pnxwIREherrDMrcOLeBJKsDhz6Ayg8Q25sBuVvdzVShZujyEGnmJpcO