1 2 3
Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
12/4/09 2:32 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: So, someone break this down for me: What are the odds that my firstborn and only son will crack his noggin in a severe manner with this contraption? Margie

make him wear a bike helmet with it.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2192693&CAWELAID=115768289 One of these painted to match the bike with a fake unit number on it would work.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
12/4/09 6:31 p.m.

I already wear a helmet, coming from a road bike.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
12/5/09 11:55 a.m.

Tommy, after looking at the pics its apparent that your bike will be dangeriously slow with that engine on it, So in the interest of saftey you should ditch it and install one of these:

That is a pulse jet engine. It is the same type of jet that the germans used on their V1 buzz bomb in WW2.

Here is a video of the guy driving it.

and if your mom won't allow you to pony up the cash for the purchase of your very own jet engine here are some Plans for its construction.

Tommy Suddard
12/5/09 12:09 p.m.

I tried a jar version once.

NO!

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
12/5/09 12:13 p.m.

LOL did you blow up the jar?

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
12/5/09 12:56 p.m.

well if your going to wus out on a pulse jet how about a rocket?

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2005-12/real-rocket-bike

Tommy Suddard
12/5/09 8:50 p.m.

Had it about a third of the way completed, then found statistics. Then realized I didn't have any fuel, then realized I was like 9.

On a different note, I worked all day on the bike today. I managed to mount a rack on it that looks good, which will hold a .50 cal ammo can. That should make it useful as a pit bike.

Then I stripped everything off of the frame, including the paint. Everything is painted now except for wheels, frame, and brake rods. I even took apart the seat and painted it. Also, I did the classic white paint on the bottom of the fender thing. Did they really do that to keep from getting hit by cars?

Friend from above picture is coming over tomorrow to help true wheels, and it should be assembled and ready for power tomorrow night.

And oddly enough, the entire bike is Whitworth, not SAE.

See all pictures here: (May take a while for them all to upload, so try again later.) http://gallery.me.com/tomsuddard/100975

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
12/5/09 11:29 p.m.

I got a chance to play with a Chinese built bicycle built with the engine today, noticed a major difference from conversions. The rear spokes were slightly heavier duty, and the sprocket bolted to the hub instead of being clamped to the spokes. Might be worth checking out conversion parts, I hear the conversions are prone to breaking spokes.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
12/6/09 6:45 p.m.

I just put installed an expansion chamber style exhaust and open-element style filter on my converstion today. It really boosted the power.

As I build this think up I will go to bolt to hub sprocket and disc brakes. The bike brakes that came with the cheap bike are not adequate

Here's a look a the expansion chamber for those who are interested: Expansion Chamber: close: Side: Bike:

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
12/6/09 7:27 p.m.

better brake pads on the rim brakes will probably help as a cheap temp fix. I have some SRAM pads on mine, they don't last too long (~1000 miles) but they stop very nicely. Cheap too, I think ~$12/pair

Probably obvious, but stay away from cheap brakes, The china made mechanical discs I have seen are scary.

Tommy Suddard
12/6/09 7:53 p.m.

Yeah, I ordered upgraded pads for what I have for now. It took two days of googling to find rod brake pads, and another day to find ones with a modern compound. I'm not planning on hotrodding it or riding in the rain, so I think well adjusted stock brakes will work fine.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
12/6/09 8:13 p.m.

Thanks for the advice on the pads. I didn't think of that

xci_ed6 wrote: better brake pads on the rim brakes will probably help as a cheap temp fix.
Tommy Suddard
12/7/09 1:55 p.m.

The motor just arrived, according to an email. The bus seems to be going real slow today.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
12/8/09 12:52 a.m.

OD Green is the new tan, look at the Army's newest most awesomest 8x8 vehicle, you damn right OD GREEN!!!!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/9/09 1:43 a.m.
wherethefmi wrote: OD Green is the new tan, look at the Army's newest most awesomest 8x8 vehicle, you damn right OD GREEN!!!!

A true classic never goes out of style

Tommy Suddard
12/16/09 7:03 p.m.

I finished the bike today, and it rides great. It took a while, because I had to order 28" tires. It's already very fast, and running on a 16:1 mixture, so it should be even faster when I switch to 30:1 after a few tanks. Tons more pictures and a video if you follow the link. In the video, the loud noise is just a chain guard, which I fixed soon after.

Entirety of Bike Build

The other video on there is of a different bike I built for a friend.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps New Reader
12/20/09 7:16 p.m.

In reply to Tommy Suddard:

turned out nice

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
12/21/09 12:34 a.m.

nice

Tommy Suddard
12/21/09 5:55 p.m.

I put the finishing touches on today, and rode it to the office and back (20 miles). It will go nearly 40.

Pictures of it finished with the ammo can attached posted at the link in the previous post

donalson
donalson SuperDork
12/24/09 5:14 p.m.

awesome man... i LOVE the old bikes with the rod actuated stoppers...

i've thought about building up something similar myself

donalson
donalson SuperDork
12/24/09 5:17 p.m.

also nice truing stand you got there... very GRM :)

Tommy Suddard
12/24/09 5:58 p.m.

Yeah, I forgot to make one until my friend got there, so at the last minute I made that. Took a total of 5 minutes start to finish.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
12/27/09 12:10 a.m.

Thanks guys...

I just ordered my engine kit today.

Can't wait for it to show up!

Just a thought. What name do you use for people who like mopeds? Are they considered mopedophiles?

Shawn

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
12/30/09 6:41 a.m.

I got a chance to see Tommy's motorized bike the other day, was very cool. The whole army thing comes together pretty awesomely.

That's pretty impressive riding that thing from your house to GRM and back Tommy, I would have been so nervous about those brakes.

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
12/11/19 2:21 a.m.

Tommy,

I bought a used one that a guy couldn't get running right. First thing I found was the way he had his mounted mede for a large exh. leak. On that small a two stroke, that made the A/F ratio WAY off. As I worked on it project creep bit me (hard) and I've never finished any of it.

I took the engine apart to detail paint a few things, and found (have since read about) the WORST casting and assembly you can imagine! Do yourself a favor, and while brand new, take the engine completely apart, and flatten every single gasket surface. You'll see what I mean, and wonder how any of them run with that many air leaks! Its easy to do, and worth your time!

And remember, with ANY motorcycle (even these), there are two kinds of riders... those that have been down, and those that are about too. The right gear does help.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ufeR6awpfQPsCvHHQUfV6SduOWam0mxglvBomi5AhLRvPXrepseJwO5VKVc4Mhwg