bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
11/17/21 10:04 a.m.

Seen this yet?

https://powersports.honda.com/street/minimoto/navi

It's Grom-sized, but has a 110cc engine and CVT and drum brakes front and rear and stickers for $1807 + $200 destination.

Part of me thinks anything that gets more people to try motorcycling is great, and this thing would be a fantastic urban commuter.  Another part of me wonders why anyone would buy this when the same $2000 would buy a nice used 250 that can go highway speeds and carry a passenger (the Navi does have passenger pegs, but seems like the passenger would have to be tiny).

What do you guys think?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/17/21 10:08 a.m.

I haven't seen drum brakes on anything newer than 50 years old! Can't believe it was cheaper to come up with drums over using disks from the parts bin.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
11/17/21 10:49 a.m.

I don't understand why someone would buy this vs. an actual scooter which has more practical storage. Seems like it's very niche, for the person who wants a Grom but without any real enthusiast attitude towards it.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/17/21 10:52 a.m.

In reply to bgkast :

They use drums everywhere else on the 125cc "standard" bikes.  Drums are perfectly adequate on bikes that need to make 1-2 stops from speed and offer very long service life while doing it.  A 9hp bike is never going to be hard on brakes.  

I'm intrigued by it, the Grom, and the step through.  As a bigger guy I wonder if they would be adequate for my comute of 10 miles 45-55MPH, then 5 miles urban <40mph.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/17/21 11:17 a.m.

I think its a cool idea.  I think the dealers will be salivating to get them and nobody will ever touch one for 2 grand.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wd7J90Vqq5KK3zRKpxxBoMKvSRIjdNwOaa9H60r5iL0AomXKRpb5rYalxKrUNUUs