1 2 3
Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
8/24/16 5:33 p.m.

I'm so excited It weighs around 100lbs less than the outgoing ride, and has just under three times the horsepower.

Any guesses?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/24/16 5:44 p.m.
Nick (picaso) Comstock wrote: I'm so excited It weighs around 100lbs less than the outgoing ride, and has just under three times the horsepower. Any guesses?

H2r?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
8/24/16 5:46 p.m.

FZ07?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/24/16 5:51 p.m.

I don't think you gave us enough clues. My guess is a Buell of some sort.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
8/24/16 5:51 p.m.

It has one more cylinder as well.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
8/24/16 6:20 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Nick (picaso) Comstock wrote: I'm so excited It weighs around 100lbs less than the outgoing ride, and has just under three times the horsepower. Any guesses?
H2r?

That would have something like seven times the horsepower LOL.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/16 6:27 p.m.

Fiesta

(I'll just let myself out of Sprockets)

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/16 6:42 p.m.

Water Buffalo?

FZ9??

Speed Triple???

Nick (picaso) Comstock
8/24/16 6:56 p.m.

Nope.

It was introduced to the US in 2015. It has a cross plane crankshaft.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/24/16 7:16 p.m.

Yzf r1?

Nick (picaso) Comstock
8/24/16 10:08 p.m.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/24/16 10:28 p.m.

I was about to guess FZ09, but knew I would be wrong due to 2015 release. Totally forgot about that bike. Congrats! It'll be a lot of fun!

Nick (picaso) Comstock
8/24/16 10:37 p.m.

I test rode it yesterday.

I'm coming off of an 883 Sportster so it's obviously a pretty big step up in performance and comfort. Really they are not very comparable. But I can compare it to the weeStrom I test rode about a year ago.

The FJ feels light, it's very nimble and light on it's feet. The Suspension felt pretty taught, especially the rear. It's not as stiff as my Sporty but not as plush as the weestrom was.

The power is a next level compared to the Sporty, it felt great down low in the rev range and pulled super strong up top. I managed to sneak in a full throttle blast through 1st and 2nd gears and let off halfway through 3rd. Man what a powerplant. I left it in STD mode, I didn't test A or B. No complaints at all in that department.

The brakes are good. I never got on them hard but they felt better than the Strom. The response was very good. The Sporty may as well not have front brakes in comparison. The clutch is light and the gear change is good, while not a solid thud/clunk like the sporty there is more tactile feedback than the strom.

The bars felt wide, wider than the strom. I have pretty narrow bars on the Sporty so it would take some time to get used to those. The pegs feel a little higher on the FJ than the Strom. Certainly not uncomfortable. The Strom was a natural fit for me, everything just felt right. The FJ is very comfortable but does not feel like it was built around me like the Strom did. As much as I love the Sporty, nothing about it fits me, which is the main reason I'm looking around.

I liked the dash, even though with the sun behind me at the right angle the glare pretty well blinded me. I have no complaints about the windscreen.

All in all it's an extremely impressive motorcycle. Plus it has Traction control, ABS and three rider modes.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/24/16 10:54 p.m.

I was going to guess FJ! Neat buy. I wanted one but ended up with 12 year old Triumph Tiger instead. Similar concept though. Triples are so sweet

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/25/16 12:15 a.m.

Awesome, awesome! What is going to happen to the Sportster? Keeping it?

Nick (picaso) Comstock
8/25/16 5:51 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61:

Unfortunately, I have to let it go. The dealer offered me a more than fair trade in for it.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/25/16 6:34 a.m.

Sharp bike, I keep looking at those. Maybe in a couple years when the Bandit is getting in high mileage range.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
8/25/16 9:10 a.m.

This day is dragging. I just want to go get it NOW!!!

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
8/25/16 10:54 a.m.

Really cool. You could have modded the bejezzus out of the sporty and still not ended up with half the capability of a bike like that.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
8/25/16 11:08 a.m.

In reply to SEADave:

Exactly. My wife finally agreed after I made a list of all the things I would have needed to do to the sporty to get it where I wanted it. And this is more capable out of the box.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
8/25/16 7:46 p.m.

Prepare for pics!

Love it, Love it, Love it. I need to adjust some controls to fit me but man I should have done this a long time ago.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/26/16 7:12 a.m.

Now.. throw about a grand to Givi-Usa and have touring options

tedium850
tedium850 Reader
8/26/16 8:34 a.m.

Awesome! The FJ09 is on the short list for replacing my tired, old TDM850.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
8/26/16 9:09 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: Niiice! Congrats on the new ride. Yamaha is on a roll lately. That 3 cylinder is an awesome sounding motor and the FJ/FZ bikes just feel "right" when I sit on them in the showroom. I haven't ridden one - and I probably shouldn't if I want to keep my wallet in tact if what everyone else thinks of them is true.

There are some deals to be had on left over '15s right now. I've seen dealerships letting them go for $7999. I didn't get mine that low but still $1500 below MSRP ain't bad, plus I got a very good offer for the trade in.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/26/16 9:44 a.m.

Amy? You sly dog.

EDIT: Now that I've read the whole thread , I see the actual answer has already been revealed. Congrats. Looks great.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DhuB9j793mz87jJdHD8ArJWl4tFUWdInyeldlzmzo3md9k0yKwMQ5om51lZ63Dhm