1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/29/22 3:44 p.m.

New update....now that I need to go wash the gasoline shower off.

Found the pump was not positioned in the tank properly, therefore not able to pick up fuel. 

After finding that bit of information,  fuel is readily available in the lines.

and...

all over the garage, myself, and the bike.       

Time to ventilate the garage for a while. It will probably be next week before I get time to work on it again. 

Fingers crossed 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/22 4:01 p.m.

Oops. But glad to hear you appear to have found, well, gasoline...

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/29/22 5:22 p.m.
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/22 5:53 p.m.

Sounds pretty healthy, too. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/29/22 6:18 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Nice smooth idle.  I was pretty impressed for a machine that supposedly hasn't run in 6 months

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/29/22 7:32 p.m.

Congrats!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/22 9:50 p.m.

Outstanding!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/30/22 9:43 a.m.

Neighborhood street was just ice/snow free enough for a tiny trip around the block.   

Love the torque of these big BMW bikes, no need to even roll the throttle on 1st gear.

Now...onto cleaning up wiring sins of the previous owners

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/30/22 11:55 p.m.

Wooo hoooo!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/13/23 10:30 a.m.

Not a lot of progress this week.   New front turn signals were installed and a set of dual-color LED driving lights ready to assist the old halogen setup.

Side note,  looking for a windshield for this bike if anyone has any leads.    ADVrider isn't showing much right now.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/16/23 8:35 p.m.

Because I can't leave things alone...

3Dprinters and online community makers are awesome.

Todays mini project.     Converted the legacy Bosch halogen to modern LED lighting.

An awesome individual on Thingiverse had developed a bracket that utilizes a standard 7x6 LED headlight to the factory BMW lighthouse.

Score!   16 hours of printing later I had a rough draft of the bracket and picked up an LED light off Marketplace for a whopping $10

Currently reprinting the bracket in higher quality and gray for a more finished look.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/25/23 12:51 p.m.

Does anyone else have a problem with motorcycles multiplying in your garage?  I apparently do.

Traded a little enduro for this FJR1300.  Doesn't seem to need anything besides paint. 

Now I have to make a decision on which one to ride come spring.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/23 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

ride them both this spring.  decide in the summer.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/25/23 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

mazdeuce - Seth once said that you can keep six bikes in the space that one car takes up. ...I eventually found out that was incorrect.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/25/23 1:48 p.m.

Insurance is the killer for multiple bikes in Michigan.  our rates are horrible (even for a 44 year old with a spotless record)

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/23 2:56 p.m.

Glad that isn't the case in Ohio, 1 bike or 6 is pretty much the same cost for insurance for me. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/29/23 12:28 p.m.

Spent a couple of hours today with the heat gun removing decade-old stickers on the aluminum luggage.

Most of the signs of the sticker residue are gone and should disappear with some more sanding.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/1/23 10:19 a.m.

Any day motorcycle parts show up in the mail is a great day!

Today?   an OEM windshield came with all the mounting hardware.

Really wish the garage was heated for washing and painting.  but, instead it's in the teens

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
6/19/23 3:16 p.m.

Quick update, now that the weather has been warm and pleasant here in the mitten, I've started ridding this beast sporadically (Riding the FJR more).

Outside of a dead battery and having to jump-start every time?  It runs like a tractor.   Torqy, smooth, and attracts much attention it's ratty weirdness.

Definitely worth the purchase and I'm glad I don't know the previous owner as I don't want to tell him how easy the "fix" was. 

Hoping to take it out on some dirt trails that aren't far from home in the near future.      It will be interesting to see how I can handle a 600lb pig in the dirt.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZyakmwjJC7JbTdrBQThabYigwXVIAVtAkGvpz5Wet19hkJNwtPbpJRrNQw5d2P0C